My WWII Footlocker

I was driving down the street on Saturday and I came across this footlocker for $15.00 Not a GI issue one , more of a private purchase late 1940's or 50's.

I put all my personal equipment in the tray for a display next time my reenactment group has an event. All I need is some Bill Ward Torchy pinups for the lid!

Cheers!

Leonardo

post-20589-1301944830.jpg

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

Looks very nice.

I have a couple of the private purchase lockers that came right from veterans.Many officers had to buy their own lockers as well.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I was driving down the street on Saturday and I came across this footlocker for $15.00 Not a GI issue one , more of a private purchase late 1940's or 50's.

I put all my personal equipment in the tray for a display next time my reenactment group has an event. All I need is some Bill Ward Torchy pinups for the lid!

Cheers!

Leonardo

Well done.

• 2 months later...

Bought mine at auction for 50 dollars, sorry if the picture is blurry. Dated with papers 1938 marked on all sided U.S. Army Air Corps and marked on the sides 90th Bomber SQDR.

post-22760-1309742336.jpg

Love your displays guys... :thumbsup:

Here is mine---I have had all of this for many years, still a work in progress--and this stuff is too cool to part with...the footlocker is a PX buy and has the soldier's name on a shipping sticker from an Army Hospital.

The wallet belonged to my Grandfather, and my Dad's WW2 dogtags are in the tray.

IMG_0383.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2018.gif

Great stuff!

Actively buying WW2 jungle gear & equipage, items unique to the Pacific Theater, Battle of Guadalcanal items, Battle of Okinawa items, WW2 27th ID items, WW2 11th Airborne items, WW2 Marine Raider items, Pacific War "trench art", WW2 Japanese items.

Looking for wartime and post-war newsletters of the 27th ID ("The Orion Gallivanter"), 11th Airborne ("Winds Aloft", "Voice of The Angels", etc.), 96th ID ("The Deadeye Dispatch"), Marine Raiders ("The Dope Sheet", "The Raider Patch", etc.).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

post-344-1329771066.jpg

Cheers!

Leonardo

Hi uplandmod and all the other footlocker fiends, ( yes I intended it to say fiends and not mis-spelt friends ) here's a page scan from my 1941 catalog of private purchase items showing two different sizes of footlockers 31 or 36 inches in length, and prices to cry for.

lewis

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

What would be stored under the trays? I`m building a footlocker set up now. Just curious as what they may have kept in the larger space?

What time period? The footlocker layouts changed little, but they did move a few items around.

See this thread for some photos: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2643-barracks-life-early-war-vs-late-war/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

Great job on the build. I`ve been tempted to build one myself. I have a `62 vintage locker that is identical to the ww2 ones thatI have repainted the outside of to a more respectable ww2 color and then cut out my own stencil. I hate to repaint the inside and cover the orginal `62 stamps, though. I`m just about ready to show the top tray, I just lack a good ww2 soap dish and some pin ups. You wouldn`t happen to know a source for a good plastic soap dish? I keep watchin Ebay but " no soap" yet.

Great job on the build. I`ve been tempted to build one myself. I have a `62 vintage locker that is identical to the ww2 ones thatI have repainted the outside of to a more respectable ww2 color and then cut out my own stencil. I hate to repaint the inside and cover the orginal `62 stamps, though.

Don't repaint it, if you are really bothered by the 1962 contract markings you can always find another foot locker.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Don't repaint it, if you are really bothered by the 1962 contract markings you can always find another foot locker.

Yeah, I agree, but I sure have been having a hard time finding a ww2 locker.