The Ike Story

Sabrejet

General Apathy

Hi Ian, nice topic and a neat group of jackets, in fact I ike it sorry that should read like it. ;)

Good to see the run all the way through to the post war ones and the blue USAF ones as well . :thumbsup:

ken

Ian, fantastic thread! Very informative!

When I joined the Royal Canadian Air Cadets (Canadian version of the CAP) when I was 13, we were issued RAF blue wool battledress jackets, but we all referred to them as "Eisenhowers" although most of us at the age of 13 didn't know why they were called this (I did though because I was a military collector and history geek even then :thumbsup: )

When I was 20 years old I joined the police department, and like LtRGFrank / Robert, our patrol jacket was an Eisenhower in dark blue serge wool. When we signed for the issue, it actually said "Eisenhower, blue, police " on the QM forms! We wore it for arresting bad guys as well as using it as a dress tunic for formal events. We phased them out many years ago as they were not practical for modern day police work.

I was always very proud to wear those jackets and call them "Ike" jackets knowing the proud heritage of the name.

I still have both of those jackets (along with several WWII and KW US Ikes :thumbsup: )

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a great thread Ian!!

Rick

Thanks for sharing that interesting info Rick. Evidently, North American law enforcement agencies kept the Ike style alive long after the military had discarded it!

Ian :thumbsup:

Excellent thread. This is a great reference! Thank you for posting this great resource for everyone... :thumbsup:

Excellent thread. This is a great reference! Thank you for posting this great resource for everyone... :thumbsup:

You're welcome...thank you.

Sabrejet

Ian, what a great thread.

It is a wonderful source of reference.

Thanks for taking the time to post it

Jules :thumbsup:

Ian, I might be a bit late but let me thank you for such a great thread. Lot of knowledge and pedagogy here !

Ben

Ian, I might be a bit late but let me thank you for such a great thread. Lot of knowledge and pedagogy here !

Ben

Merci beaucoup Ben!

Cheers Jules!

Thanks Ian!

A nice WWII AAC Ike is on my wish list for some time.

Now I know exactly what to look for! :thumbsup:

By the way, I nearly walked under a bus today in London. It missed me by 20cm. It's about time you people learn to drive on the proper side of the road. ;)

Thanks Ian!

A nice WWII AAC Ike is on my wish list for some time.

Now I know exactly what to look for! :thumbsup:

By the way, I nearly walked under a bus today in London. It missed me by 20cm. It's about time you people learn to drive on the proper side of the road. ;)

Hi Jeroen. That close?! You need to keep yourself intact for this year's "War & Peace" show! Glad you enjoyed the thread.

Ian

General Apathy
Thanks Ian!

Hey Sjef, you would expect to get knocked over by a bus if you walk around with your cap over your eyes ( see avatar ), also there would be no fun owning an American left hand drive truck if everything else on the road was left hand drive. :lol:

Knowing Ian with all the success he has had with this Ike jacket topic then he will be planning his next topic at this moment.

ken

Hi Jeroen. That close?! You need to keep yourself intact for this year's "War & Peace" show! .....

Ian

Yes, it would be rather disappointing to miss that instead of the bus!

Hey Sjef, you would expect to get knocked over by a bus if you walk around with your cap over your eyes ( see avatar ), ..........

ken

:lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Forum member 12A54 suggested that this thread should also feature the USMC's version of the Ike, a Vandegrift jacket. I didn't have one at the time...but I do now..thanks to another forum member, Patriot. It's a 50s example. The insignia was obtained separately and is period-appropriate for the jacket.

post-8022-1303576002.jpgpost-8022-1303576021.jpg

Sabrejet

Thanks for this great instructive thread Ian! ;)
For, a nice source of reference by the quality and the number of various models show here!
I personally adore ike jackets but for the moment, just have a late ww2 Vandegrift... No more space for new jackets for now, so i really thinking to moved away soon... :naughty: :lol:

Thierry

Ok here is my question for those who wore the IKE when it was issused and as a Mp did you like when you had to conceal a weapon under it for some of the dutys that the MP and CID guys back then in the day ..

I remember reading that alot of the CID guys did not like because it did not hide the duty weapon really well when it was worn under the jacket when it was need ..So is that true ..

This came from the years right after the war from 1946 to 1950 era when they where running around in the German area looking for the bad guys that where wanted for the trails that where going on at the time ..

One of the CID guys made a comment about if they showed up in the standard gear of web belts with pistol holsters attched to them and helmets then everyone was on edge but when they showed up in standard off duty uniforms of the gi in the areas they where able to get alot close to some of the guys that they where hunting at the time..

So it true about idea of the jacket not beening that good for those types of duty areas

Corpsmancollector

Nice Vandegrift jacket Ian, I'm really glad you were able to locate one :thumbsup: (I'll keep my eyes our for a sidecap for you)

I'm also glad to see this topic being enjoyed by so many. Not only has it taken years to find and purchase these fine examples I'm sure but it also takes a lot of time to photograph and post them, so a big thanks Ian! I'm sure this thread will become a cornerstone reference on the 'Ike' for the forum, and rightly so!

Will

Nice Vandegrift jacket Ian, I'm really glad you were able to locate one :thumbsup: (I'll keep my eyes our for a sidecap for you)

I'm also glad to see this topic being enjoyed by so many. Not only has it taken years to find and purchase these fine examples I'm sure but it also takes a lot of time to photograph and post them, so a big thanks Ian! I'm sure this thread will become a cornerstone reference on the 'Ike' for the forum, and rightly so!

Will

Thanks very much Will!

Thanks for this great instructive thread Ian! ;)
For, a nice source of reference by the quality and the number of various models show here!
I personally adore ike jackets but for the moment, just have a late ww2 Vandegrift... No more space for new jackets for now, so i really thinking to moved away soon... :naughty: :lol:

Thierry

Merci Thierry!