Company D (Ranger) 151st INF, Indiana Rangers

Company D (Ranger) 151st INF was the only National Guard Infantry unit sent to Vietnam and they were drawn from 3 different Indiana National Guard armories. They were activated in May of 1968 and after 6 months of training, they arrived in country in December. Their service record in a 12 month tour is unparalleled even today in Army Ranger history. When they returned home in November of 1969, the 214 men of the unit had accumulated 18 Silver Stars, 1 Soldiers Medal, 122 Bronze Stars (87 with "V" device for valor), 101 Purple Hearts, 111 Air Medals, and 184 Army Commendation Medals (30 with "V" device for valor). No other single Army Infantry company was as decorated during a one-year period of time as the Indiana Rangers.

I have been working on this display for Museum of the Soldier for several weeks. Although I'm not 100% done (minor tweaking, labeling, cleaning) I thought I would share some photos of the display. Special thanks goes to Rangers Leon Moore, Bruce Bennett, Gregg Hutchinson, and CPT Ron Himsel. Many other items are on loan from the widow of SSG 'Mad' Max Anderson, and the large display photos were kindly provided by Jay Borman.

Well done. Looks great.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Items from PFC Charles Manis including his Bronze Star and Purple Heart (replacement medals), a US web belt and black shorts from a VC, and his rather salty patrol cap pinned on the right side. When I asked him if that was so that it didn't interfere with the rear sight when shooting, he said "no, it was more of a fashion statement. I call it my beret with a brim." In the case is a nametag, his jump wings, and 2 in-country made Recondo patches.

post-32676-1302716497.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I took in another great item for the display this week. It is a web belt worn by 3rd Platoon Sergeant Charles Eads. All the gear was still in the pouches, including an opened LRP ration in a M-1 carbine ammo pouch. The can of foot powder, the face paint tube, and the P-38 were all in ration along with some really nasty looking left-overs. Behind his first aid bandage is a steel signaling mirror. It was only missing the .45 from the holster!

post-32676-1302879196.jpg

Very nice display!post-3074-1302884228.gif

SFMike

F Company, 50th Infantry (LRRP)

A-361, 3rd Mobile Strike Force (B-36)

Company A, 5th Special Forces Group (ABN)

RIP Steven Collier, 1968

• 3 weeks later...

Our museum's annual dinner was last Saturday and we had 8 Indiana Rangers in attendance. From left to right are; C. Dwain Robinson, Donald Blevins, Alan Brown, Ted Dunn (w/microphone), Leon Moore, Larry Pauley, and Gary Bussell. Not pictured is Dave Jenkins who was a captain in 1968 and trained with D/151st, but deployed to Vietnam as part of the 101st Airborne.

post-32676-1304439975.jpg

• 4 months later...

Always great to have a visit from the Indiana Rangers, D Company (Ranger), 151st Infantry, Vietnam 1968-1969.

L to R: Alan Brown, Steve Justus, Chuck Wallace, Leon Moore, H. C. Cross, Terry Lunsford, Charles Eads, and Wes Kleiber (Lt. George Kleiber's brother).

post-32676-1315753752.jpg

Great to see Leon's uniform! He's a friend of mine.

The Indiana Rangers are an amazing bunch of guys. I've gotten to know several of them over the past four years and have had a blast with them every time I see them.

Class A uniform of SGT Leon Moore with in-country made SSIs and pathfinder patches.

In memory of 1LT Julius C. Goldman, XO of F/330th, 83rd Infantry Division 1944-45.

Looking for P-47 and Tactical Reconnaissance Unit photographs and any items associated with WWII Jewish fighter pilots.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Great job!It does'nt get any better than this! :thumbsup:

Those cornfed Hoosier boys are some bad@ss Lifetakers and Heartbreakers! :packin heat:

They did a great job in Nam,and represented Indiana well!

Thanks for a great display honoring them,and thanks to the Vets for serving our great country! :bravo:

BTW,that utility cap is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! ^_^

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

• 1 month later...

