Sign in to follow this  
bayonetman

M1916 Cleaning Rod Case, Fungus Proofed 1945

Sometime back I decided to photograph all of my odds and ends as I got them ready to sell. Wish I had begun doing so much earlier, but better late than never I guess. Didn't realize how much had accumulated over the years and now that I am preparing to retire and move to an apartment, I have been digging out things that haven't seen the light of day for 30 years or more.

One of those things is a Model of 1916 Cleaning Rod as used with the Model 1903 and Model 1917 rifles in the case that it was issued in. The case is marked as being made by R.H. Long in October 1918, but on the body of the case is the marking FUNGUS PROOFED - TYPE 1 over J C BIRCK CLNG CO Inc - 1945. Since the M1 jointed rod was adopted in 1931 I would have thought the 1916 rod would have been phased out even before WW2, so why was this case Fungus Proofed in 1945? Was it being used for something else by then? Anyone have any information?

Modelof1916Label.jpg

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

I cannot attest to actual knowledge of their use, but in a conversation with a former Marine scout/sniper from the late 70's or early 80's, he stated that some were still being issued with the M40's then the M40A1. Is is true? Who knows. Is it possible. Could be. Marines never throw anything away, and Uncle sugar still issues WWII blankets to the soldiers in the sandbox. So to your question, it is very possible they saw some limited use thru the war. Just my .02.

Again , before someone berates me this about hearsay, this was a private conversation between the 2 of us some 18 years ago at an airshow, so I do not remember his name just the conversation. I hope this helps offer an explanation about it use after WWI.

Chris

Just as an add on to the above post of mine, here are a couple of other "oddities" that I ran into while getting the Model 1916 rods photographed.

1. A very short section version of the rod. If I remember correctly these were done commercially with surplus rods, I think by Marbles, and sold as part of a cleaning kit. The threads are not the same on all ends, and it must go together in just the right order. Also the added patch holder which was of course not military.

1916Commercial.jpg

2. Not sure if this was done on a unit level or just by an individual serviceman. The double hook is steel and the remains of a marking on the body (possibly an individuals laundry mark) makes me think this one saw WW2 service. It would certainly be necessary to be sure the fastener was firmly snapped.

FieldMods.jpg

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.