5in1 ration

jumpwings

Thanks guys, as with other rations, one can't get some items off the shelfs, like canned bacon (which one can get, but is VERY expensive), canned roast beef anymore (did up to two yers ago), canned ham and eggs, and canned sausage meat, as well as appropriate off-the-shelf butter, and canned fruit juice (in normal food type of can)...

So, it still coming along, but have been caught up wi orders... I've decided to do a "generic" 5in1, combining the three menus .. Well, what can one do?

Watch this space... :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
Looking good! :thumbsup:

I'm always impression by your rations.

Thank you very much, much appreciated, and for the rest of your comments guys...

I'm just a couple of items short of getting this finished, had to source the correct bag sealer (not the piddly one ye can get in Ebay for buttons), but the proper 15mm seal one sees on WWII rations, also the correct thickness of cellophane to make the bags up.. Wasn't cheap!!

Sourcing plain brown cardstock has been a nightmare, and TBH, have to now buy those card envelopes and cut them up, simply can't find a supplier!!

A couple of things which are simply imposible to find, canned: ham and eggs, sausage meat, and fruit juice ... They just don't sell them...

Canned: butter, cheese and also bacon, one can indeed get, but they are way too expensive (bacon $12 a can!!! plus shipment, and ye have to buy in bulk), the butter, the cans are way to big, and again, like the cheese product, way to expensive...

I'll keep you all posted on my progress... for overseas (outside UK) shipment, I might produce a labels only product...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ww2reproductions

First let me say love the work you are doing.

The best source for cardboard is your industrial printer they will have or be able to get whatever thickness you require. I am looking at making 5 in 1 boxes here in Australia and go through visy board as we already buy from them for our fruit packing. There is a down side you need to order 1000+ and set up costs and you supply the artwork.

Leo

• 8 months later...

The finished article...

As this is an edible, I opted for tinned beans, as opposed to dehydrated beans, which one simply cannot get.. I also excluded one packet of sugar, as there is WAY too much already for today's taste... Also, as I cannot get all the ingreadients for each menu, I decided on a generic menu, so menu 1,2, and 3 are all the same...

5in1-2.jpg

The finished article...

As this is an edible, I opted for tinned beans, as opposed to dehydrated beans, which one simply cannot get.. I also excluded one packet of sugar, as there is WAY too much already for today's taste... Also, as I cannot get all the ingreadients for each menu, I decided on a generic menu, so menu 1,2, and 3 are all the same...

5in1-2.jpg

Bit late I know but this is a real 5 in 1 ration that was sold on Ebay long, long time ago, I kept the pics for future ref.

post-2662-1328690275.jpg

post-2662-1328690285.jpg

post-2662-1328690296.jpg

post-2662-1328690338.jpg

more pics to come

Bit late I know but this is a real 5 in 1 ration that was sold on Ebay long, long time ago, I kept the pics for future ref.

post-2662-1328690275.jpg

post-2662-1328690285.jpg

post-2662-1328690296.jpg

post-2662-1328690338.jpg

more pics to come

post-2662-1328690539.jpg

post-2662-1328690553.jpg

post-2662-1328690565.jpg

post-2662-1328690584.jpg

Hey Escht ! That Ration is from my collection.

Been collecting Rations for over 30 years and it's the only Five in One I ever saw..

Kration

Hey Escht ! That Ration is from my collection.

Been collecting Rations for over 30 years and it's the only Five in One I ever saw..

Kration

You got a nice rare piece when you outbid me on that one............ it was also the only complete example I had ever seen.

Did once get offered a complete 1944 10 in 1 , drove all the way from Lichfield to Liege in Belgium , about 500 miles and a ferry crossing......... the guy never turned up at the meet and when i rang him to see what had happened he told me he had decided to keep it. Few weeks later heard it had been sold down in Normandy.........

You got a nice rare piece when you outbid me on that one............ it was also the only complete example I had ever seen.

