mayralphie

DCU 1st Cavalry Uniform Question

Are these 1st Cavalry Div. uniforms with the reverse SSI patch on the right sleeve harder to find then the original ?

v4rnk4.jpg

From what I can tell the reverse 1st Cavalry patch on the right sleeve was first used in 2004 on the Dcu. I can not find any pictures of a reversed 1st Cavalry patch on an Acu uniform which were first issued in 2005. Does anyone know exactly when this patch was first used and when they stopped using it. The reverse patches are no longer authorized as far as I can tell.

The reversed SSI were never Dept. of the Army authorized. They were sanctioned at the local division level, but quickly disappeared after guidance from on high was received.

The division ordered these reversed patches during their first OIF rotation in 2004, but then discovered after the fact that they were unauthorized. Many were worn anyway, at least in theater, but I don't think you'll see them after 2004. A lot of the 1st Cav DCU's I've seen have the reversed patch, probably because they were available and the command within the division tolerated them.

I have a 10th Mountain Division DCU with a reversed 2nd Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch. It appears to be both theater made and smaller than a normal 2nd patch.

post-1761-1301065835.jpg

I have a 10th Mountain Division DCU with a reversed 2nd Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch. It appears to be both theater made and smaller than a normal 2nd patch.

The 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2d Infantry Division (which was the first Stryker unit in the Army) also wore a reversed "combat" SSI after their November 2003 deployment to Iraq. These are also not approved and were no longer worn when the brigade returned to Ft. Lewis. Since the soldier who wore the DCU coat you have was transfered to the 10th Mountain, nobody in that division probably paid any attention to the fact that the reversed 2d Division SSI was unauthorized.

I served in the 1st Cav during OIF 2 (2004-2005) and if I remember correctly we were authorized to wear the reversed combat patch in theater, and only on the dcu. I wore it on two of my four dcus and I would say about half of the soldiers I saw wore the reverse patch and the other half wore the regular patch.

From what you guys are saying I guess these are a little harder to find then your regular 1st Cavalry Dcu ?

Here is a photo of 1st Cavalry wearing reverse patch. Anyone have a photo of 2nd Infantry soldier wearing reverse patch?

66m9aw.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of a double patched 2nd Infantry Division DCU with a reversed Indian head combat patch. Both look like they are standard U.S. made. I picked up this jacket and the previous one I put up at a surplus store on Victory Drive right outside Ft. Benning last year.

post-1761-1301098353.jpg

post-1761-1301098372.jpg

Good details in this thread. As a DCU collector it helps to put a finger on dates of wear. I've seen these from time to time at flea markets and they can still be had so I'm not going to say they are rare. I've gotten a few 1st Cav DCU SSI and moved them. I picked up six DCU tops today, all patched some with in-country arabic direct embroidered or on tapes, most of them are all combat patched. I paid $40 for it all.

:thumbsup:

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

ASMIC Member 4598

Good details in this thread. As a DCU collector it helps to put a finger on dates of wear. I've seen these from time to time at flea markets and they can still be had so I'm not going to say they are rare. I've gotten a few 1st Cav DCU SSI and moved them.

I am going to agree with Snake on this one. They are still available, but they are being bought up by collectors when they come up for sale.

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Here is a photo of 1st Cavalry wearing reverse patch. Anyone have a photo of 2nd Infantry soldier wearing reverse patch?

66m9aw.jpg

Is the guy on the right wearing an ACU? If so, when did they first show up in the field? Maybe this picture was taken during a transition period.

Is the guy on the right wearing an ACU? If so, when did they first show up in the field? Maybe this picture was taken during a transition period.

The guy on the right is a Marine wearing Desert MARPAT.

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

The guy on the right is a Marine wearing Desert MARPAT.

Thanks. All of these different camo styles confuse me. Makes you wonder if it gives the enemy snipers a shooting preference. "Look, there's a soldier!" "Wait, over there's a Marine!" "There's an airman over there!"

Thanks. All of these different camo styles confuse me. Makes you wonder if it gives the enemy snipers a shooting preference. "Look, there's a soldier!" "Wait, over there's a Marine!" "There's an airman over there!"

I completely understand what you are saying about the camouflage.

donation2017.gif

And lets not even mention the BILLIONS of dollars spent for each service to have its own distinctive combat/field uniform. Don't get me wrong, I know it is important for each particular service to have its distinction, and pride, etc.. but that is what the service dress is for, when back home among the population and needing to look sharp and proud. Before the massive acceptance of Joint Ops, we all wore the same "fatigues" with minor distinctions in how they were worn. Fair enough. But now that we are fully fledged conducting Joint/mixed service ops as the rule, we each now have a separate uniform. Common sense and logic have left the building. :pinch:

BUT..... it is good for the collecting community, with all the cool differences and looks I suppose :lol: :thumbsup:

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I can tell you right now that picture is an 04-05 time frame image.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

ASMIC Member 4598

Thought I would add a few more images documenting reversed patches being worn 04-05. You see a lot of interesting stuff going on with uniforms during this time frame.

Lt. Col Dan Hendrickson (left), commander of the 2nd Battalion, 162nd Infantry of the 39th Brigade Combat Team (U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Rebekah-mae Bruns, 39th Brigade Combat Team Public Affairs)

post-2582-1301297500.jpg

ASMIC Member 4598

Capt. John Pemberton, the battle surgeon for 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, talks to an elderly woman during a Medical Civil Aid Project Sept. 23. Pemberton explained the woman was suffering from milky eyes, or cataracts. (U.S. Army photo by Cpl. Bill Putnam, 122nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)

post-2582-1301297556.jpg

ASMIC Member 4598

How about a reversed in-country made patch on a CCU? 2nd Stryker Bde Avgani Iraq Aug 04

post-2582-1301297666.jpg

ASMIC Member 4598

Last one, reversed in-country made on CCU during Operation Phantom Linebacker near the border.

post-2582-1301297796.jpg

ASMIC Member 4598

Okay seriously this is the last one and perhaps one of the better ones.

Maj. Gen. Peter Chiarelli (left), 1st Cavalry Division commanding general, prepares for an interview with Amar Al-Joburi, of Iraqi satellite station Al Sharqiya, while interpreter Nick Cosma looks on at Camp Al-Tahreer Sept. 21. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Andy Miller, 122nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment).

Doesnt get much better than the commanding general wearing one. Note the contractor DCU.

post-2582-1301298605.jpg

ASMIC Member 4598

I actually know Nick, probably a lot of G2 Soldiers who rotated through MND-B have met him. this is kinda of a rare pic of him he generally did not wear a uniform. A great asset and a hell of a man.

PATCHRAT
ASMIC 1729

PATCH COLLECTOR -- LETS TRADE

E-BAY STORE PATCHRAT68

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif