Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

williamsmilitaryrelics

Hi Guy's,

I just received a few insignias from a friend overseas, amount them was this EGA, can you tell me what it is?, I couldn't find any marking on the back.

Thank for your help

look like this type insignia have been used on the one I posted....(listed on eBay)

now I get it.... smart. but slow...... :w00t:

post-6240-1292615972.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
look like this type insignia have been used on the one I posted....(listed on eBay)

now I get it.... smart. but slow...... :w00t:

You found it William - exactly the one I had referred to. Thanks for taking the time to post!

• 1 month later...
teufelhunde.ret

to start out the new model year - another fantasy emblem from our favorite junk creators over at "usnusa" - "a fool and his monies are soon parted".

:yucky:

_BNVl__wCGk___KGrHgoH_C4EjlLl0_E2BJpFuMyis____12.jpg

• 1 month later...
teufelhunde.ret

The title of the thread say's it all. Upon first seeing it, like many just marked it to the watch page and went on looking for new listings. Latter that day I went back to look closely and DID NOT like what I saw. With two days left, it sits at 12 bids (7 inuque bidders) at $810 presently...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

__KGrHqIOKi4E1cevEDJzBNjN_pUSfw___3_horz.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

In the view above on can see a casting of near perfect character, however the long/lat lines have been "tooled" after the maker cast the emblem. The second concern was the overall softness - as is to often seen with these fakes. And finally the "patina" is not of the natural aging one would expect to see....

__KGrHqYOKpEE1r_4W7zmBNjN_tpVc____3_horz.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

The hallmark is clearly unsatisfactory, void of the crisp strike you will see in following post. The maker even went to the point of slightly bending the screw-post... only someone who is trying to decieve... ;)

__KGrHqEOKi8E2CmSiS6UBNjN__wKPQ___3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Note lack of detailing across rope areas - Note where the lat/log lines have been hand worked for more detail...

phoney.jpg

I saw that the other day and had wondered about it. Have there been any suspected fakes come on the market before? I know from a forum search that fake Pasquale wings have been somewhat common.

Considering how much a real one could bring, it would be worth a counterfeiter's time to make just one of these.

The poor quality photos don't help things. The seller does have some acknowledged repros and they have nice sharp photos :)

Well it'll be interesting to hear some other comments on this piece. Anyone care to guess what a known good one would sell for... $2K?

Teufelhunde, thanks for taking the time to point out all those fine points that show this EGAs faults. That was an excellent lesson, I learn so much here from you guys, thank you.

Dennis

Teufelhunde, thanks for taking the time to point out all those fine points that show this EGAs faults. That was an excellent lesson, I learn so much here from you guys, thank you.

Dennis

Dennis, I was just fixing to post the exact same response!

Darrell, thanks so much! A picture is worth a thousand words. It is really evident when you point out the details! You are a wealth of knowledge...

....Kat

teufelhunde.ret

Dennis

There is always somthing to be learned - no matter how long one has been at it...

rope.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
It is really evident when you point out the details! You are a wealth of knowledge...

Actually - I think I've been burned enough by these phonies to have learned to be suspicious and just maybe have learned a thing or two along the way... AND a thanks to other collectors who are willing to share their knowledge!

anchor.jpg

Note lack of detailing across rope areas - Note where the lat/log lines have been hand worked for more detail...

Boy that (lack of) rope detail is a real contrast. I took an image of a real one from your thread at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=55024 and blurred that to make it look like the one on Ebay, then enlarged the one on Ebay and sharpened it. Even with several laers of blur applied to the real one, the contrast in the rope is clear as a bell.

egaropes3.jpg

egaropes.jpg

egaropes2.jpg

Darrell,

With your photos and arrows, the differences are Abundantly Clear.

The phonies look "amateurish" when compared to actual examples.

Somebody out there is NOT too happy!! :pinch:

teufelhunde.ret
Boy that (lack of) rope detail is a real contrast.... and blurred that to make it look like the one on Ebay, then enlarged the one on Ebay and sharpened it. Even with several laers of blur applied to the real one, the contrast in the rope is clear as a bell.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: - Your way ahead of me in getting these done, Thx, saves me time setting up other comparision shots!

vert.jpg

normaninvasion

As I have learned from the great collectors on this Forum, "the devil is in the details", washed out form and lack of detail, inconsistant with age, big red flag

teufelhunde.ret
As I have learned from the great collectors on this Forum, "the devil is in the details", washed out form and lack of detail, inconsistant with age, big red flag

:thumbsup: after our phoncon yesterday, I knew it would be needed to do these comparision pic's... bingo! "the devil is in the details" as you say...

horz.jpg

Teufelhund,

I must say how much I appreciate all of the effort you made to clearly point out the faults of this EGA. The comparison photos with an original are magnificent! You made a serious contribution to the collective knowledge with this one.

Hats off to you,

John

Darrell,

Very nice work on this, I must say I wasn't sure on this one until you pointed out the differences.

Darrell - As I said on the phone yesterday I wasn't sure. "Is it Real? Or is it Memorex?" :think: I said I would like to have it in hand before opining. Seeing your full Outstanding Forensic Numismatic workup I too am now convinced it's bogus!! :thumbdown: You are really a great EGA detective! :thumbsup: Thanks.......Semper Fi......Bob

Outstanding work! Might not have saved the bidders, but you definately saved a lot of people on the board. Thanks!

-Ski

Even in the face of such evidence there are some who will roll the dice: I am surprised there are still the same 12 bidders, which proves there are 12 semingly serious EGA collectors who don't read this forum :)

When you get to spending serious money you want to use the same standard used in jury trials: "beyond a reasonable doubt." The seller has chosen to market a potentially very valuable item with small, poorly lit, out-of-focus photos and what they reveal does not stand up against the real thing. I know that's reasonable doubt enough for me when something could sell for $1,000 or more.