Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

Sold for $898

Had it been the real thing I think it would have gone a lot higher. Personally I'd expect a real one to go for twice that on a good day.

There were seven bidders but only two stayed in after this thread started.

• 4 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Has been awhile since seeing these "repro's" show up on ebay. These appeared today, asking price $99. a set. To the uneducated eye, they would pass as the real deal...

__KGrHqF__jkE2HRjbf_KBNtdE2D0P___0_12.jpg

__KGrHqMOKi0E12_kpszzBNtdE3ddLg__0_12.jpg

__KGrHqZ__iQE2LF_ytsJBNtdEvwyew__0_12.jpg

__KGrHqUOKiEE12DiV18_BNtdEs1EEg__0_12.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Kat, to the uneducated eye... these may pass quickly, however, very simply on these that are being sold... look at the number of longitude & latitude lines on this picture (the real deal) and compare to the number of lines above...

Also, there are other subtle differences you can pick-up by this visual comparison :thumbsup:

post_594_1182630990.jpg

Kat, to the uneducated eye... these may pass quickly, however, very simply on these that are being sold... look at the number of longitude & latitude lines on this picture (the real deal) and compare to the number of lines above...

Also, there are other subtle differences you can pick-up by this visual comparison :thumbsup:

Once you point them out, it is very easy to see the differences! Thanks so much for posting the comparison pictures.

You are the best! :thumbsup:

...Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Was just offerred this piece through a collector/dealer friend who had gotten it on consignment from another collector/dealer. Upon viewing it in hand it is an obvious fake. I had never seen or heard that "Ludlow-London" produced any type of USMC insignia in any era. No other USMC emblem collector I have contacted has either, so I was excited and curious.

The "logo" is lightly stamped with a die, which does not even come close to Ludlow's known mark. They produced U.S. aviation wings & other insignia during WWII. The placement and fouling of the anchor rope appears to have been done by someone under the influence. The characteristics of the piece, i.e., the globe, L&L lines and the anchor itself, speak for themselves. Coloring is nice and the bird not bad. Continents appears to be a thin separately applied piece. Enough to fool a novice at the right price. This particular bird is going back to its nest so it may be flying elsewhere. Pass the word! Semper Fi......Bobgee

LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_1.JPG

LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_2.JPG

LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_3.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

It is remarkably similar to the junk fantasy emblems the creators over at "usnusa" of ebay fame, were selling 4-5 years ago. Perhaps his latest creation, I wonder if someone else decided to upgrade its desirability by adding a unique hallmark and unload it :think: In any case this was intentionally created to deceive!

post_376_1235652983.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have had these discs for many years (over 20) and have never authenticated them. Jim Morans book shows the plain EGA's but there are no examples of the MG or rifle co discs. Can any of you experts give me any information about these?

post-13436-1313612319.jpg

post-13436-1313612331.jpg

post-13436-1313612341.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Inter sting subject collar disc's, topic of many threads located here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=492 The first set are subject to much speculation and opinions are as varied and the collectors of these. Often referred to as reunion, theater made and of course simply phony-baloney disc's. Nearly a century removed from the period, until such paperwork shows up from a legitimate maker of WW1 collar disc's one would be best to avoid unless they are bought as a novelty item.

The second set, gives me pause. The brim (band outside the field of the disc) is exceptional wide, whereas on known examples, as can be in the reference threads, have a very thin band about the field. And working from these soft images it appears these may be the Army-Navy version, just cannot tell w/ these pic's. A final thought, on the final pic the image shows a roller(s) which I am not accustomed to seeing on these, but coming from a later period. Thx for posting these disc's!

Hi All,

I recently acquired a very nice 3rd Bn 6th Marine 2nd Division Uniform but noticed that the EGA Collar Disks Reverses Head Eagles. I have seen the subject of reverse eagle heads in the reference forum but have never seen a pair so without further delay I will post pictures to get feed back from the SMEs on the Forum. Thanks in advance for your comments on weather or not they are legit.

Regards,

John

post-5224-1313958747.jpg