Ref Thread: USMC Brevet Medal

Brig

stratasfan
Message added by stratasfan,

The Marine Corps Brevet Medal, also known as the Brevet Medal, was a military decoration of the United States Marine Corps; it was created in 1921 as a result of Marine Corps Order Number 26. The decoration was a one-time issuance and retroactively recognized living Marine Corps officers who had received a brevet rank.

Brevet promotions were used by the United States military in some capacity from 1775 until they were discontinued in 1900. The Army was the only branch authorized to grant brevets until 1814, when the Marine Corps was granted the same privilege. Over 86 years, the Marine Corps awarded 121 brevet promotions to 100 Marine Corps officers.

In 1921, Commandant John A. Lejeune requested that a Marine Corps Brevet Medal be authorized. After it was approved and created, the decoration was given to the last 20 living Marine Corps officers who received brevet promotions.

A brevet promotion, or brevet, is the advancement in rank without the advancement in either pay grade or position. Typically, a brevetted officer would be given the insignia of the brevetted rank but not the pay or formal authority. Brevet promotions were originally authorized for the United States Army in 1775 by the Second Continental Congress. In 1778, a resolution was passed stating brevets would only be authorized "..to officers in the line or in case of very eminent services...".

The Marine Corps would not receive the authorization from Congress for brevet promotions until 1814, stating "... That the President is hereby authorized to confer brevet rank on such officers of the Marine Corps as shall distinguish themselves by gallant actions and meritorious conduct or shall have served ten years in any one grade...".

In 1870 Congress passed a law stating that no officer could wear, nor be addressed by, their brevet rank making brevet promotions an honorary decoration only. Because of this new law the last nine brevet promotions awarded by the Marine Corps occurred during the Boxer Rebellion.

In 1940 the Marine Corps declared the Brevet Medal obsolete; the medal was never issued again. The concept of brevet commissions was phased out of the United States military, and was replaced by temporary and field promotions, which were awarded more frequently than brevet ranks. Award of the medal was approved for twenty-three men, three of whom died before they could receive this award. Of the twenty recipients, three were holders of both the Marine Corps Brevet Medal and the Medal of Honor.

MEDAL

The Marine Corps Brevet Medal was considered to be the equivalent of the Navy Cross, although in precedence it ranks just behind the Medal of Honor. Recipients of the medal had received field commissions as Marine Corps officers, under combat conditions, and had performed feats of distinction and gallant service. Initially, the Brevet Medal ranked behind the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

The medal was designed by Sergeant Joseph Alfred Burnett and contained a ribbon, in USMC scarlet, closely resembling the blue-and-white starred pattern of the Medal of Honor. No attached devices for the Brevet Medal were authorized.

The medal consists of a bronze cross pattée, with the center of each arm extended in a semi-circular shape and in the center of the front is the word "BREVET", encircled by the words "UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS". A small five-pointed star, point-up, is at the bottom center of the circle formed by the inscription and a small Marine Corps insignia (eagle, globe and anchor) attaches the medal to its suspension ring. The back of the medal is plain except for its center, which contains the inscription "FOR DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT" in a circle, and the words "IN PRESENCE OF ENEMY" in the center. The original medals were neither named nor numbered.

I'm aware that the Brevet Medal was only awarded to 20 Marines and was rendered obsolete in 1940...

this piece here I recently came upon, thanks to a fellow forum member. It looks like it's a non-regulation piece, maybe for private purchase? any ideas guys?

miniature ribbon, don't know if it glows or not, don't currently have a working blacklight. looks like a dot of glue holds the ribbon closed. the medal itself is 3 piece...the loop, the EGA, and the medal, but they are not hinged, they are fized together. front shows 'United States Marine Corps Brevet' and rear shows 'For Distinguished Conduct in Presence of Enemy' and also has a '4' on the bottom, I'm assuming manufactorer's code. any ideas about the 4?

question is, what exactly is this? a piece for veterans to use unofficially? a reproduction for the collector world? a piece provided privately for recipients to purchase? what era do you think this thing was made? I'm sure it's not an official piece, since only 20 Brevets were awarded. thanks

Brevet_Rear.jpg

Brevet_Front.jpg

4STARCHRIS

This is a very interesting medal. I have several pics of these minis in my collection. First thing I notice over the other pics is this has a 4 on it. Interesting think.gif However, the ones in my collection also have sewn stars on the ribbon not screen.The others were in cases not like this one. The other thing I noticed is the quality is not as clean as the ones in my pic. Thanks for sharing.

4starchris

the case is definately just a shipping case, not inclusive with the medal. and I did notice the quality as being poor, as well, which is what makes me wonder what this is

BTW, I don't know if this helps any, but the stars do NOT glow under blacklight...so maybe an older unauthorized piece?

• 1 month later...

I have run across these before, manufactured by insignia companies but not authorized. I have also seen MOH miniatures. I think I recall seeing a miniature of the Brevet in an old Studley catalogue. The sewn/embroidered stars would, of course, be earlier strikes.

GySgt 0369/0131/9917

I thought only a handful of the Brevet's were awarded...or maybe that was when the award was the field commission?

Garth Thompson
I saw a Brevet go on Ebay in the $70 range about a month ago.

Are you refering to a Brevet ribbon or a Brevet medal for $70? There are no original Brevet medals in collector hands as all of the orginal awarded medals are accounted for in museums or government collections. There are several differant levels of copies from early government display strikings to very crude castings. If a collector wants an example, which is the best any of us will have, they have to decide how much to invest in a copy. Here is the one I have in my collection, a fairly middle grade strike with nice detail.

Garth

post-83-1182270816.jpg

post-83-1182270829.jpg

Garth Thompson
I thought only a handful of the Brevet's were awarded...or maybe that was when the award was the field commission?

Brig,

You are correct about the number awarded. It was awarded to 20 Marine officers to recognize their having received a brevet commision to a higher grade given for heroism. The medal was authorized by directive dated 7 JUne 1921. It could not be awarded posthumously. It became obslete almost at it's creation in 1921 by the introduction of the Navy Cross and the broadning of the MoH award criteria to include officers of the Navy and Marine Corps. The last official striking was done in 1973. For further information see THE CALL OF DUTY pgs 90 - 92.

Garth

• 3 months later...

this just sold for over 1700 on eBay. Made in the 40s, one of the first wave of replacement medals. for your viewing pleasure. no, I didn't win it. wish I had that kind of cash

brevet181.jpg

brevet182.jpg

brevet183.jpg

brevet184.jpg

I have this 1970s final production run, you can tell it's from the 70s because of the number on the back. miniature version:

post_22_1178291920.jpg

post_22_1178291897.jpg

• 10 years later...

This came out of a local flea market via a estate sale where he had other militaria, looked like a nice early replacement so i bought it, very nice strike.

post-9905-0-62533500-1511108979.jpg

Not issue, as I'm sure you know all known original examples are accounted for with the families or museums. Every now and then a replacement, usually slot broach, appears...but I believe this to be one of the many high-quality replicas made for the collector market and museums, as originals are one of the rarest US medals ever made

With that detail I say it has a chance of being a federal strike. They must have made more than the 23 issued. I'd venture to say this is one of them because of the detail and high quality.

All official strikes of the Brevet Medal are detailed in the John Lelle's book. Each medal was accounted for in the book and details of what happened to them. This medal is not one of them. Sorry but this is just a very good replica. There has not been an official striking of the medal since 1973 and that was for a museum piece.

Mark