The Rangers made a nice contribution to our museum on October 15th. On the left is our director, and Vietnam Vet, LTC (Ret.) Jim Waechter and on the right is Indiana Ranger Gary Bussell (wearing one of his original jungle jackets).

post-32676-1319477734.jpg

Matt

I am a former military history researcher for the US Gov't. (VA)

I have most of the casualty records (Combat Area Casualty File) and all of the helicopter records by tail numbers from all five services from the VN war.

The Combat Area Casualty File shows CONNEVY as actually assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, II Field Force Vietnam. He was from Pasadena,Texas.

The helicopter date base shows CONNEVY as assigned to the aircraft crew as an observer and KLEIBER and CUMMINGS as passengers from the 151st:

Helicopter UH-1H 68-15475

Information on U.S. Army helicopter UH-1H tail number 68-15475

The Army purchased this helicopter 0369

Total flight hours at this point: 00000369

Date: 09/04/1969

Incident number: 690904211ACD Accident case number: 690904211 Total loss or fatality Accident

Unit: 117 AHC

The station for this helicopter was Long Binh in South Vietnam

Number killed in accident = 7 . . Injured = 0 . . Passengers = 3

costing 613178

Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Army Aviation Safety Center database. Also: OPERA (Operations Report. )

Loss to Inventory

Crew Members:

P CPT REITZ MICHAEL ROBERT KIA

P 1LT KLINGEN JOHN EDWARD KIA

CE SP4 STANLEY RICHARD ALLEN KIA

G SP4 BEGNOCHE REGINALD PETER KIA

OB 1LT CONNEVEY LAYNE HALE KIA

Passengers:

1LT CUMMINGS KENNETH THOMAS, AR, PX, KIA; 1LT KLEIBER GEORGE L JR, AR, PX, KIA;

Accident Summary:

THE UH-1H WAS THE C&C AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITH 3 SLICKS AND 2 GUNSHIPS WITH THE 151ST LRP TEAMS. THE AIRCRAFT HAD JUST COMPLETED ITS SECOND MISSION FOR THE DAY AND REFUELED AT RED CATCHER PAD AFTER FLYING FOR APPROXIMATELY ONE HOURS. AFTER TAKING OFF FROM RED CATCHER PAD THE AIRCRAFT ENTERED DOWNWIND FOR LANDING AT THE 151ST LRRP PAD (LOCATED 1 MILE TO THE EAST OF RED CATCHER) AT APPROXIMATELY 200 TO 300 AGL HEADING 90 DEG. AS THE AIRCRAFT TURNED ON A RIGHT BASE ONE TAIL ROTOR BLADE SEPARATED FROM THE TAIL ROTOR HUB. THE PILOT NOTIFIED PLANTATION TOWER THAT HE HAD JUST LOST HIS TAIL ROTOR. THE AIRCRAFT CONTINUED TO TURN RIGHT GOING INTO A YAW AND THEN SPINNING AROUND 3 TO 4 REVOLUTIONS. AS THE AIRCRAFT WAS SPINNING THE ROTOR BLADES APPEARED TO SLOW DOWN AND MAST BUMPING WAS ENCOUNTERED. ABOUT THE THIRD 360 DEG TURN THE MAST SNAPPED THE MAIN ROTOR BLADES FELL BACKWARDS SEVERING THE TAIL BOOM. THE AIRCRAFT STOPPED SPINNING AND FELL STRAIGHT TO THE GROUND IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION. UPON CONTACT WITH THE GROUND THE AIRCRAFT BURST INTO FLAMES COMPLETELY DESTROYING ITSELF BY FIRE.\\

In chevcking both the Combat Area Casualty File and the Total Casualty Files (all casualties 1950-1999) I learned that CONNEVY, and Artillary Officer, was actually a memeber of HHC II Field Force Vietnam and attached to the 151st as the Fire Support officer. That explains why he was listed as an "Observer" with the crew rather than as a passenger.

A most excellent display and tribute. If you need any further information concerning the crash itself or explanation of the terms and locations, drop me a note

Bud

I believe many of today's social ills and political party bickering could be solved by the simple implementation of legalized dueling.

