Silver(ish) collar brass?!

Sabrejet

I'm intrigued as to why this mint/carded 50s era EM's infantry collar brass has a silverish look about it. The NS Meyer backing card clearly describes the insignia as being "gold plated". Is this a manufacturing error? Any suggestions? Thanks.

post-8022-1301590045.jpg post-8022-1301590036.jpg post-8022-1301590058.jpg

Sabrejet :think:

It is WHITE gold. Seriously! :thumbsup:

Silver insignia was really popular in the mid to late 1950's and was authorized to be worn on the uniform until just a few years ago. I distinctly recall silver eagle buttons on a number of officers' class A's back in the 80's and 90's when I was playing army. In fact, I knew a dentist, O-6 type, who wore silver buttons and silver brass. I know you could buy white gold finished insignia at Marlow White's and other premier uniform clothing companies.

Allan

Silver insignia was really popular in the mid to late 1950's and was authorized to be worn on the uniform until just a few years ago. I distinctly recall silver eagle buttons on a number of officers' class A's back in the 80's and 90's when I was playing army. In fact, I knew a dentist, O-6 type, who wore silver buttons and silver brass. I know you could buy white gold finished insignia at Marlow White's and other premier uniform clothing companies.

Allan

No kidding?!

Sabrejet :w00t:

Allan

I was in from 1980 until 1983 and wore silver buttons and silver brass on my greens and blues.

Kurt

Interesting. I didn't know they used silver that long. I thought that when white gold was introduced (from the ambiguity of the regulations when using the term "gold") it only had a short life until it was cracked down on. Always learning!

-Ski

I have a number of these from Ira Green, Inc. in the domed style from the 50's. Some, like the one pictured here, say "The Original 18 Karat Gold Plated" while a few say "Platina Finish 18 Karat Gold Plated". Some include one "U.S." disc and one Infantry disc and some contain two "U.S." discs. Based on your card with two Infantry discs, I would guess they were sold like that in the 50's when two sets of discs were worn on the uniform, one pair of "U.S." discs on the upper lapel and a pair of branch discs on the lower lapel.

post-1761-1301668167.jpg

I have a number of these from Ira Green, Inc. in the domed style from the 50's. Some, like the one pictured here, say "The Original 18 Karat Gold Plated" while a few say "Platina Finish 18 Karat Gold Plated". Some include one "U.S." disc and one Infantry disc and some contain two "U.S." discs. Based on your card with two Infantry discs, I would guess they were sold like that in the 50's when two sets of discs were worn on the uniform, one pair of "U.S." discs on the upper lapel and a pair of branch discs on the lower lapel.

Thanks for your addition. Yours look a tad more "gold" than mine, which are quite silvery with a faint golden hue. I think you're probably right as to why they were sold in matching pairs. In a way that helps to date them because double discs were only worn for a relatively brief period.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just stumbled upon this thread while doing some research on a group of collar disks I have.

One of them appears to be one of these 18k gold plated "silver" disks. In fact it looks exactly like the previous one Bob posted last year, except mine is flat, not domed. At first I got excited thinking I had something, but then I realized even though they aren't that common you can still get a pair on Ebay for $12