WWII ID'ed Marine Dress Blues

MBMorley

Hi, thought everyone might get a kick out of this uniform that I picked up last night. Anyone that has seen the HBO mini series "The Pacific" will recognize the name R.V. Burgin (author of "Islands of the Damned") and one of the main character. Romus Valton Burgin was a member of K/3/5 of the first Marine Division and saw action at Cape Gloucester, New Britain, Peleliu and Okinawa (WIA and received the Bronze Star with V devise for his actions on Okinawa). Sergeant Burgin is references quite often in Eugene Sledge's book "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" because Burgin was Sledgehammer's squad Sergeant. These are the same (as pictured) untampered with Dress Blues that Sergeant R.V. Burgin wore in February 1946 for the Award Ceremony held at the Downtown Dallas YMCA in Dallas, Texas when he received the Bronze Star Medal. If you notice everything is still the same on this uniform as the last day he wore it during the award ceremony back in February 1946. Not sure why, but he is missing the PUC, Marine Corp Good Conduct and two more battle stars on his Asiatic Pacific Campaign medal (all of which he rated) but if you look closely in the picture that is all he ever wore.

Check out the full embroidered 1st Marine Division patch!! It's a "Blooded" patch . . . I've never seen this variation. To me it looks like the patch was sewn onto the tunic with the red zigzag stitching.

I wish I could say this was part of my collection but Mr. Burgin is pretty proud of this and rightfully so. He has let me borrow this uniform for a Pacific themed exhibit I and a buddy are setting up next month at a local museum.

Hope you guys enjoy!!

post-7151-1301077864.jpg

Thats an Outstanding USMC Dress Blue Jacket Belonging to a True War Hero

thats also a Great looking Blooded 1st Div Patch

Very Nice and thanks for sharing it very impressive :thumbsup: .

Amazing.

If its the same YMCA off Akard in Dallas, I pass by it every day on the way home. Where will your display be set up?

Troy

Kurt Barickman

:w00t: Okay, I'm jealouse :rolleyes: Nice tunic to a great gyrene! :thumbsup: ! :thumbsup: Love the entire set up. THanks for posting Brandon!

Kurt Barickman

carbinephalen

Even though I don't have a single USMC item in my collection, my jaw is still open. What a BEAUTIFUL uniform you have there. A+ in my book! :thumbsup:

Amazing.

If its the same YMCA off Akard in Dallas, I pass by it every day on the way home. Where will your display be set up?

Troy

Hi Troy, the exhibit will be at the small Ellis County Museum located in the old Waxahachie town square across the street from the court house. The date has not been set for the exhibit opening but it will be towards the end of May. R.V. Burgin will be in attendance selling pictures and prints as well as his book. below I have attached pictures of some items he will have for sale. Hope to see some of you guys out there.

Here is a picture taken during the invasion of Peleliu, this rare photos shows Eugene Sledge, R.V. Burgin, James Burke and other Marines of K-Company as they ride an LVT amtrack towards the beaches of Peleliu. $25.00

Or if interested in buying one and having it personalized to you or a loved one and mailed: $30.00

Contact me at [email protected]

post-7151-1301267333.jpg

Here is a painting Print of R.V. Burgin on Peleliu . . . Signed and personalized to you for $80.00. $90.00 shipped. NOTE: This print is unframed!!

100% of all proceeds go to Mr. Burgin!!!!

post-7151-1301268144.jpg

Here is a painting Print of R.V. Burgin and others on Peleliu entitled "Off The Beach". . . Signed and personalized to you for $150.00. $160.00 shipped. NOTE: This print is unframed and only signed by R.V.!!

100% of all proceeds go to Mr. Burgin!!!!

post-7151-1301268538.jpg

Besides the great jacket, I really like that B&W photo with that sgt wearing a US Marine Corps Recruiting shoulder patch that I've never seen before.

Kurt

Corpsmancollector

Brandon,

This is just stunning. What a fantastic uniform to a courageous and brave Marine.

I'll drop you a PM about a photo.

Hope you're well

Will

Hi Troy, the exhibit will be at the small Ellis County Museum located in the old Waxahachie town square across the street from the court house. The date has not been set for the exhibit opening but it will be towards the end of May. R.V. Burgin will be in attendance selling pictures and prints as well as his book. below I have attached pictures of some items he will have for sale. Hope to see some of you guys out there.

Thanks Brandon. I know exactly where that is. Not to far from my home. I attend the Veterans Day ceremony and reenactment there every year. Keep us informed when the exact date is set. I would love to swing by.

Troy

• 4 months later...

Remember to keep Mr. Burgin and his family in your prayers . . . yesterday Thursday 8/25 at about 17:30 hours Mr. Burgin lost his beautiful Australian bride of 64 years to a heart attack! Still in shock as it was just a week ago I saw her and she seemed in perfect health and in good spirit. She will be missed but I know she is in a better place!!