The Ike Story

Sabrejet

Great educational thread! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

IMO ... a good thread to "pin".

Tim

Great educational thread! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

IMO ... a good thread to "pin".

Tim

Thank you Tim...glad you enjoyed!

Ian :thumbsup:

post-8022-1302354864.jpg

I came upon this very interesting photo of Generals Eisenhower and Middleton taken during the Battle of the Bulge in late '44. Both wear USAAF jackets...Ike's is a B-10 whilst Middleton's appears to be an EM's B-14 given its light OD shade. Also, his jacket features side adjuster straps/buckles rather than the buttons and tabs usually found on B-14s. Probably privately procured?

Sabrejet

Fantastic collection and great history lesson! Thanks. Ian, have you considered adding USMC (Vandegrift) jackets to this collection? Agree that this thread should be pinned.

everforward
1st pattern EM's ETO jacket. A fusion of the British battledress and US OD Field Jacket.

post-8022-1302347433.jpg post-8022-1302347453.jpg

Hi Ian, thanks for this thread, it has been a great read..! :thumbsup:

FWIW, in most pics that I have seen of the 29th Rangers, they are wearing the 1st pattern ETO jacket in the above pic rather than the 2nd pattern...I'm confident the 29th had opportunities to wear both throught the war, but the Ranger Bn. was issued with the 1st style Jacket.

Terry, 12A54 and Everforward thanks for the your positive comments.

Ian ;)

PS. I don't have a Vandegrift jacket...though maybe I should? Feel free to add one to the thread!

Thanks, Ian. The "Ike's Story" is quite special. It was a very educating and interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Full-circle cross fertilisation! The '49 pattern BD was itself influenced by the Ike-style that the earlier BD had spawned. It now sported a notched collar/lapel and was designed to be worn with a shirt and tie, GI Class A style. Still more austere though!

post-8022-1302361733.jpg

Sabrejet

Ian,

All of this in one morning.....what sort of lesson plans do your students get??

A great labor of love, thank you!

Ian,

All of this in one morning.....what sort of lesson plans do your students get??

A great labor of love, thank you!

Hi JS...1630hrs here. Planning/delivering lessons is work....this is fun!

Ian ;)

Theres one more. I have it around some place in the house if I ever find it. In the 60s When I joined the Police Dept. the Dark Blue Ike was our Duty Uniform coat. If I find it I photo it and post it. Robert

Theres one more. I have it around some place in the house if I ever find it. In the 60s When I joined the Police Dept. the Dark Blue Ike was our Duty Uniform coat. If I find it I photo it and post it. Robert

Roger that Robert...thanks.

Johan Willaert

Not much more that one could add to this excellent topic, Ian!!

BTW is your 1st Pattern EM ETO Jacket lined or unlined? I have an unlined version which seems to be rather uncommon...

And I would agree with Everforward that indeed the 29th Provisional Ranger Bn were issued the 1st Pattern jacket only...

Not much more that one could add to this excellent topic, Ian!!

BTW is your 1st Pattern EM ETO Jacket lined or unlined? I have an unlined version which seems to be rather uncommon...

And I would agree with Everforward that indeed the 29th Provisional Ranger Bn were issued the 1st Pattern jacket only...

Thanks Johan. It's lined with khaki cotton.

FANTASTIC! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. :)

Justin

Thanks Justin.

Have you still got it Robert, or did you have to turn it in when you retired from the force?

Ian

Have you still got it Robert, or did you have to turn it in when you retired from the force?

Ian

I still have it but its packed away some place and I can't find it. Some day. Maybe when my kids clean out my house after I.m dead. :lol: Robert

There's actually one Ike variant which isn't illustrated here...because I don't have one! It's an unofficial variant cut like a regular Army Ike but made of officers' quality Khaki Tropical Worsted, like the suntan uniform. I chased one on eBay once but lost out to a sniper bid at the last minute. Does anyone out there have one they could post?

Sabrejet