USN/USMC Parachutist Wing Question...

I have a question regarding USN/USMC parachutist wings.

I noticed some wings have a "SER. 678" stamped on the back of the wing.

Anyone here know anything about these wings with these hallmarks?

I've been collecting US paratrooper wings for almost 25 years now and I have picked up a number of these USMC or Navy paratrooper wings. I've seen 4 variations of this wing with the markings 678 or SER. 678. I don't know which manufature placed this type of designation as other utilized their companies hallmarks. These is also another variation marked 700. One of the 678 wings might even be WW2 vintage which is the pin back that doesn't look marked but 678 is very shallow in the left lower corner. Besides being a pin back I found a smaller variation with a pin back that only opens half way marked ??? STERLING.

post-1389-1191270711.jpg

post-1389-1191270721.jpg

post-1389-1191270749.jpg

post-1389-1191270770.jpg

Here are other variations of this same style wing with hallmarks of 700, 1/20 10K GF 700, V-21-N (Vanguard Mil. Equip.), W-22-N (Wolf-Brown, Inc.), M-22-N (N.S. Meyers) and DEC 14-81 (Officers' Equip. Co.) I've also attached a silver version of this badge which is unmarked as well as a Korean copy. I have no idea if the silver versions were ever worn.

post-1389-1191271320.jpg

post-1389-1191271335.jpg

post-1389-1191271355.jpg

post-1389-1191271378.jpg

There were 3 styles of this wing worn by the Navy and USMC. I've attached variations of one style wing hallmarked GEMSCO N.Y., G-22-N (Gemsco), GEMSCO 1/20 10K GF and the other style wingsL-22 (Lordship Industries Inc.), Vanguard 154 1/20 10K GF, N.S. MEYERS INC. NEW YORK SER. NO. 270 1/20 10K GF. It would appear that someone got a hold of MEYERS' die for this wing as if you look close enough to the unmarked one you will see part of the hallmark sort of erased.

post-1389-1191272019.jpg

post-1389-1191272039.jpg

post-1389-1191272064.jpg

post-1389-1191272088.jpg

More photos. I've attached photos of a WW2 era wing made by Amico which supposedly was an unauthroized Navy rigger wing that the Para Marines addopted for their own. There is also an unmarked pin back variation of this WW2 wing with different pin back attachments.

post-1389-1191272151.jpg

post-1389-1191272246.jpg

post-1389-1191272259.jpg

post-1389-1191272278.jpg

More photos. I've also attached photos of US Army style paratrooper wings with the EGA attached. One is post war or they may all be post war and is marked 14C (Crest-Craft Co.). This EGA is as I remember it 10 K gold. I don't know if they are real as it would be easy to attach one of these minature EGAs.

post-1389-1191272375.jpg

post-1389-1191272387.jpg

post-1389-1191272402.jpg

Could use an opinion on this supposed Force Recon Vietnam War era half wing and skull. Also a buckle of the type made in the Philippines.

post-1389-1191272797.jpg

post-1389-1191272805.jpg

post-1389-1191272814.jpg

post-1389-1191272822.jpg

jeremiahcable

Very nice collection of wings! Here's a set that I noticed you didn't have an example of. The clutches are patent dated to 1943.

Jeremiah

post-8-1191288229.jpg

post-8-1191288246.jpg

post-8-1191288262.jpg

Just as a note, I have not seen clutch back wings in a WW2 veterans belongings. All have been pinback, either Amico, just marked Sterling, and the 'Wosk' unmarked type.

Devil Dog JC, is there a code underneath the HH logo?

I have a question regarding USN/USMC parachutist wings.

I noticed some wings have a "SER. 678" stamped on the back of the wing.

Anyone here know anything about these wings with these hallmarks?

What's the vintage of those with the three digit numbers? Three digit numbers became common on the backs of USMC insignia - EGA's - after they started making the pattern that has been used since the late 60's. I also have USMC uniform tie clips and marksmanship badges with the three digit numbers. I've thought they perhaps referred to some sort of government specification number.

