M65 Field Jacket

• 3 weeks later...

This is a jacket I picked up off ebay a few years ago for $25.00. The jacket is Id'ed to a Capt Zurl. Capt Zurl apparently saw combat with the Special Forces before joining the New York Guard. He was also Korean jump qualified. The korean & us jump wings are foreign made and neatly zig-zag stitched. The special Forces patch is 1 piece and also foreign made. The new york guard patch is an early cut edge patch. I have been unlucky tracing Capt Zurl. If anyone has some info on him it would be greatly appreciated.

post-100-1169762072.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

This was another ebay find. It was a buy it now purchase for $49.99. The 1st issue jungle pants could not be seen in the photo, but the seller stated that it included a pair of 1963 dated fatigue pants, so I took a gamble. The special forces patch is an early cut edge. I have not been able to find any info on Lt Erskine.

post-100-1169763250.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

I think I found your man. A 1st Lt John F Erskine from the 1st SFGA spent a TDY in VN to the MED TT ( Medical Instruction Team to C Det) from 02/01/66 to 07/31/66. In another file, I've discovered that two John F Erskine served in VN (perhaps it's the same)with the 7940 MOS: Sanitary Engineer (unfortunately there is no prefix). One joined the army in 1954 and the other in 1962.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest watchmanjimg

Great stuff! The Erskine jacket and the bottom jacket with Major's rank appear to be later versions of the M-1951. I especially like the last model with cotton/nylon shell and concave buttons. This type is probably my favorite of all the field jackets. I picked one up at a local flea market this morning, but traded it this afternoon as it was too small for me. I'm still looking for a nice one in Med/Reg or Med/Short.

• 5 months later...
This is a jacket I picked up off ebay a few years ago for $25.00. The jacket is Id'ed to a Capt Zurl. Capt Zurl apparently saw combat with the Special Forces before joining the New York Guard. He was also Korean jump qualified. The korean & us jump wings are foreign made and neatly zig-zag stitched. The special Forces patch is 1 piece and also foreign made. The new york guard patch is an early cut edge patch. I have been unlucky tracing Capt Zurl. If anyone has some info on him it would be greatly appreciated.

post-100-1169762072.jpg

Hi Jim!

I personally knew a Wayne ZURL who was Special Forces Rep. Vietnam ...who was at the time 184 a police sergeant in patchogue long island new york

i hope this helps you .......but i think he was a sarge in nam as well.....

let me know what happens if you are succesful in your search!

Raschid

• 1 year later...
Hi Jim!

I personally knew a Wayne ZURL who was Special Forces Rep. Vietnam ...who was at the time 184 a police sergeant in patchogue long island new york

i hope this helps you .......but i think he was a sarge in nam as well.....

let me know what happens if you are succesful in your search!

Raschid

Hi,

Wayne Zurl in Patchogue was also a Militaria dealer in the 1980s.

Best

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...