82nd Airborne Camo Patches

USAAFPilotWingCollector

USAAFPilotWingCollector

What is the "C" patchiraqpatches006.jpg

iraqpatches002.jpg

iraqpatches001.jpg for? I got it from a antique mall not knowing what the patch was for.Thanks

I am going to take a guess and say that originally the 82nd Airborne patch was worn on the right shoulder, indicated a prior combat tour with the unit. The soldier probably left Active Duty, and then deployed with the Colorado National Guard. It would then have been worn on his left shoulder as his current unit.

Having said that, it entirely possible that the soldier started his career with the Colorado National Guard and somehow served a combat tour. In this scenario, if he then was accepted for Active Duty, the 82nd Airborne patch would have been on the left shoulder as his current unit. I would think this would have been the less likely situation.

Interestingly, the Colorado National Guard patch looks like it may have been foreign made, and possibly the US Army tape as well. What is missing is the soldier's name tape.

What is missing is the soldier's name tape.

Not to mention the other 98% of the DCU coat!

Since the 82d Abn SSI is sewn above a flag, it was worn on the right shoulder to indicate former war-time service.