• 2 months later...
Greetings:I am a new member to this forum and after reading it I thin it is great.I registered today and this is my first attempt to post.Thanks craig to directing me to this thread.WW2 headgear has always been my passion especially WW2 U.S.It has such a unique style and appearance as well as a respected reputation.My first posting will be of a MKII Green talkers helmet .Pictures of the green MKII can be seen being used in file photos during the early Pacific campaign.These were issued right out of stores in their original OD paint and were not yet painted navy grey and later blue I believe . It also has a rather unique khaki webbing chinstrap and green cloth covered foam padding.It is a favourite of mine andI look forward to your comments.

Best Regards

Zeke

Hi,

Like I said in an old post about this helmet, it's not an US Navy helmet, but a West-German helmet for the BundesMarine.

It's exactly a first model, I've just bought a second model made by Schuberth.

BundesMarine1.jpg

BundesMarine2.jpg

The first model is a little bit different on the liner and chinstrap.

The second model have a liner most likely the US one.

++

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I think you find that on Navy ship's damage control teams had red helmets.

Not always, red was also used to indicate ordnance personnel in WW2 and later.

The real indicator is what is stenciled on the helmet.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a collector of U.S. WW1 & WW2 helmets since 1967 or '68. It was briefly interupted by my service in the U.S.N., during which time I had the privilidge of determining for myself, that I would never have a phone-talkers helmet in my collection.

I wear a size 7-1/4" hat. - The phone-talker's helmet was designed for about a size 7.

Wear one for anything over about two hours during "general quarters", and you won't have one in your collecton either.

Best regards,

Paul

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have any authoritative evidence as to when the USN Talker Helmets were first used in combat?!? Pearl Harbor era? Coral Sea? Midway?

I just got a darn close to new condition talker with chinstrap and I've been trying successfully so far to keep it off my 9 year old son's head 'cause he thinks it looks like a Star Wars rebel helmet!

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Greetings:I am a new member to this forum and after reading it I thin it is great.I registered today and this is my first attempt to post.Thanks craig to directing me to this thread.WW2 headgear has always been my passion especially WW2 U.S.It has such a unique style and appearance as well as a respected reputation.My first posting will be of a MKII Green talkers helmet .Pictures of the green MKII can be seen being used in file photos during the early Pacific campaign.These were issued right out of stores in their original OD paint and were not yet painted navy grey and later blue I believe . It also has a rather unique khaki webbing chinstrap and green cloth covered foam padding.It is a favourite of mine andI look forward to your comments.

Best Regards

Zeke

I would like to know where you found a chin strap like that ? I have an OD painted helmet also.

Thanks, CM 1

I would like to know where you found a chin strap like that ? I have an OD painted helmet also.

Thanks, CM 1

Thanks the German chinstrap for their copy. Can you post yours please?

Grandson of Command Sergeant Major Max I Gray U.S Army

Also grandson of CWO-3 Arthur WillIam Seabury jr. USMC

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

These are iconic helmets !!

But no matter how cool they lookin the movies, I refuse to own one in my collection, because i have a fat head size 7-1/4" , and they are absolutely unwearanble if you have a fat head like mine !!

They did not come with an adjustable liner and after a short time with one on, I had a migraine head ache.

boghots

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 11 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.