The Ike Story

Sabrejet

Thats nice.

When the USAF became independent of the army in '47, a new Ike was introduced in Shade 84 / Air Force blue. The design was very similar to the WW2 Army version except that the side adjuster buckles were replaced by buttons/tabs.

post-8022-1302350443.jpg post-8022-1302350460.jpg

• 1 month later...
JollyGreenSlugg

Thanks very much for this informative post and the helpful replies. I'm still trying to work out the timeframe of the Vandegrift jackets, and would welcome further details.

Do Australian-made Ikes turn up all that often? I'd like to add one to my collection at some point, and am wondering whether I should jump at them when they appear?

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks very much for this informative post and the helpful replies. I'm still trying to work out the timeframe of the Vandegrift jackets, and would welcome further details.

Do Australian-made Ikes turn up all that often? I'd like to add one to my collection at some point, and am wondering whether I should jump at them when they appear?

Cheers,

Matt

G'day Matt...from old South Wales! The Aussie-made stuff does show up from time to time. It is "out there" but being theatre-made and therefore less it common obviously commands a higher premium than regular US made Ikes/Vandegrifts. The byword is "patience". Trawl ebay regularly...also this forum's "for sale" ads. You might even add a "wanted" ad yourself (after you've got the mandatory 50 substantive posts under your belt!)

JollyGreenSlugg

G'day Ian,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly something to keep an eye out for. It seems that there is a good variety of theatre-made (or is that theater-made?!) equipment floating around. Could be a collecting-focus of its own.

Now to start my Ike collection!

Cheers,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the basic differences between the M-1944 Ike jacket and the M-1946? Outwardly they look very similar with the exception that the 1946 Pattern seems to be a bit trimmer fitting and not quite as long in the body. This is from a very unscientific sampling of two size 40R jackets I have. The bottom of the waist on the M46 is where the top of the waistband is on the M44. otherwise, same lining, same adjustment buckles, etc.

Can someone tell me the basic differences between the M-1944 Ike jacket and the M-1946? Outwardly they look very similar with the exception that the 1946 Pattern seems to be a bit trimmer fitting and not quite as long in the body. This is from a very unscientific sampling of two size 40R jackets I have. The bottom of the waist on the M46 is where the top of the waistband is on the M44. otherwise, same lining, same adjustment buckles, etc.

I think you've pretty much nailed it...essentially it was just a fit adjustment.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Collector .45

I own several of those Ike jackets. Several from 1941 and 1942 and one from 1950. Anyone know where I can get a good tech sergents Ike jacket from 1943?

I own several of those Ike jackets. Several from 1941 and 1942 and one from 1950. Anyone know where I can get a good tech sergents Ike jacket from 1943?

The "Ike" jacket is officially designated M-1944...they did not exist in '41, '42 and '43! However, it is possible to find EM's four-pocket jackets which have been retro-tailored "Ike-style"...but they aren't true Ikes. So, the chances of you specifically finding "a tech sgt's Ike from '43" is slim!

• 3 weeks later...

Top is a custom-tailored Ike to a 1LT assigned to SHAPE.

At the bottom is another officer's Ike that was custom-tailored as an Ike from the start. This one was worn by an Unassigned officer with SHAPE and European Civil Affairs patches, as well as WW-I and WW-II overseas hashmarks.

post-1107-1309909113.jpg

post-1107-1309909118.jpg

My great uncle's discharge paper work states that he was in the 3rd European Civil Affairs Regiment. I've attached his picture. Does any one think that his patch set up would have been similar to this officer's one. I am hoping someone is confident in their blurr interpreting enough to tell me if the patch on his shoulder in SHAEF. Secondly, did the ECA patch cover all ECA units?

Thank you for the advise

post-84694-0-06400000-1351522286.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can’t have this string without having a photo of the man this thread is names after. Here is a photo of Eisenhower’s “IKE” Jacket that is on display at the Pentagon. Not sure if it’s actually his or made up, but this is what is on display in the Eisenhower corridor within the Pentagon. Sorry about the quality of the photo, this display is behind Plexiglas.

Jim

post-105340-0-04200200-1355505099_thumb.jpg

Great addition...thanks! Ike wore several different "Ike jackets" during the war. This is a late...maybe even post-war example, given the General of the Army insignia.

When I saw this/your thread, I had to take a picture of the Jacket in the Pentagon for you!

Next time I’m in the Pentagon, I will ask the folks in charge of these historical displays about this uniform and post here for you.

Regards,

Jim

When I saw this/your thread, I had to take a picture of the Jacket in the Pentagon for you!

Next time I’m in the Pentagon, I will ask the folks in charge of these historical displays about this uniform and post here for you.

Regards,

Jim

Sounds good to me...thank you Jim!

I was looking for a photo of a CBI made Ike I used to own.

But, You don't want to know the number of USMC jackets that were converted to look liek German M-44's in the early days of reenacting.

Jon...I note your comment about MP uniforms. Did you note the MP Ike with directly embroidered bullion elsewhere in this thread?

• 1 month later...

Great thread, my Great-Grandfather was in charge of a factory producing Ike's down in Boston, MA. After the war, he was able to get Ike's made for his family in some pretty wacky colors to use as a coat in temperate-weather. I'll have to see if I can find a couple of them and get a couple pictures.