1908-1912 USMC Officer's service collar emblem

teufelhunde.ret

Can anyone tell me why these are called "Ellis"? The photo of Ellis that everyone knows, shows that he isnt wearing these.

Mike

Can anyone tell me why these are called "Ellis"? The photo of Ellis that everyone knows, shows that he isnt wearing these.

Mike

Hey Mike - back from the East Coast?

In the first month of the forum, in Nov. 2006, we had a thread about at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=563 about what was called ""USMC 1904 "ELLIS" EAGLE GLOBE & ANCHOR EGA CAP DEVICE" - it sold for $998! Is this an "Ellis" EGA?

post-376-1189104806.jpg

Beyond that above EGA, I have heard it being called an "Ellis" pattern way before. Here's a story on that particular EGA, I feel partly to blame for that one being called "Ellis". A friend of mine, out of Florida, that doesn't collect USMC stuff, listed it. At first, it was covered in black paint. It had minimal interest at auction and brought only a couple hundred dollars at best. He sent it off to the buyer, and it was promptly returned as being "a fake". My friend showed it to me, and I told him what it was, and said that I was not interested as I had 3 of them already. I told him that the natural finish of these is red fire bronze and that if he stripped it with paint remover, it would look beautiful. I felt he could easily get $600 for it. He did strip it, and it turned out great. I told him that there was a picture of what I thought was Ellis wearing this pattern, however it wasnt Ellis. He, taking what I told him, labeled it as such, and it brought almost $1000 through competitive bidding. It is the highest I've seen one of these go for. A recent one that was on a tattered green officer's service cover brought $850 and one I sold a few months back brought close to that.

Mike