ID ribbon

pmshindy

Fellas,

I bought a grouping off of Ebay a couple back which included this gentleman's ribbons as you see them.

The grouping came from the 27th Troop Carrier SQ., 14th AF in China. My Uncle navigated for them in 45.

Please help ID the one on the right bottom.

thank you,

pmshindy

post-1704-1190992438.jpg

post-1704-1190992455.jpg

nam_jacket_006.jpg

It does look a lot like the China War Memorial Medal "Authorized by Nationalist China to all US personnel who served in the China-India-Burma Theatre during WWII for their assistance to the Chinese in their fight against Japan during the second World War." - but is missing the sunburst and the center color is a little different:

F180.jpg

It actually looks just like the ribbon on the British Queen's South Africa medal from the Boer War:

c04.jpg

But since he was in the 14th AF in China in WWII, I think we can rule out the Boer War angle :) and assume this was a substitute for the China War Memorial ribbon

It has to be the China War Memorial Medal. When you say substitute ribbon, you mean they did not have the right ribbon at the time and used what ever was close :unsure: Hence the Boer ribbon was used?

Thanks for your reply. Our Buddy Winston Churchill participated in the Boer War maybe he has the same ribbon.

pmshindy

• 1 year later...

I doubt it's a Boer War ribbon doing substitute duty, rather a theater made China War Memorial Ribbon. The Chinamen or Indian who made it probably didn't have the offical specs and was told it was yellow with red and blue stripes. My Dad had an odd looking Air Medal ribbon with a sort of aspen leaf cluster on it made in Calcutta.

Jim

This is the third time in the last couple months I've seen one of these. I've asked around to no avail.

I cannot figure it out.

post-5589-0-39269400-1403110825.jpg

EDIT: Due to the clasp, this one appears to be British- or Australian-made. All the ones I've seen have that "foreign" weave to the ribbons.

This is the third time in the last couple months I've seen one of these. I've asked around to no avail.

I cannot figure it out.

EDIT: Due to the clasp, this one appears to be British- or Australian-made. All the ones I've seen have that "foreign" weave to the ribbons.

It's not any of the Chinese Cloud and Banner awards that I know of. The picture below depicts the ones I'm aware of in order of precedence with the 1st Class on top and descending through 9th Class at the bottom. The ribbon is similar to the 5th Class Cloud and Banner but the colors are in a different order.

post-1107-1238713582.jpg

I was just thinking of another possibility. I haven't seen one in a while but (from memory) it looks a bit like the British Burma Star ribbon.

DISREGARD!! I just googled the Burma Star and it's also slightly different so it's not that one either.

This is what I found going through my medal and ribbon references. Why it would be on a US ribbon bar unless wearer thought it represented a different medal is beyond me. There maybe another medal this ribbon belongs to, but this sure looks close.

post-895-1238773965.jpg

Although different, the ribbon bar also looks reminiscent of the National Defense Service Medal Ribbon

Criteria: Awarded to anyone who serves on active duty in the United States military during a designated time period. In the fifty years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it has been authorized for the following time periods; June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War; January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War; August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War; September 11, 2001 to a date yet-to-be-determined for service during the War on Terrorism. For service in the Gulf War and War on Terrorism, it is also authorized for members of the military reserve provided they are a “military reservist in good standing.” The National Defense Service Medal is further authorized to students at the service academies, but is not granted to discharged or retired veterans who did not serve in one of the above time periods. The decoration is also not authorized to members of the inactive reserve. The award was intended to be a “blanket campaign medal” issued to any member of the United States military who served in a designated time period of which a “national emergency” had been declared. As of 2005, it is the oldest service medal which is still issued to the active military. Attachments: Bronze Star Device.

priorservice_2049_118407747.gif

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another (link). Every one I've seen has a foreign weave; indeed usually the whole rack will be foreign. The clasp I believe is either British or Australian.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=311919

Here are some better shots of the ribbon rack. I think the rack is Chinese or Indian as the Aussie brooches were heaftier and better quality. Too bad one of the theater-made stars fell off at one time. I'd like to find a nice original CBI uniform to match up with these.

-Ski

post-3043-1239826981.jpg

post-3043-1239827047.jpg