Great thread Ian! I'll have to add a few of the examples I have as soon as I can take some pictures.

Brian,I for one would love to see some of the jackets from your Great-Grandfather!.

Matt.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That is a really cool "Ike" conversion....love it! Thanks for adding it to the thread. ;)

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 6 months later...

I have an Ike jacket that i think is the 1946 version but i´m not sure (the tag in the pocket is washed out)

It has three small snap buttons for closing the pocket flaps and the buttons for closing the jacket have been replaced by a zipper.

The rest of the jacket looks just like the M-1944 jacket.

When was these snap buttons introduced? And the zipper?

/ Kai Robert

The zipper was non-standard. GIs had them added privately to stop the jacket from gaping and to give it a more streamlined appearance. Pocket flaps were often sewn shut too as they were hardly ever used. The pockets on M1950 Ikes closed with snaps anyway.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

The zipper was non-standard. GIs had them added privately to stop the jacket from gaping and to give it a more streamlined appearance. Pocket flaps were often sewn shut too as they were hardly ever used. The pockets on M1950 Ikes closed with snaps anyway.

Ok, so zipper was added privetly, on my jacket you can clearly see that it has been modified, the button holes are still there. There is also small snap buttons along with the zipper.

On your Picture of the M1950 jacket there is no seam on the back and no buttons on the cuffs. My jacket has buttons on the cuffs and seam on the back.

The pocket flaps has three snap button and there is no sign of any previus button hole.

/ Kai Robert

The Ike in post #18 is actually a '46 dated example.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

The Ike in post #18 is actually a '46 dated example.

Yes, i saw that, the one i´m thinking of is post # 22.

I guess my jacket is an M1946 with some modifications. I have a post ww2 photo of the owner wearing this jacket, the only ribbon on the jacket is the occupation ribbon + 43 inf. div and 102nr inf. reg. dui. and Tech. sgt Chevrons.

(he enlisted in Jun -43)

That's the revized 1950 pattern. Finer fabric, plain cuffs, buttoned tabs instead of side adjuster buckles/straps, snap-closed pockets and a rayon lining. It was also an improved cut...somewhat sleeker than the WW2 type.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It has the appearance of a re-tailored / cut-down EMs four pocket coat, though some of the tell-tale details are obscured by the paperwork. The lack of a label can be attributed to the fact that the bottom half of the coat was removed and along with it the label.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

There are many examples featured in this thread. As they were individually re-tailored, no two are exactly alike. I think you'll find that your example fits into this general category.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126317-officers-and-ems-re-tailored-ikes/page-3?hl=re-tailored&do=findComment&comment=1329605

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

There are many examples featured in this thread. As they were individually re-tailored, no two are exactly alike. I think you'll find that your example fits into this general category.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126317-officers-and-ems-re-tailored-ikes/page-3?hl=re-tailored&do=findComment&comment=1329605

Thanks, I found a couple of lookalikes here.

This jacket is on Ebay but i kind of lost interest when i checked up on the dog tag, the ASN doesn´t exist according to NARA-AAD??

The name is there with another ASN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121262203607?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_78wt_892