What are BDUs and DCUs Worth?

ehrentitle

I have seen field jackets going for aound $65.00 but the BDU's usually going for a lot less $20.00 for a set and with unit insignia for about $40.00. If I were you I would keep a coule of your sets ith alll the insignia on them for they will someday be worth a LOT more. I am sure some of you folks will remember seeing "jungle fatgues" a plenty in thrift shops going realy cheap. Those days are over.

Dunno the value, but I bet they are about to drop drastically. This is the last year we can wear BDUs. As you can see from my signature I'm upset about that. Damn ACUs - $65 dollar rags.

Laury Allison
Dunno the value, but I bet they are about to drop drastically. This is the last year we can wear BDUs. As you can see from my signature I'm upset about that. Damn ACUs - $65 dollar rags.

A lot of folks felt the same way when the BDUs came out. The olive green fatigues were about $15 a set. Then with the BDUs were finally available in Clothing Sales, the price for a uniform jumped to about $50 a set....quite a big difference. The fatigues looked good, but the pants pockets weren't worth a darn for getting anything to stay in them, you were constantly dropping your keys, lighter, knife, change, etc., out of them. I always hated the "Beetle Bailey" fatigue cap too....they never quite looked right on anybody.

Laury

A lot of folks felt the same way when the BDUs came out. The olive green fatigues were about $15 a set. Then with the BDUs were finally available in Clothing Sales, the price for a uniform jumped to about $50 a set....quite a big difference. The fatigues looked good, but the pants pockets weren't worth a darn for getting anything to stay in them, you were constantly dropping your keys, lighter, knife, change, etc., out of them. I always hated the "Beetle Bailey" fatigue cap too....they never quite looked right on anybody.

Laury

Amen to that. My troops were maintenance and motor pool types. Uniforms did not last long in that environment without eventually getting grease stained. Telling the troops that replacing their uniforms would now cost them twice as much was not popular. The enlisted clothing allowance was increased as I recall, but not enough to cover the full increase in cost.

Plus, as mentioned, the first generation of BDU's were too darn hot. For as long as we could we wore the OG-107's for our PT runs. Even though they were a synthetic blend uniform, they still cooled of quicker than the gosh darn BDU's.

They were issued with a "no starch" rule, but that did not last long. The first Sergeant Major that I ran into had his starched to a razor's edge. Supposedly that ruined the fancy I/R reduction dyes in the cammo, but who cares when you are looking good! LOL!