VFW organizational structure

jcroach1

My mother recently gave me my father's VFW cap/hat. I know nothing about the organization's structure. Anyone have a chart or know how the post/state/district leadership structure works?

The hat is from Indiana and is dated '70-'71. It says "District 6 Sr. Vice Commander"

Thanks for your help.

The lowest level is the Post....next is the County Council, although most of those are gone, or will be gone soon (In fact, we disbanded our County Council tonight)...next is the District.....in Ohio we have something like 12 Districts...next is the State....then National. County Councils might have 10 - 20 Posts in it...the District might have 40 or more...it will vary with each state.....at each level of Command, the color of piping changes on the hat....Gold for regular members at the Post Level.....Blue for County Council...Green for District, and Red at the State level...National level officers have silver piping on their hats.....then there's "All State" and "All American" hats...special colors for life members...etc.....it can be a real challenge deciphering VFW hats at a convention.....

Mark sends

The lowest level is the Post....next is the County Council, although most of those are gone, or will be gone soon (In fact, we disbanded our County Council tonight)...next is the District.....in Ohio we have something like 12 Districts...next is the State....then National. County Councils might have 10 - 20 Posts in it...the District might have 40 or more...it will vary with each state.....at each level of Command, the color of piping changes on the hat....Gold for regular members at the Post Level.....Blue for County Council...Green for District, and Red at the State level...National level officers have silver piping on their hats.....then there's "All State" and "All American" hats...special colors for life members...etc.....it can be a real challenge deciphering VFW hats at a convention.....

Mark sends

Thanks for your help Mark. That's just what i was looking for.