3rd Army 11th Infantry

labelkills254

labelkills254
What sources are you looking at? If you look up the history of the 11th Infantry you'll find it's pretty well spelled out. The regiment was assigned to the 5th Division continuously from 1917 to 1958.

I guess they landed under the 3rd Army, but they were attached to the 5th Infantry Division. Is that possible? I saw it on a couple random websites.

I guess they landed under the 3rd Army, but they were attached to the 5th Infantry Division. Is that possible? I saw it on a couple random websites.

The 11th Infantry was one of the three infantry regiments assigned to the 5th Division. The 5th Division was one of several divisions assigned to Third US Army. I think the confusion is coming from the fact that technically the 11th Infantry was part of Third Army, but it's part organization is the 5th Division, not Third Army.

labelkills254
The 11th Infantry was one of the three infantry regiments assigned to the 5th Division. The 5th Division was one of several divisions assigned to Third US Army. I think the confusion is coming from the fact that technically the 11th Infantry was part of Third Army, but it's part organization is the 5th Division, not Third Army.

That definitely clears it up for me, Thanks again for the info.

I think what is so frustrating and disheartening is the fact that someone "put together" or "faked" this uniform. I am just sick and tired of these individuals who feel it necessary to play "God" and create history at the expense of everyone else (and just for a few lousy bucks...or worse yet...the thrill of pulling a fast one). Labelkills254 you got hit with something that took you from the top of the world to the bottom in about 2 seconds and it is a horrible feeling (been there myself)! The rest of us now have one more paranoid feeling to deal with the next time we see a uniform for sale. I used to love collecting cloth but I have become gun shy to the point of acquiring things only if they are from the vet, his wife or the immediate family...and we all know that even those uniforms can be faked.

I guess all we can do is laugh at our mistakes...blackball those that take advantage (which we do quite well on this forum!)...and continue to study, study, study thus giving these jerks no possible means of an easy income!

Just my two cents,

Steve

P.S. Labelkills254 - I liked the uniform myself at first glance!

Yes and that may be a 1926 pattern coat, which do show up in use during WWII. One possible problem with this coat: the 11th Infantry was part of the 5th Division during WWII and not assigned to Third Army.

In 1939, the 11th joined the 5th Division at Fort McClellan, Alabama and by 1942 was on its way to Iceland and remained there for 15 months until the regiment moved to England. The regiment landed in Normandy on 10 July 1944 and fought its way across France as part of General Patton's famed Third Army.[/b] The 11th Infantry played a prominent role in the reduction of the fortified city of Metz in the fall of 1944. During the Battle of the Bulge, the 11th counter-attacked into the southern portion of the Bulge, engaging the Germans in bitter winter fighting. On 22 March 1945, the 1st Battalion made a night river assault across the Rhine River at Oppenheim, giving General Patton a division bridgehead over the Rhine two days ahead of Field Marshall Montgomery's famous crossing. The 11th Infantry ended the war in Czechoslovakia.

And all the time they were under the 5th ID.

Sorry you go burned as this seemed to be a very nice jacket.

Maybe the 11th Regiment DUIs were added later?

Erwin

Garandomatic

My 3rd Army combat engineer's uniform has a small piece of black eleastic fabric tying the two sides together just like that one does.

In 1939, the 11th joined the 5th Division at Fort McClellan, Alabama and by 1942 was on its way to Iceland and remained there for 15 months until the regiment moved to England. The regiment landed in Normandy on 10 July 1944 and fought its way across France as part of General Patton's famed Third Army.[/b] The 11th Infantry played a prominent role in the reduction of the fortified city of Metz in the fall of 1944. During the Battle of the Bulge, the 11th counter-attacked into the southern portion of the Bulge, engaging the Germans in bitter winter fighting. On 22 March 1945, the 1st Battalion made a night river assault across the Rhine River at Oppenheim, giving General Patton a division bridgehead over the Rhine two days ahead of Field Marshall Montgomery's famous crossing. The 11th Infantry ended the war in Czechoslovakia.

Correct, but they were part of the 5th Infantry Division and wore the 5th Inf. Div. SSI, not the Third Army SSI.

I'm not really sure how many times it needs to be reiterated, but the 11th Infantry was part of the 5th Division. I don't care what Wikipedia says....wait, how silly of me. Hold on....okay, Wikipedia no longer says that. Are we happy now? Can we let this die?

Here is the official lineage of the 1st Battalion, 11th Infantry: http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestru...0011in001bn.htm

Notice that it says "11th Infantry assigned 17 November 1917 to the 5th Division" and says nothing about the regiment's parent organization until it states "Redesignated 4 March 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 11th Infantry, and relieved from assignment to the 5th Infantry Division". That means it was part of the 5th Division from 1917 until 1958.

I'm sorry the uniform is put-together, but the 11th Infantry was NEVER assigned to the Third Army. Period.

• 10 years later...