Thanks for that information Bud! I am former rotary wing aviation myself so that makes perfect sense to me. Losing a tail rotor blade is never a good thing. That was a new Huey with only 369 hours on it, I wonder what caused the failure.

On a happier side note, the Ranger's C&C Huey was named "Little Annie Fanny". Here is Ranger Gary Bussell with the nose battery cover from a Huey in front of a photo of that helicopter in Nam with Gary in front of it and he's wearing the same boonie cap as in the picture!

post-32676-1319499450.jpg

post-32676-1319499459.jpg

Thanks for that information Bud! I am former rotary wing aviation myself so that makes perfect sense to me. Losing a tail rotor blade is never a good thing. That was a new Huey with only 369 hours on it, I wonder what caused the failure.

On a happier side note, the Ranger's C&C Huey was named "Little Annie Fanny". Here is Ranger Gary Bussell with the nose battery cover from a Huey in front of a photo of that helicopter in Nam with Gary in front of it and he's wearing the same boonie cap as in the picture!

couldn't be

The guy in the photo on the left is a LOT skinnier!

(sorry, it was there I took the shot <GRIN>)

Tell him "Welcome Home!" for me.

the Liitle Annie Fannies" was the 1st Platoon of the 117th Aviation Company. Each platoon had a separate radio call sign and all of the 1st Platoon slicks had that nose art. Here's an excerpt from the 117th's 1968-69 unit history that describes the 151st:

68-69 Still at Plantation, Long Binh. Some of the A/C were sent to Duc Hoa [April?] to work for SF in Parrots Beak. May or June1968 flew for SF in Tay Ninh. Missions were CA. Also supported 9th Inf Div out of Dong Tam, conducting mostly multiple ship CAs throughout southern III Corp with an occasional DCS mission for the SEALs. Oct 1968 Annie Fannies [1st Plt] assumed the 240th's mission of supporting F Co 51st Inf [LRRP] mission. Then they supported D Co 151st Indiana Nat Guard LRRP's and supported them for their entire tour. Pink Panthers [2nd Plt] took over support of SF B-36. Supported 175th LRRP's. The company also picked up the Firefly mission from 334th Armed Helicopter Co. We had a single ship mission which supported the Navy at Nha Be. Did a lot of missions around Tay Ninh and Cambodian border.

As such, the 117th's primary mission differed from most of the Assault Helicopter Companies belonging to the 1st Aviation Brigadein Vietnam in that they had dedicated units to support.

Bud

I believe many of today's social ills and political party bickering could be solved by the simple implementation of legalized dueling.

The Rangers still speak very highly of the Little Annie Fannies and the Playboys who flew the gunship support for them. Thanks for the additional info! (and the jab at Gary, but I'll tell him "Welcome Home" for you!)

The Rangers still speak very highly of the Little Annie Fannies and the Playboys who flew the gunship support for them. Thanks for the additional info! (and the jab at Gary, but I'll tell him "Welcome Home" for you!)

I may have put on a pound or two myself

Bud

• 6 months later...

Got another D/151st item in today, the patrol cap of SSG Max Anderson. It is an example of a "well loved" cap that was worn for decades after the war.

post-32676-1336077765.jpg

• 1 month later...

I didn't see any reference to the following site I ran across on this post so forgive me if I overlooked it:

http://www.ranger151.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=42

Check out the pictures section for some amazing shots of Vietnam era pictures with all sorts of color and subdued theater made insignia being worn in all sorts of combinations by Indiana Rangers.

• 2 months later...

Leon Moore volunteered to work at the museum this week and arrived wearing his fully badged out uniform. Airborne, Ranger, Pathfinder, Jungle Expert, MAC-V Recondo, CIB, Ranger scroll on the left shoulder and the 2nd Field Force with Long Range Patrol and Airborne tabs on the right. I asked him to stand in front of our 1962 Studebaker M35A1 for a photo.

post-32676-1345985724.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It's been tough for the men of the Indiana Rangers lately. Today is the 44th anniversary of the crash of the Huey which killed 3 officers of D/151st. In the past 30 days, they lost Leon Moore (whose uniform and support started this thread) and Bruce Bennett. Rest In Peace, Rangers.