Dying OD3 Repop WW2 Web Gear to OD7:

abd1943

I've looked around on the forum and could not find any info on this, but has anyone tried dying repop WW2 OD3 canvas field gear to an OD7 material? I know that OD3 is the desired color of web gear for most WW2 G.I. reenactors, but in some cases OD7 is appropriate to post Normandy, for example. It is my understanding that the M1943 shovel covers were produced more in transitional OD3/OD7 or full OD7 color (I have 1943 examples in both). If so, then if you are in a unit and period appropriate for wearing the M1943 shovel cover, then it would be more accurate for reenactors to have more of mix of transitional and OD7 covers, rather than only full OD3 covers (the ones that are mostly produced by reproduction companies). I know ATF has a transitional cover, but that specific aggregation of differing OD3/OD7 canvas would not likely be seen in significant numbers in a unit, so the ability to have more variation would be helpful (again, assuming my statement about the more limited production of full OD3 M1943 e-tool covers). That said, has anyone experimented with dying a full piece of OD3 to OD7 or dying/coloring sections of canvas to resemble a transitional piece? A successful means of dying this gear could also be quite helpful to late WW2 and Korean War reenactors.

Jay

The problem with some repro gear is that there is too much synthetic material in them. They won't hold a dye or will only partially hold the dye. Basically, the cotton holds the dye while the synthetics don't. I tried this with some repro USMC equipment suspenders and I ended up with a pea/puke green set of suspenders. So I painted them OD. LOL After the paint smell went away they looked ok and became "loaner gear".

It's none of my business, but why not just buy a late war belt and save all the work.

That is a valid question and one I should have noted in my original post because I expected some people would make this recommendation. Two reasons why I'm avoiding going the route of using late war gear: 1) As a collector, I won't be taking original gear out in the field and risk degrading it (and yes, I'm fully aware of the many reenactors who will attest to the high quality and durability of original gear and its ability to withstand the abuse of field use); 2) At this point, I'm more curious if someone has attempted this and how well it worked out, than I am in actually experimenting with dying repop gear any time soon. With the price of reproductions, I'm not yet willing to experiment on my limited budget. From a practical standpoint, I expect to ATF and WWII Impressions (and probably some others) begin to make more OD7 gear as awareness and demand go up, so my question will likely become moot soon enough. Still, I'm curious about this topic. I do appreciate your suggestion though.

Jay

The problem with some repro gear is that there is too much synthetic material in them. They won't hold a dye or will only partially hold the dye. Basically, the cotton holds the dye while the synthetics don't. I tried this with some repro USMC equipment suspenders and I ended up with a pea/puke green set of suspenders. So I painted them OD. LOL After the paint smell went away they looked ok and became "loaner gear".

So there might be a bit of a paradox then: cheap repro that I would be more willing to experiment with are less likely to take to dye very well, while more expensive gear might do better. So success might be more likely, but failure will be more costly. Thanks for the input.

Jay

So there might be a bit of a paradox then: cheap repro that I would be more willing to experiment with are less likely to take to dye very well, while more expensive gear might do better. So success might be more likely, but failure will be more costly. Thanks for the input.

Jay

What item specifically do you wish be made in OD #7?

What item specifically do you wish be made in OD #7?

Juan, thanks for the interest in the topic. At this point, I'm largely interested generally in more options for OD7 and transitional gear (which I know you are adding more such products to your inventory). However, probably a OD7 M1943 etool carrier would probably be the most useful single item at the moment.

Jay

I like the painting idea. I do French and Indian British reenacting at a fort here in South Carolina, and we paint our leather gear to resemble real buff leather. It works pretty well, certainly from 6 feet away. A watered down latex would be my suggestion.

Capa

• 11 months later...

I would make more O.D#7 web gear, and have tried in the past to do so, I also love transitional items and used to collect these above all others back in the day. I currently offer quite a few Olive, and Two and Three way transitional items, but the problem is they don't sell that well, when compared to gear produced in a uniform colour or shade, its such a shame but the re-enactment community of today tends to think that all gear was O.D#3 during the war when in fact it was just about any colour combined you care to mention right up until 1945. The best of it is when I start collecting back in the 1990's everyone wanted O.D#9 Tan items, O.D#3 light olive [our Khaki if your American] was frowned upon and as to O.D#7 you would be seen dead buying that stuff unless the item in question was only ever made in that shade.

So the short answer is yes I’d love to make more O.D#7 and transitional items, but only if they are people that are going to buy them.

Nigel.

2ndInf.Div.

More OD7 gear would be great, because honestly it wouldn't only be great for those doing Korean War, but a mix of OD3 and OD7 (in my opinion) looks a lot better than just OD3. Now, to what scale was it used during the Normandy campaign is something I am clueless about.