Fake Vietnam Uniforms

gwb123

Capt.Confederacy
Can anyone show some examples of known VN era produced tapes?

CB

I second that request. Does anyone have a selection of name tapes US ARMY tapes known to have been produced in South Vietnam?

BTW gwb123, this is a great educational thread. Thanks for posting it.

From the 25th DIV

For all these tapes, I can not tell whether there are Vietnam made or other Asian countries, I hope you can tell me how to make the distinction.

Thanks

post-1523-1191348049.jpg

And from the SF shirt, the nametape was changed but the same name can be read on the other side printed by the previous tape. The shirt has its 2 chest pockets sewn flat and 2 internal pockets were added

post-1523-1191349500.jpg

Great stuff! Well, I think the varieties of the tapes shown here as well as the ones on my jackets do illustrate the point that, in many cases, it is impossible to make a definite determination regarding where and when tapes were made or sewn on. Way too many possibilities in this regard. From what I have seen, mismatched manufactured name and Army tapes on the same jacket are nearly as common as matched sets and the subtle differences in styles of embroidery and backing material are legion.

This certainly makes identifying some fake put together jackets difficult indeed! I guess it boils down to whether they look like they have been on the jacket for a long time and if the thread or fading etc. looks right.

CB

I have a few SEAL shirts where the SEAL TEAM 1 tape is handmade on ripstop and the name is handmade on cotton material and visa versa, these shirts were done around 70/71.

I've written before about Jim McDuff's Selected US Army Insignia of the Vietnam War. It is an excellent reference because he not only has the unit patches, but a lot of the little stuff as well.

I am attaching some photos from page 71 of the book. A couple of notes:

1. The US Army above the name Trotter is hand embroidered. It maybe hard to see from the copied photo, but it is formed from repeated diagonal stitches. Notice the varying widths of the letters, especially the "Y".

2. The US Army tape above "Brooks" is doen by hang guided sewing machine. The width of the letters is a little bit better controlled due to the width of the stitch from the sewing machine. Notice the "connecting stitch" that goes from letter to letter.. another sign of this method. These were made both in Vietnam and Korea, and more typical than hand embroidery in Korea.

3. Trotter: also done by hand guided sewing maching, but without a continuation stitch. Looking at the shaft of the T you can see the individual stitchesgoing back and forth.

4. Brooks: done by hand guided sewing machine with very well formed letters. Notice that what would have been black thread has faded slightly to a silvery gray. This was typical of the Asian made threads of the time. Very strong, bold lettering style.

5. Day: Hard to tell on this one. Possibly hand embroidered very neatly. Also fading to gray.

6. McDuff: Hand guided sewing machine, but not as well defined as Brooks. Again, a continuation stitch between letters. The lettering here has a lot of distinctive features.

7: Murphy: Very nicely hand embroidered.

8. Wilson: Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like it was hand embroidered but has seen wear and tear in the field. It is starting to lose some of its thread and the letters are starting to get jagged.

For those of you who do not have a copy of this book, it can be purchased through ASMIC-Pubs. Please see

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Army-Insignia-Vietn...1QQcmdZViewItem

or eBay item 230175219861 $21.95 plus shipping.

McDuff_Tapes_2_small.JPG

McDuff_Tapes_1_small.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

DEAR GIL

THE NEXT WEEK I POST YOU A VERY GREAT PATCHED BEOGAM SHIRT

THE SHIRT IS EXTREMLY RARE AND VERY EARLY BEOGAM SHIRT MADE BY CISO

BUT IS ALTERETED BY FAKE NAME TAPE , ARMY TAPE , BDQ QUALIFICATION AND RANGER TAB

I THINK IS GOOD SAMPLE FOR YOUR TOPIC

WITH PLEASURES REGARDS JEROME

DEAR GIL

THIS BEOGAM SHIRT IS EXTREMELY HARD FIND PATTERN VERY EARLY CISO MADE,

WITH ACTUALLY MADE PATCHES I BELIVE IS THAI MADE PATCHES

REGARDS JEROME

post-1486-1192704263.jpg

hochiminhtrail

Hy Beogam

what scarry on this one is that the name tapes and wings are almost of the same camo pattern as the shirt, do you think they cut a pice from original shirt or is it done with a totaly new cloth??

Alex

Hy Beogam

what scarry on this one is that the name tapes and wings are almost of the same camo pattern as the shirt, do you think they cut a pice from original shirt or is it done with a totaly new cloth??

Alex

Badges were made in Thailand from a torn pants in the CIDG spot pattern