M-16 & M-18 Smoke grenades

nicolas75

Hello

I’m still serching for the meaning of the Orange colors (zone to attack, friendly troops etc ...)

Then when was laucnhed the m-16 and m-18 model smoke grenades

Thanks and have a nice day

Hello

I’m still serching for the meaning of the Orange colors (zone to attack, friendly troops etc ...)

Then when was laucnhed the m-16 and m-18 model smoke grenades

Thanks and have a nice day

Don't think there were any orange smokes. In M18's you have red, green, purple, yellow and then thw white heavy smokes.

Well the A/N M-18 Colored Smokes would have certain meanings usually covered in the Unit Operations Order(Field Order) under Paragraph 5 Command and Signal, or if used the same often enough by Unit SOP's.

Red is now usually for Casualties (real world) in most units during training CONUS.

Yellow, Violet, Green for signaling

White A/N-M8HC is for Screening and Obscuring not signaling.

Orange sounds like a WWII/Korea color. Never seen it in use from the 80's on

The M16 smoke grenades predate the M18 and were obsolete by the end of WWII. They looked roughly the same but had smoke emission holes in rows up and down the body. In addition to the standard M18 colors, the M16s were also made in orange, blue, and black.

Unfortunately, I have no info on the tactical use of those colors

• 2 weeks later...

I part my M-16 orange box (which i guess mean friendly troops, as the panels are)

here is my M-18 Yellow box i keep, what which kind of signaling the yellow color means

post-3574-1303043058.jpg

Johan Willaert

The meaning of each color could change for each operation and as said above this would be listed in the Command & Signal paragraph of the operational order...

Niner Alpha

SOP for use of smoke grenades probably changed over the years for different war periods. In Vietnam, in the delta, one smoke grenade color was as good as another. On Eagle Flights....one of those operations where troops were inserted by slicks multiple times for short sweeps until contact was made or the end of the day came... smoke granades were used to mark locations for pickup. The lead pilot in a lift of three or four would note the color and repeat it over the radio to confirm he was heading to the correct platoon for pickup. He would also note the way the wind was blowing and how strong to help him decided the direction he would be coming in from and maybe he would direct the troops on the ground accordingly.

Attached is a photo from the photo album at my 6/31st site. In 1970 the purple one was sometimes called "Goofy Grape".....from a short lived Kool Aid competitor at the time.

post-6574-1303052472.jpg