Company D (Ranger) 151st INF, Indiana Rangers

MattS

• 10 months later...

I reconstruct rosters for military units that once trained at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, WW2 & Korea. All can be found at www.IndianaMilitary.org with more than 80,000 names and data too date. But I am having trouble trying to get a roster set up for Co D, 151st Rangers. I only have approximately 20 names, and mainly those that were KIA or received the Silver Stars. If anyone knows of such an existing roster, either complete or partial, or can simply add an individual, please let me know. Co D 151st Rangers are listed in my "Camp Atterbury - Freeman Field - Ft. Harrison" group. Any questions please write.

One of the Rangers, Darrell Holder, passed away this week.

I reconstruct rosters for military units that once trained at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, WW2 & Korea. All can be found at www.IndianaMilitary.org with more than 80,000 names and data too date. But I am having trouble trying to get a roster set up for Co D, 151st Rangers. I only have approximately 20 names, and mainly those that were KIA or received the Silver Stars. If anyone knows of such an existing roster, either complete or partial, or can simply add an individual, please let me know. Co D 151st Rangers are listed in my "Camp Atterbury - Freeman Field - Ft. Harrison" group. Any questions please write.

One of the Rangers, Darrell Holder, passed away this week.

Jim,

I think I have a complete roster from their welcome celebration, I'll check when I get home tonight. I can also check with Tom Blandford who is an officer at our VFW.

BTW, I really enjoy your website!

Thanks, glad you like it.

If you can scan your list, I'd appreciate a copy.

I wonder why the Silver Star award documents/general orders do not have the individual's service numbers ? I have gone thru hundreds, of not thousands of WW2 and Korean War general orders and they all have the service numbers.

By the time D/151st got to VN, service numbers had been changed to Social Security Numbers and they have been edited on the documents I have also.

I thought I would add the cover from program to the Welcome Home ceremony that was given to the Indiana Rangers in Indianapolis in 1969.

post-203-0-64799800-1406814129.jpg

This utility cap is probably Vietnamese made (it has a green silk underside to the visor) belongs to Ranger Gregg Hutchinson. Not many units could get away with such 'personalized' headgear!

post-203-0-46279100-1406815873.jpg

I thought I would add a photo of Michael Slabaugh wearing a similar cap while in-county.

post-203-0-80350800-1406815930.jpg

Cobrahistorian

For those of you who don't know his story, Darrell should probably have gotten the Medal of Honor. He was recommended for the DSC. His team was on a patrol in the western part of III Corps when they came under attack. They were attempting to break contact when a grenade came in and landed among them. Holder was the RTO and placed his PRC-25 between himself and the grenade and then jumped on it. The radio was damaged and he was wounded, but he saved the team. He then repaired the radio and was able to call in gunships and get them extracted. His DSC recommendation was approved up through the 3-star level at MACV, but was downgraded to a Silver Star at USARPAC. Just an amazing guy and a true hero.

• 1 year later...
firefighter

WOW!!! Some amazing stuff here. I just found this page, from a different thread.I have an in country made scroll like the ones shown here, oversized. I also have a a U.S. made twill scroll.

WOW!!! Some amazing stuff here. I just found this page, from a different thread.I have an in country made scroll like the ones shown here, oversized. I also have a a U.S. made twill scroll.

Firefighter, pleased feel free to post them.

• 2 years later...