Prior to 1942 First Aid dressing?

noworky

I believe they starting adding the sulfa at the end of 1941. If you wanted to play it safe as far as authenticity probably use a green carlisle bandage in the brass container that is not stamped as containing sulfa. I assume the red ones and the green containers stamped as containing the sulfa could have been available very late 1941. Not exactly sure of the exact date....

craig_pickrall

The first dated box of dressings I have is 1943. They are a flat OD color and they have sulfa.

I have the red cases with sulfa. You need the earlier shiny OD green case with no sulfa markings.

This is a box of dressings without sulfa. Not dated on the box or the metal case.

post-5-1301967769.jpg

post-5-1301967987.jpg

post-5-1301967996.jpg

post-5-1301968004.jpg

Hello Guys !

Late on this topic and wondering if some expert about first aid containers can help to put some order in my great confusion. My question is simple: can you trace the evolution of the bandage cases (not pouches) from the end of WWI to the end of WWII ? The red tin cases come earlier than the O.D. ones? They come together? Why we have old red tins with sulfa and late O.D. without sulfa? And, last, were the waxed tan cardboard boxes the last to be issued at the end of the WWII ? I have some red tins, some O.D., and some cardboard but they (unlikely the WWI ones) are all undated.

Thanks for your help !

Fausto

Hello Guys !

Late on this topic and wondering if some expert about first aid containers can help to put some order in my great confusion. My question is simple: can you trace the evolution of the bandage cases (not pouches) from the end of WWI to the end of WWII ? The red tin cases come earlier than the O.D. ones? They come together? Why we have old red tins with sulfa and late O.D. without sulfa? And, last, were the waxed tan cardboard boxes the last to be issued at the end of the WWII ? I have some red tins, some O.D., and some cardboard but they (unlikely the WWI ones) are all undated.

Thanks for your help !

Fausto

Hi Fausto,

Try here: http://med-dept.com/carlisle.php

You will have to read it 20 times to get the development flow.

Pep

That link doesn't mention the very first Carlisle issued, the 1922 contract. I have a couple of them but none in good conditions. In the pic you can see it was used in the M1910 pouch (two snap prints on the front) and in the M1924 pouch (one single center snap print on the back side)

post-67-1302041208.jpg

post-67-1302041221.jpg

That link doesn't mention the very first Carlisle issued, the 1922 contract. I have a couple of them but none in good conditions. In the pic you can see it was used in the M1910 pouch (two snap prints on the front) and in the M1924 pouch (one single center snap print on the back side)

Nice!

I have only seen one of those and it was an open tin/no contents. :thumbsup:

Pep

• 3 years later...