Filipino USN Officers Steward Group WWI-WWII

KASTAUFFER

I recently picked up this interesting group to a Filippino who served in the US Navy from 1917 to WWII. Many Officer's Stewards from before WWII were originally from the Philippines. This man served proudly from WWI to his retirement as a Chief Steward during WWII. He became a US Citizen in 1944.

At the end of October 1941 he was serving at Pearl Harbor attached to Flag Allowance, Commander Battleships, Battle Force, Flagship.

He may have been there on 12/7/41, but I cant confirm it yet. He passed away in 1980 .

The most intersting piece in this group is his USS Houston Shellback certificate signed by President Franklin Roosevelt. Roosevelt was on board the USS Houston in 1938 for a Presidential Cruise and signed it.

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

MVC_005L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

The USS Quinnebaug was part of the North Sea Mine Barrage in WWI .

Quinnebaug ( SP–1687), formerly Jefferson, was built in 1899 by Delaware River Iron and Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, Chester, Pa., for the Old Dominion Steamship Co; chartered by the Navy 3 December 1917; converted to a mine planter by Robbin’s Repair Basin and Drydock Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.; and commissioned at Brooklyn 28 March 1918, Comdr. David Pratt Mannix in command.

Quinnebaug reported to the Atlantic Mine Force and was ordered 13 May 1918 to Invergordon, Scotland for mining operations in the North Sea with Mine Squadron 1. From 14 July to 26 October, she successfully completed ten mining missions screened by British destroyers of the 14th Flotilla (Grand Fleet). Quinnebaug was not diverted from her mission by two encounters with German submarines 20–21 September, and succeeded in planting approximately 6,040 mines in the Northern Barrage. Upon completion of this duty she returned home, decommissioned at Philadelphia 6 February 1919, and was returned to her owner 19 March 1919.

Belleauwood

The items you come up with are always outstanding! - You certainly have some of the nicest things posted on this forum -

Regards, Dennis

The items you come up with are always outstanding! - You certainly have some of the nicest things posted on this forum -

Regards, Dennis

Thanks Dennis! I cant get enough of your WWI aviation postings myself.

Kurt

Its a small world on this forum! I was contacted by another forum member who owns some more of this mans paperwork and his CSC book!

Kurt

Its a small world on this forum! I was contacted by another forum member who owns some more of this mans paperwork and his CSC book!

Kurt

Now if we could just find his uniforms, I might need to get involved... :lol:

Super group Kurt!

Many thanks to MDR75 for the following information from Laag's CSC book

Dionisio LAGG-

Philippine Citizen- US citizenship @23 Oct 1933 ( Ancestry.com shows 1944)

Officer Steward

CSC # 75420

CSC Book

Service # 180-06-36

Enlisted 16 Nov 1917, Olongapo, P.I

Discharged 15 Aug 1939

Recalled 29 Aug 1940

Retired 21 Nov 1945.

B 27 Oct 99 – D 14 Feb 88

Good Conduct Medal 17 July 1923

Bar to Good Conduct Medal USS Relief 10 Oct 1927

Assignments:

USS Quinnebaug Jun 1918- Mar 1919

USS President Grant Mar 1919 – Oct 1919

USS Ohio Dec 1919- Aug 1920

USS Solace Dec 1920 – July 1921

USS Wright Dec 1921 – Aug 1922

USS Kittery Sep 1922 – Jun 1923

USS Relief Mar 1923 – Jun 1929

USS New Mexico Feb 1930 – Oct 1933

USS Detroit Dec 1934 – Mar 1935

USS Indianapolis Jun 1935 – May 1936

USS Houston May 1936- Jun 1936 Crossed the Line

USS Pennsylvania Jun 1936 – Jan 1938

USS Houston Feb 1938 – Jun 1939

USS West Virginia Sep 1941- Dec 1941 Pearl Harbor

USS Maryland Dec 1941- March 1943

Shore Duty April 1944- Mar 1947

It appears he was in deed a Pearl Harbor survivor!

Kurt

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very nice and great history !!

Any chance on reuniting the CSC book with your group !?!

Vic

Kurt

And I sold that CSC book and campaigns to the other forum member. Definitely small world!!

I worked out a deal for the CSC book, so the group has now been re-united!

Thanks go out to Mike,

Kurt

That's great news Kurt!