Tonomachi,

Thanks for the pics. You have a great collection of jump wings.

Still would like to know who made the 678 wings...

Sorry but I don't have that information. At least we can eliminate Vanguard that used serial number 154 and N.S. Meyers that used the serial number 270.

What's the vintage of those with the three digit numbers? Three digit numbers became common on the backs of USMC insignia - EGA's - after they started making the pattern that has been used since the late 60's. I also have USMC uniform tie clips and marksmanship badges with the three digit numbers. I've thought they perhaps referred to some sort of government specification number.

I initially thought that the 3 digit numbers were all post war stuff until I came across the 678 pin back wing. It may still be a post war piece as I don't know for sure. It would appear that some manufatures were required or given a serial number to use on the insignia they supplied to the Navy or USMC. The Vanguard wing with the 3 digit number of 154 and N.S. Meyers wing with the serial number of 270 are a little older than the current USMC/Navy wings and the other style USMC/Navy wings made by Gemsco.

jeremiahcable
Just as a note, I have not seen clutch back wings in a WW2 veterans belongings. All have been pinback, either Amico, just marked Sterling, and the 'Wosk' unmarked type.

Devil Dog JC, is there a code underneath the HH logo?

Ah, I had a feeling you'd get drawn into this one sooner or later my little Iraqi Stormtrooper! The wings have an alpha-numeric code on them. 24-N I believe I showed this set to you last year when I snatched them up.

Jeremiah

Yes, young grasshopper, you know I would have something to say!

I remember your wings....I just needed to be thumped up the side of the noggin'.

My hunch is that they are post WW2, but I am not totally certain. Just because I haven't seen any, doesn't mean they don't exist. Allan H. is schooled on a lot of these codes and if he sees this, hopefully he'll chime in.

I have a pair of WW2 'standard' army pattern HH wings that have HH above the logo and sterling beneath it. My hunch is that is the WW2 hallmark and those with the codes are post war.

Yes, young grasshopper, you know I would have something to say!

I remember your wings....I just needed to be thumped up the side of the noggin'.

My hunch is that they are post WW2, but I am not totally certain. Just because I haven't seen any, doesn't mean they don't exist. Allan H. is schooled on a lot of these codes and if he sees this, hopefully he'll chime in.

I have a pair of WW2 'standard' army pattern HH wings that have HH above the logo and sterling beneath it. My hunch is that is the WW2 hallmark and those with the codes are post war.

I'm in complete agreement with the assertion that the three digit maker's mark is a post war marking. In fact, these three digit numbers also appear on Assman marked jump and glider badges, which are undoubtedly post-WWII.

Pinback insignia was made and issued well into the 1960's. I have a couple of Vietnam era issued jump wings that are WWII manufacture- the army still had tons of them into the 1960's. It is still fairly easy to find USMC marksmanship badges with pins and letter number codes, so a pin is not indicative or exclusive of WWII insignia.

Allan

jeremiahcable
I'm in complete agreement with the assertion that the three digit maker's mark is a post war marking. In fact, these three digit numbers also appear on Assman marked jump and glider badges, which are undoubtedly post-WWII.

Pinback insignia was made and issued well into the 1960's. I have a couple of Vietnam era issued jump wings that are WWII manufacture- the army still had tons of them into the 1960's. It is still fairly easy to find USMC marksmanship badges with pins and letter number codes, so a pin is not indicative or exclusive of WWII insignia.

Allan

And there you have it folks!!

We should probably add that these type of wings were NOT the commonly used wing during WW2. In fact if you can find pictures of guys wearing these, it is actually quite rare. Yes, they were used, but the norm was the 'army' style of wing. I often hear of these wings being 'rigger' wings, but I'm not sure if that is really the truth or not, I suspect not, but I do believe that Wosk titled these wings as 'rigger'. Attached is a quick picture of Charles Clow who was KIA on Iwo.

post-82-1191382150.jpg

Here is a reversed photograph of a Para Marine taken in 1945 wearing the Amico wing. Unfortunately I misplaced his name many many years ago.

post-1389-1191522554.jpg