WWII USMC Bronze Star Grouping

vicjoy1945

Hey Guys !!

In keeping with the USMC/Navy Bronze Star medal theme of late...I was perusing my hard drive and found these photos.

Here's a nice WWII USMC Bronze Star grouping. This gallant marine received his Bronze Star for heroic acheivement as a vehicular radio operator during the Saipan-Tinian operation. He was later commisioned in March 1945. As you can see from his photos, this "mustang" had "movie star" looks and was a champion bowler in his hometown of Richmond, Virginia.

Included in this grouping are numerous photos, some newspaper clippings on his award of the Bronze Star, his acceptance of what I assume was a battlefield commission, his medals including a beautifully engraved Good Conduct medal and a fairly scarce US Fleet Marine Reserve medal, the 14th Marine Regt yearbook, a 4th Marine Divsion history, his enlisted and officer's dogtags, and various other papers/news articles and insignia not photographed.

I haven't seen too many WWII USMC Bronze Star groupings so this was a great find that I haven't fully researched as of yet.

Thanks again for looking...

Vic

post-352-1302456594.jpg

Hey Guys !!

In keeping with the USMC/Navy Bronze Star medal theme of late...I was perusing my hard drive and found these photos.

Here's a nice WWII USMC Bronze Star grouping. This gallant marine received his Bronze Star for heroic acheivement as a vehicular radio operator during the Saipan-Tinian operation. He was later commisioned in March 1945. As you can see from his photos, this "mustang" had "movie star" looks and was a champion bowler in his hometown of Richmond, Virginia.

Included in this grouping are numerous photos, some newspaper clippings on his award of the Bronze Star, his acceptance of what I assume was a battlefield commission, his medals including a beautifully engraved Good Conduct medal and a fairly scarce US Fleet Marine Reserve medal, the 14th Marine Regt yearbook, a 4th Marine Divsion history, his enlisted and officer's dogtags, and various other papers/news articles and insignia not photographed.

I haven't seen too many WWII USMC Bronze Star groupings so this was a great find that I haven't fully researched as of yet.

Thanks again for looking...

Vic

Does it say "Fleet" on the obverse of the reserve medal?

Bill

Outstanding grouping, what battery was he with? I love 14th Marines stuff, I was with them for 8 years.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Does it say "Fleet" on the obverse of the reserve medal?

Bill

Hey Bill !

Here ya go...not the rare "Fleet" named Marine Reserve medal you're thing of...this is the second version with full wrap brooch...still a scarce medal.

Vic

post-352-1302464062.jpg

Outstanding grouping, what battery was he with? I love 14th Marines stuff, I was with them for 8 years.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

hey Kevin !

I'll have to pull the grouping out to check...there are other papers/photos in the grouping that I did not picture.

Vic

Nice group! I don't know that I've ever seen a stamped set of oval 'tags before, very cool!

Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

Semper,

Ski

• 4 weeks later...
vicjoy1945

Hey Guys !!

Thanks again for all the comments !!

I really need to get this one fully researched although I suspect it will probably still require a FOIA since he remained in the Corps well after WWII. The end-date on FOIA request requirement is now pushing into the Korean War now as well I would suspect.

I think its a 60 year thing if memory serves me correctly !?! :think:

Vic

Thats a Super USMC Grouping you have there also Thanks for sharing this Marines info with us

Very Nice Documented Grouping Excellent :thumbsup: .

Jack's Son

Vic,

This slipped past me! It is a very nice group with a lot of supporting pieces.

Seems these are my favorites because we get more of a glimpse of the Marine himself, not just the medals.

That promotion document for example, he MUST have carried it with him for months (years) to prove he was in fact an officer!! WHO among his friends would believe it!!

These are the 'fun' moments we get to share because of this kind of material!!

Hang on to it! :thumbsup:

Man, that's a bucket list group for me. Awesome!!!!

Would also be curious to hear which battery he was attached to.

Best of luck with your research.

RJ

• 2 months later...
Raidercollector

Vic

Very nice grouping, Nice to see you went down to the bunker and pull this awesome group to share with us.

Thanks Nick