1943 T-Handle "Rescued" Today . . .

Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots

Found in a tool shed today at a local estate sale. "Well used" is being pretty generous in describing it . . . It's all intact, shows a bit of red paint on the spade like those that had Forest Service usage, and the oak handle has a very visible seperation running with the grain. But it is still a solid T-Handle shovel.

I'm "shovel poor"; :lol: I've always had a weakness for them. I just can't seem to walk away from 'em !!

"1943" stuck out like a sore thumb; that late date meant it was coming home with me for sure.

But the maker is what really got my attention: " I. S. & D. "

Thought for sure I could decipher it when I got home, but no luck so far.

Anybody recall who that company is ?

I'll try and get a picture or two added later.

Thanks in advance for the help !

Best regards,

Paul

Sgt. Boghots
We call that "authentic weathering from field use".

:lol: Very generous description . . . I'm going to have to borrow that one from you occasionally !

Actually, there are quite a few things around here it applies to . . . me included :think:

Best regards,

Paul

Give it a thorough all-over oiling, put a cover on it and I'm sure it'll revive well for display purposes?

Sabrejet

Paul, thanks for that link. I've had one of those '43 "I. S. & D." M1910s for many a year now, and just now got a clue as to who made it. :thumbsup:

Linseed oil and some good sealant has worked wonders on my used T-handles.

Sgt. Boghots

Hey, no problem ! - That one really had me puzzled . . . I actually struck out in the forum search engine itself, rechecked all my books, etc., and then got lucky with a Google search which lead me back to the forum.

I ended up hand rubbing a few coats of old fashioned Johnson's paste wax into the oak and wiped some onto the metal metal too. I've used that for years on weathered gunstocks to. Doesn't dry greasy or too smelly.

Best regards my friend,

Paul

Paul, thanks for that link. I've had one of those '43 "I. S. & D." M1910s for many a year now, and just now got a clue as to who made it. :thumbsup:

Linseed oil and some good sealant has worked wonders on my used T-handles.