Attaching PRC to LW Ruck Frame

Justin

Can anyone show how to do this the proper way to attach to the upper of the rucksack frame? Do I need to buy a LW ruck shelf?

Thanks.

US Victory Museum

You need the Metal Packboard (not to be confused with just a shelf)

MIL-P-43756

The metal packboard was mounted on the Lightweight Rucksack frame

and featured two cargo support shelves and four nylon cargo straps.

The upper shelf was designed for carrying the PRC-10 or -25 or -77 radios.

Depending on the model radio carried the bottom would either carry the

battery (PRC-10) or a TSEC-KY-38 encryption device (PRC-77) on the

lower support.

Look at the first set of photos in this post (My PRC-10):

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=86863

Are you sure I need that for a PRC 25? Here's a picture of one on google I found. I also have 2 photos of them in country attached without the Metal Packboard

post-2305-1301788544.jpg

As I recall we carried the PRC-25's in the pack. There is a large pocket inside the pack that is designed to carry the radio. You just slid the cover so that the handset and antenna were exposed. We always moved the packs to the top of the frame, so you could get at your stuff. SKIP

craig_pickrall

Skip, are you sure it isn't the ALICE pack you are thinking of? That has the large radio pocket.

correct ,the radio pouch only in med. and large ALICE packs...LW rucksack only has main bag, lid pocket and three outer pockets..i'm pretty sure..vince g. 11B Infantry...

Hey Guys- I don't have my LW Ruck anymore, and could be wrong about the pocket.(If someone has one please refresh my mind, been 38-40 years) Also there's less of a chance of it falling off the frame, those straps tend to stretch and loosen. Yes, they are definitely in the ALICE. Any way, radios were carried in the rucksack, for a few reasons. The RTO could carry the Accessory Bag, w/ long whip antenna (15'), on the pack. Also extra batteries, his chow water, and ammo. Another consideration is the RTO tends to be a target, keeping it in the pack lessens his exposure "slightly". There is a designated pack for the PRC 25 & 77, but I don't recall the nomenclature, if I can find it, I have a photo with one on my back. SKIP

Niner Alpha

I'll attach a photo I took in Vietnam. It shows a PRC25 attached to a frame with straps. A poncho liner is rolled up and covering the radio, although you can see a long wip antenna sticking up. Under the radio are hand flares in metal tubes and under the flares is a box that carries an extra radio battery. The same straps that hold the radio to the frame hold the box and flares. You will note a bag under the battery box. I think it was an old claymore bag and the bag held c rations and other odds and ends. Note that the canteens are attached to the frame by D rings. There is a pistol belt threaded through the hip flair of the frame to buckle up and hold the load steady when carrying.

The photo was taken in the Delta of Vietnam in 1970.

post-6574-1302048028.jpg

Seems to be a lot going on there........buy the shelf/cheap/ then play with the upper cargo straps.......radio is secure........but rad ops were singled out so rads....as stated before....were hidden in packs....

buy the shelf and play with it.........thats what i had to do

kev

Niner Alpha
....but rad ops were singled out so rads....as stated before....were hidden in packs....

One shouldn't believe everything one reads Mower66. I was actually in Vietnam. I'll attach another photo. That's me on the left calling in a marking round for an LT that didn't know where he was. You can get a look at the other side of the radio in the photo as well. ......I guess rad ops is Brit for RTO......?

post-6574-1302361374.jpg

Niner Alpha

No problem Mower66. And maybe some outfits did hide their radios in packs, or seem to be hiding them because they had to hump so much stuff for long in the woods operations. The 101st in the Ashaw probably would have resembled that. It didn't happen that way in the 9th Division in the Delta.

While I'm thinking about it.......if anybody is going to do re-enacting the part of a Vietnam RTO with a PRC 25......notice the handset in the last photo. It is covered in the plastic bag that covered the radio battery as factory packing material and the bag is held to the handset cord by rubber bands. The idea of the bag was to keep rain water out of the handset. If water got into it there would be all sorts of sqaws and sqeeks and the handset could be close to, or completely, useless.