Did once get offered a complete 1944 10 in 1 , drove all the way from Lichfield to Liege in Belgium , about 500 miles and a ferry crossing......... the guy never turned up at the meet and when i rang him to see what had happened he told me he had decided to keep it. Few weeks later heard it had been sold down in Normandy.........

I actually got a complete Ten & One out of France about 10-12 years ago.. It's possibly the same one.. In the last 10 years I managed to find complete original examples of: Five in One, Ten in One, Mountain Ration, Air Crew lunch (full-80 meals) as well as cases of K rats.. I wonder what else is out there waiting to be found ?

I saw on an internet posting that an attic full of U.S. ration stuff was found in Germany a year or so ago.. from the pics it looked to be mostly crates & cartons of baking powder and lend lease type meat.. no actual combat rations.. I think it was probably a black market stash... Tried to contact the poster & museum that some of the cartons went to but never got a reply. (a carton of baking powder would be nice to addition to the collection)

Kration

I actually got a complete Ten & One out of France about 10-12 years ago.. It's possibly the same one.. In the last 10 years I managed to find complete original examples of: Five in One, Ten in One, Mountain Ration, Air Crew lunch (full-80 meals) as well as cases of K rats.. I wonder what else is out there waiting to be found ?

I saw on an internet posting that an attic full of U.S. ration stuff was found in Germany a year or so ago.. from the pics it looked to be mostly crates & cartons of baking powder and lend lease type meat.. no actual combat rations.. I think it was probably a black market stash... Tried to contact the poster & museum that some of the cartons went to but never got a reply. (a carton of baking powder would be nice to addition to the collection)

Kration

Think the 10 in 1 ration I knew of was only about 8 yrs ago........ but can't be certain, would be very surprised if it was 10 - 12 yrs.........

Sounds like some very impressive finds , I don't collect military stuff anymore so haven't really been looking for rations for a long time now...........

• 2 weeks later...
post-2662-1328690539.jpg

post-2662-1328690553.jpg

post-2662-1328690565.jpg

post-2662-1328690584.jpg

Wasn't that a Mountain Ration on Ebay a few years ago, got outbidded on that myself, and i've got them piccies aswell :thumbsup:

Kration

Missed all the posts, it's the new system, ye ahve to individually load every new post!!

Looking again at the contents in the photos, it seems to be a menu 3 of the 5in1, but that one didn't have peas, according to the specs, though I do imagine a subcontrasctor inserting into the box whatever they had :thumbsup:

Wasn't there a Mountain Ration on Ebay a few years ago, got outbidded on that myself, and i've got them piccies aswell :thumbsup:

Ya, the Mountain ration was on Ebay too.. I was lucky enough to add that one to the collection as well as the Five in One

Kration

Add me to the list of low bidders! :disgust: But seriously, Jumpwings' rations are looking great!

Thanks.... :thumbsup:

The funny thing is, and this is in no way a criticism, but according to "C.Q.D No 125 May 1, 1943" which deals with the 5in1, where:

"E-2 SALT; - One half ounce will be packaged in a specially constructed envelope made of No -1 Kraft paper having a basis weight of at least 45lbs" and it goes on, then "The bag will shall be equipped with a perforated tape under the flap, which will expose the perforations when the flap is opened and will allow the salt to be shaken out. Alternatively two ounces shall be packaged in a round paper cannister with a sifter under the cap."

I have two of those salt cannisters mentioned (original) and they're virtually impossible, and real hard work to reproduce oneself, so I opted for the description in the specifications as a contractor would have done at the time.... This is a problem with the "I got an original, so that is how it was done", there where hundreds of sub contractors who where given the very same specs as I've got here, and for example, I have several B units of C rations, and in each one, the contents like the candy are completely different from each other....

With this ration, i've made many compromises, as this is an edible, the biscuits i chose for the C Square Biscuits don't fit in a 4x4x8 inch box, which is the original, and besides, I'd need a A3 printer....So, one compromises....

Here's another original (note the differences):

5in1.jpg