It can be difficult to reunite groups, as both parties have an interest. Happy to know each of you were willing to work out the details. :thumbsup:

I worked out a deal for the CSC book, so the group has now been re-united!

Thanks go out to Mike,

Kurt

Well done Kurt! This is a really nice group and deserves to be kept together.

• 8 months later...
Raidercollector

Hi Kurt

Yes its a small world ,I was the first guy to own that CSC book and other paper work that I can remember,I sold it to another forum member, What a great reunite to have it together.

Nick

• 7 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but on the off chance that anyone's still paying attention...My grandfather's mother was Dionisio's sister, but I called him Great Grandpa. My mom lived with Great Grandpa and Great Grandma when she first moved from the Philippines to the US in 1960 to attend college. This is where my mom learned a lot of what is now confirmed by the pictures on this thread. She's 80 now and she was happy to have concrete proof that her great uncle was as awesome as he described himself to be. Haha. My mom told me that Great Grandpa was on the USS Maryland on Dec 7, 1941. She told me tonight that he was off the night before, so he was just getting back from town when the attack happened. He caught shrapnel in his left leg and was airlifted to WA. My mom said he walked with a limp for the rest of the time that he had legs. He died when I was about 5 or 6, and at that time he was wheelchair-bound and had prosthetic legs. He was one of the many men in my family who were born in the Philippines, served in the US military, then gained US citizenship later. It's pretty awesome to see a piece of family history here.

I realize this is an old thread, but on the off chance that anyone's still paying attention...My grandfather's mother was Dionisio's sister, but I called him Great Grandpa. My mom lived with Great Grandpa and Great Grandma when she first moved from the Philippines to the US in 1960 to attend college. This is where my mom learned a lot of what is now confirmed by the pictures on this thread. She's 80 now and she was happy to have concrete proof that her great uncle was as awesome as he described himself to be. Haha. My mom told me that Great Grandpa was on the USS Maryland on Dec 7, 1941. She told me tonight that he was off the night before, so he was just getting back from town when the attack happened. He caught shrapnel in his left leg and was airlifted to WA. My mom said he walked with a limp for the rest of the time that he had legs. He died when I was about 5 or 6, and at that time he was wheelchair-bound and had prosthetic legs. He was one of the many men in my family who were born in the Philippines, served in the US military, then gained US citizenship later. It's pretty awesome to see a piece of family history here.

. Sir or Mam. Be PROUD, of your ancestor! Many, think of Stewards as Officers Servants. Yes, they were that. They cleaned officers rooms. Did their laundry. Cook, served meals and cleaned up after officers. Yes, those of us who serve in the Navy, Have Jobs, then, we have, Jobs. During General Quarters, Battle Stations, Stewards, were assigned to two different stations. One, was GunnCrrws. Stewards, manned guns. They were the crews of the ships guns. They were gunners, loaders, trainers! They had sections of the ship, to protect! Others, were assigned as Stretcher Bearers. They crawled through wreckage, burning or flooding compartments, to pull wounded Shipmates out, administers first aid, and get them to medical attention. They were Heros! My uncle was a Ships Cook at Pearl Harbor. Fought his way across the Pacific. In my day, Cooks and Stewards were combined, but did the same job.

. Sir or Mam. Be PROUD, of your ancestor! Many, think of Stewards as Officers Servants. Yes, they were that. They cleaned officers rooms. Did their laundry. Cook, served meals and cleaned up after officers. Yes, those of us who serve in the Navy, Have Jobs, then, we have, Jobs. During General Quarters, Battle Stations, Stewards, were assigned to two different stations. One, was GunnCrrws. Stewards, manned guns. They were the crews of the ships guns. They were gunners, loaders, trainers! They had sections of the ship, to protect! Others, were assigned as Stretcher Bearers. They crawled through wreckage, burning or flooding compartments, to pull wounded Shipmates out, administers first aid, and get them to medical attention. They were Heros! My uncle was a Ships Cook at Pearl Harbor. Fought his way across the Pacific. In my day, Cooks and Stewards were combined, but did the same job.

I'm very proud of my Great Grandpa. As I stated earlier, he's one of many of the men who served in the US military before my family even immigrated to the US. He was one of my inspirations for joining the military. However, I served in the Air Force because I'm not too fond of the water. I didn't know stewards had more duties that cooking. Thanks for the info!

Tito