DSCN4997.jpg

on cold weather army goretex boot, un zipped gaitor

DSCN4999.jpg

how it looks under of gaitor

DSCN4996.jpg

tag from maker,and year

cheers ken,norway.

al sort of experimental usmc arctic gear wanted :thumbsup:

Ken, those are nearly identical to the ones we had that I told you about...nice find! Notice the strange "stirrup" on the bottom, I had trouble explaining that, but you see what I mean. :twothumbup:

How do you make the Marine Recon connection? They look like what the label says Ski Gaiters used in cross country skiing to keep snow out of your ski boots and in spite of the numbers the label dose not look military to me.

msgt norway

the us marines recon trailed this gaitors in norway from 1990 to 1993

and i was there so thats how i know.

tobad i dont have pictures from that time.

cheers ken

msgt norway

btw there was 2 models in trail at that time,this long gaitor and one short style

with less fabric around the tipp of the boot.

i do not have the short model.

cheers ken

Different than the gaiters that I have. Mine has a hard plastic toe cap and a strap that goes under the heel. The material on the top of the foot is dark brown if I recall correctly.

msgt norway

hawkdriver can you fix a picture of them when gett home.

i cant remember to have seen them used here in norway

so it would be cool to see them :thumbsup:

cheers ken

How do you make the Marine Recon connection? They look like what the label says Ski Gaiters used in cross country skiing to keep snow out of your ski boots and in spite of the numbers the label dose not look military to me.

That's a pretty typical label for limited procurement material. There are a number of agencies and commands outside of DLA that procure material on their own like this. M67854 is an agency code for MARCORSYSCOM (the Marine Corps Systems Command at Quantico). These came from a contract let in 1992 and were probably a modification of an off-the-shelf commercial design that USMC had produced in woodland for the test.

msgt norway

thank you B229 :) :) for the info :thumbsup:

cheers ken,norway

now in search of the short style gaitor and other special/experimental usmc gear.

thank you B229 :) :) for the info :thumbsup:

cheers ken,norway

now in search of the short style gaitor and other special/experimental usmc gear.

No problem. I actually had the opportunity to acquire some of this stuff from a SEAL back in the early-mid 1990's, including the style of gaitors you are probably looking for. They were woodland goretex and only covered the top of the footwear, not the whole toe, and were shorter in height. He also had commercial woodland goretex jacket and trousers, prototype ECWCS goretex, the woodland goretex mittens, etc. The coolest thing were the boots: like jungle boots, but in brown rough-out leather and brown nylon with soles notched for ski bindings. But alas, I don't collect Navy....so I foolishly passed. Oh well.

msgt norway

B229 wrote

so I foolishly passed.

msgthansen wrote

:crybaby: :crybaby:

tobad,i would have given a good hand with $$$ for that lot

cheers ken

hawkdriver can you fix a picture of them when gett home.

i cant remember to have seen them used here in norway

so it would be cool to see them :thumbsup:

cheers ken

Keep on me, things are starting to compress and I may forget, only 28 more days before I will be back in Ft. Livingroom. Remind me and I will dig them out and get a picture for you.

msgt norway

thank you sir,il remind you :thumbsup:

stay safe,best from me and my famely in norway :salute:

ken,norway

craig_pickrall

I think this is the pair of boots B229 mentioned. There are two other similar pair that will follow. I suspect all branches of the service were involved in testing these. All 3 pair I show came from Ft Bragg. All 3 pair of boots are experimental. The only markings are size. There are hand written test numbers in two pair which is typical of experimental items.

This first pair is a jungle boot style but it is Gortex lined. It has a Panama style sole but with a square toe and grooved heel for ski bindings. It is all brown. Oil finished leather.

post-5-1302210562.jpg

post-5-1302210569.jpg

post-5-1302210576.jpg

post-5-1302210582.jpg

post-5-1302210590.jpg

craig_pickrall

The second pair is very similar to the first except that they have a chevron pattern sole and no allowance for ski bindings.

post-5-1302211028.jpg

post-5-1302211035.jpg

post-5-1302211042.jpg

post-5-1302211051.jpg

post-5-1302211057.jpg

craig_pickrall

The third pair is still Gortex lined but it is a full leather oil finished outer. It has the Panama sole but no allowance for ski bindings.

post-5-1302211246.jpg

post-5-1302211252.jpg

post-5-1302211259.jpg

post-5-1302211266.jpg

post-5-1302211273.jpg

post-5-1302211279.jpg

craig_pickrall

This pair of gaiters came out at the same time as the first pattern Gortex suit. I believe they are either experimental or first issue but there are no military markings. These came from Ft Bragg also.

