B-26 PILOT GROUPING

BEAST

My neighbor was a pilot with the 552nd Bomb Squadron, 386th Bomb Group, 9th Air Force. After he passed away, his widow sold to me his coat and some of the artwork he created during the war.

First, a colourized photo of him after he received his wings.

post-203-1191033172.jpg

Close up of his wings and SSI.

His ribbons had been stuck in his pocket when I first saw the coat. They had been bent and I tried to carefully straighten them out.

post-203-1191033490.jpg

His 9th Air Force insignia is sewn to the right sleeve with no SSI on the left.

post-203-1191033501.jpg

After the war in Euroupe was over, the Army sent him to Paris to take art classes. Sort of a continuing education program. Here are a few pieces that he did.

"GROUNDED BIRDS"

post-203-1191033664.jpg

One of my favorites. His Crew Chief allowed a female hitch hiker to ride with them. During the flight she experienced some air sickness. This sketch shows the artist laughing, the crew chief upset and the woman throwing up!

post-203-1191034156.jpg

• 4 years later...
Close up of his wings and SSI.

His ribbons had been stuck in his pocket when I first saw the coat. They had been bent and I tried to carefully straighten them out.

post-203-1191033490.jpg

His 9th Air Force insignia is sewn to the right sleeve with no SSI on the left.

post-203-1191033501.jpg

the bullion insignia make this grouping super special....so.mostyank

Beast, what would have been the DUI (?) on his shoulder strap here:

Bluehawk,

I will look at the photo under a loupe and see if I can determine which DUI he wore. If nothing else, I'll find which base at which he was stationed when he received his wings.

I'm sure that displays very well. What about the oil painting ??

I have the oil painting also, and will post a photo of it. IIRC, the reason I didn't originally post it was due to the difficulty that I was having photographing it. I'll give it another shot.

VERY NICE TO HAVE A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS YOU WILL TREAT HER HUSBAND'S ARTIFACTS WITH RESPEC T. WE ARE JUST CARETAKERS FOR THE NEXT GENERATION !

SO.MOSTYANK

• 1 month later...

I picked up a B-26, 9th AF group to a bombardier/navigator lieutenant that has the same arrangement...9th AF on the "combat"/right shoulder...nothing on the right.

Interesting....

• 1 year later...

Beast, what would have been the DUI (?) on his shoulder strap here:

Bluehawk, I am still unable to identify this crest. I am thinking that it is from a training school, but can't find it in any of my references. If anyone can identify or at least point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

post-203-0-36652700-1374455114.jpg

It looks like the one that says Ut Viri Volent - a training command IIRC.

Seems to be the wrong shape for any of the Training Command DUI. It isn't the same as the one you are referring to. I have a set on a uniform and images from the web don't match either.