"Ka-Bar" presented by the Sgt Mjr of the USMC

joefriday22

joefriday22

A friend of mine, retired 10th Sergeant Major of the United States Marine Corp, Robert E. Cleary, gave this to me several years ago.

Sgt. Major Cleary served our country for 36 years including several years in Korea and three tours in Viet Nam. A true gentleman (although as hard core as they come) and as modest as the day is long. If you asked him if he was in the MC he would just say that he spent a few years in the Corp. He was a friend of mine for quite some time before I found out that he was THE Sergeant Major of the USMC...he previoulsy had simply said that he was a sergeant...gees.

The Sgt. Maj. was a "real" Marnine. He was all about looking out for the E1 and never forgot where he came from.

His 3rd tour in VN he flew over 150 combat missions as a door gunner and cleaned his own 50 cal after each mission...and he was a Sgt. Major at the time. He also took the mechanics and flight crews out on ambushes at night. Over several months they captured a large number of VC which earned him a medal. He told me that he didn't know much about helicopters so he stuck to what he knew..ground work...heck of a guy. I'm sure that there were not many Sgt. Major's out in the bush.

One day I asked the Sgt. Maj. if he had any of his old Ka-Bars left... and he gave me this.

The USMC was issueing Ontario's at the time he was the SgtMaj, he had a few engraved to give away but never did.

SgtMjrRobertECleary.jpg

"Presented by SGTMAJ Robert E. Cleary"

SgtMjrknife1.jpg

"Tenth SGTMAJ of the U.S. Marine Corp"

SgtMjrknife2.jpg

Rob

Brian Dentino

Rob, let me start by saying that I am neither a blade guy, nor a post WWII guy but that is one heck of an item to own in your collection. Talk about a one of a kind piece....its a real beauty. You are lucky to have such a friend who was obviously a gentleman, a warrior, and a Gyrene to the core! Awesome...and thanks for sharing this little beauty here with us to see. :thumbsup:

joefriday22
Great story and great man. Bill

Yes he is. I guess this thread was really meant to pay tribute to guys like the Sgt. Mjr., and all of those who served and sacrificed for our country whether during war or peace time. It seems that far too often the real meaning and people behind these objects that we collect gets lost.

Rob

Extremely nice gift, and a good tribute to a great man. The knife itself would be a JEWEL in anyones collection.

joefriday22,

What you have there is certainly a treasure. It should be where it is in the hands of one who appreciates the man, the Marine it came from.