There is a toe cap and an elastic band that goes under the arch of the foot. This is a pretty poor design because it couldn't survive very long in actual use and it also is a trap for every unwanted thing you step on.

post-5-1302211663.jpg

post-5-1302211670.jpg

post-5-1302211676.jpg

post-5-1302211682.jpg

craig_pickrall

This second pair of gaiters came from Ft Bragg also. I believe they are either experimental or commerical. Again there are no military markings.

This pair is a little more pratical than the first. They sit on top of the boot rather than fitting under the sole. The brass hook shown in the last photo attaches to the bottom of the boot laces to secure it. They have a leather strap to pass under the arch. This may be the pair that B229 mentioned that the SEAL had.

post-5-1302212119.jpg

post-5-1302212126.jpg

post-5-1302212132.jpg

post-5-1302212138.jpg

post-5-1302212144.jpg

This pair of gaiters came out at the same time as the first pattern Gortex suit. I believe they are either experimental or first issue but there are no military markings. These came from Ft Bragg also.

There is a toe cap and an elastic band that goes under the arch of the foot. This is a pretty poor design because it couldn't survive very long in actual use and it also is a trap for every unwanted thing you step on.

post-5-1302211663.jpg

post-5-1302211670.jpg

post-5-1302211676.jpg

post-5-1302211682.jpg

There you go MSG NORWAY, those are teh Gaiters that I have. Only difference is that the pair I have has a hard plastice toe plate on the bottom.

I have the same ones hawk driver has with the rubber toe block.

Additionally, I was issued the chevron soled brown jungle boots in Germany and I also have a pair of the square toed ones but in black. They were billed as M1983 SF boots.

Adventure Tech did not exist as a business until 92. The owner worked for someone else until then.

• 9 months later...

post-5-1302211663.jpg

post-5-1302211670.jpg

post-5-1302211676.jpg

post-5-1302211682.jpg

I have a set of these and used them in winter in 6 inches of snow. When I took them off I found a snow level inside of the boot more than what I was walking in. A very very poor design on the hard rubber toe meant you were slipping when climbing.

USMC-RECON0321
the us marines recon trailed this gaitors in norway from 1990 to 1993

and i was there so thats how i know.

tobad i dont have pictures from that time.

cheers ken

Hello,

Not sure if this picture will come out okay or not, I tried taking a picture of my 35mm picture (remember those) but this is me in the USMC in 1989 2/2 Fox Co. Cold weather training, Norway. I volunteered to test a new cold weather boot that would work better with the cross country skis, they had a square toe and hard sole with the woodland gaitors. They did work much better with the skis and snow shoes but the mickeymouse boots keept my feet much warmer. This is the only pic I could find that showed the boots. Also note the good use of the snowshoes to make a seat and melting snow in my canteen cup for drinking water. I also remember many of the cold weather trainers at Bridgeport CA. wore woodland gaitors in 1989 as a test.

post-33000-1327418583.jpg

post-33000-1327418597.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

I thought at the end of our cold weather deployment they would let me keep the boots I tested (and froze in), but they didn't and took them back. Maybe I shoule have wrote a better review of them??

USMC-RECONDO321

that was a realy cool picture!!! and with that hard to gett gaitors :thumbsup:

and the canteen cup arctic!!!

did you train at Bardufoss or setermoen?

and do you have more pictures from exercises like that?

many thanks from ken in norway

USMC-RECON0321
USMC-RECONDO321

that was a realy cool picture!!! and with that hard to gett gaitors :thumbsup:

and the canteen cup arctic!!!

did you train at Bardufoss or setermoen?

and do you have more pictures from exercises like that?

many thanks from ken in norway

I have an entire photo album of the 3 month cold weather training we did, One month in Bridgport Ca., One month in Ft McCoy Wis. and the last month conducting war games in Tromso Norway. What are you looking for?

I'll post a few.