GAR medals

bfortin

I have noticed that GAR medals have different color flags and have seen the stars on the right side and on the left sde. There is yellow, red, and blue. Thanks to the group I see each medal is numbered preceded by a letter representing the GAR Commander at the time. What has me confused is that the letter could represent another commander with the same last initial. How do the numbers correspond to the Commanders' initial?

The ribbon-color system the GAR used was later used by the United Spanish War Veterans -- blue-edged ribbons for post level offices; red for department (i.e., state) level and buff for national level offices. The GAR's publications show the stars on the flag to the viewer's left, although you'll see them on right on badges with no evidence of re-ribboning.

The rank straps reflected the office held in the GAR, not rank held in the Army. A rank strap as a top bar indicates a current officer; a rank strap centered on the ribon indicates a past officer (you wore the highest rank strap held)

Unfortunately, the numbers seem to have started over with each new commander-in-chief, so the numbers themselves are essentially meaningless. I've never seen any reference to the GAR keeping a record of who got which badge. Often you have look at which type of badge you have and determine which commander-in-chief might have been in office at the time. For example, I have just cataloged a CINC's badge numbered "R1". There were five CINCs with "R" surnames, but the badge was a Type 4 badge, which was in use from 1880 until a design change approved in 1886. The only CINC who fit that pattern was John R. Rea, who came to office in 1888. He got a badge in the older Type 4 style, but numbered for his term in office. In other cases, there simply is no way to determine which CINC's intitial the badge carries.

The ribbon-color system the GAR used was later used by the United Spanish War Veterans -- blue-edged ribbons for post level offices; red for department (i.e., state) level and buff for national level offices. The GAR's publications show the stars on the flag to the viewer's left, although you'll see them on right on badges with no evidence of re-ribboning.

The rank straps reflected the office held in the GAR, not rank held in the Army. A rank strap as a top bar indicates a current officer; a rank strap centered on the ribon indicates a past officer (you wore the highest rank strap held)

Unfortunately, the numbers seem to have started over with each new commander-in-chief, so the numbers themselves are essentially meaningless. I've never seen any reference to the GAR keeping a record of who got which badge. Often you have look at which type of badge you have and determine which commander-in-chief might have been in office at the time. For example, I have just cataloged a CINC's badge numbered "R1". There were five CINCs with "R" surnames, but the badge was a Type 4 badge, which was in use from 1880 until a design change approved in 1886. The only CINC who fit that pattern was John R. Rea, who came to office in 1888. He got a badge in the older Type 4 style, but numbered for his term in office. In other cases, there simply is no way to determine which CINC's intitial the badge carries.

You mention Type 4, which tells me there was a type 1, 2, and 3? What are the other types and how are they identified? What year was the first membership GAR medal?

Thank you also for the answer to my last question.