The Ike Story

Sabrejet

AAF_Collection

Great thread Ian! I'll have to add a few of the examples I have as soon as I can take some pictures.

Brian,I for one would love to see some of the jackets from your Great-Grandfather!.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have an Ike jacket that i think is the 1946 version but i´m not sure (the tag in the pocket is washed out)

It has three small snap buttons for closing the pocket flaps and the buttons for closing the jacket have been replaced by a zipper.

The rest of the jacket looks just like the M-1944 jacket.

When was these snap buttons introduced? And the zipper?

/ Kai Robert

The zipper was non-standard. GIs had them added privately to stop the jacket from gaping and to give it a more streamlined appearance. Pocket flaps were often sewn shut too as they were hardly ever used. The pockets on M1950 Ikes closed with snaps anyway.

The zipper was non-standard. GIs had them added privately to stop the jacket from gaping and to give it a more streamlined appearance. Pocket flaps were often sewn shut too as they were hardly ever used. The pockets on M1950 Ikes closed with snaps anyway.

Ok, so zipper was added privetly, on my jacket you can clearly see that it has been modified, the button holes are still there. There is also small snap buttons along with the zipper.

On your Picture of the M1950 jacket there is no seam on the back and no buttons on the cuffs. My jacket has buttons on the cuffs and seam on the back.

The pocket flaps has three snap button and there is no sign of any previus button hole.

/ Kai Robert

The Ike in post #18 is actually a '46 dated example.

Yes, i saw that, the one i´m thinking of is post # 22.

I guess my jacket is an M1946 with some modifications. I have a post ww2 photo of the owner wearing this jacket, the only ribbon on the jacket is the occupation ribbon + 43 inf. div and 102nr inf. reg. dui. and Tech. sgt Chevrons.

(he enlisted in Jun -43)

That's the revized 1950 pattern. Finer fabric, plain cuffs, buttoned tabs instead of side adjuster buckles/straps, snap-closed pockets and a rayon lining. It was also an improved cut...somewhat sleeker than the WW2 type.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is this?. Looks like an Ike jacket but pocket flaps are different and you can see all of the buttons. Don´t look like a brit made, they have pointed pocket flaps, or?

post-9415-0-33293000-1391244198.jpg

Johan Willaert

No label in one of the pockets, either chest or inside???

Looking at the jacket, I was thinking Australian made at first glance but the ETO related insignia suggest otherwise...

Maybe French or Belgian Made???

It has the appearance of a re-tailored / cut-down EMs four pocket coat, though some of the tell-tale details are obscured by the paperwork. The lack of a label can be attributed to the fact that the bottom half of the coat was removed and along with it the label.

There are many examples featured in this thread. As they were individually re-tailored, no two are exactly alike. I think you'll find that your example fits into this general category.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126317-officers-and-ems-re-tailored-ikes/page-3?hl=re-tailored&do=findComment&comment=1329605

There are many examples featured in this thread. As they were individually re-tailored, no two are exactly alike. I think you'll find that your example fits into this general category.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126317-officers-and-ems-re-tailored-ikes/page-3?hl=re-tailored&do=findComment&comment=1329605

Thanks, I found a couple of lookalikes here.

This jacket is on Ebay but i kind of lost interest when i checked up on the dog tag, the ASN doesn´t exist according to NARA-AAD??

The name is there with another ASN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121262203607?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_78wt_892

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Obsolete_Battleship

One thing to keep in mind is the "Ike" jacket was intended originally as a field uniform, hence why the label is as such. It was supposed to be the American made version of the ETO jacket. It just sort of morphed into the default "class A". Hence why the post war 1947(?) and 1950 versions are cut differently- intended as the latter

Back when I started collecting in the 90s, I got a lot of my uniforms from the veterans themselves or the families, I noticed that guys in the who where in the PTO seemed to have had fewer Ikes issued to them at the end of the war (i,e. what they wore home) than guys in the ETO- then it dawned on me....the uniform was intended as a field uniform...and since the PTO had a lower priority for supplies (Army wise) than Europe. Especially for wool clothing...why so many PTO guys still had service coats at the end. 

• 3 months later...

A ETO Jacket being worn by 109th Infantry 28th Infantry Division Staff Officer in Colmar Germany in mid February 1945, after the battle and the French take it over again.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, patches said:

A ETO Jacket being worn by 109th Infantry 28th Infantry Division Staff Officer in Colmar Germany in mid February 1945, after the battle and the French take it over again.

Capture.PNG

He's also wearing standard British Battledress trousers

Map pocket flap on left thigh and you can see the shell dressing pocket on the right hip below the pistol belt.

TBF It also looks like a Standard ''Austerity Pattern'' Battledress jacket. I say that as the "Waist band" seems to be the buckle type on a longer band, not the button on a short tab