3rd Army 11th Infantry

labelkills254

labelkills254

Here is another one I received in the mail today. Great shape fully loaded. All screwback DUIs and collar brass, clutch back sterling CIB and ribbon bars, pinback sterling marksman award, 4 overseas bars and 3 service stripes. Very cool jacket, it is visible on the inside of the sleeve through old stitching that this guy started as a corporal and worked his way up! There are six different stitch patterns for corporal, sergeant, staff sergeant, tech sergeant, 1st sergeant and master sergeant. Let me know what you think, I can post more pictures if anyone would like.

post-9378-1300996439.jpg

labelkills254

Interesting inside modification. I assume it was common to custom tailor uniforms, has anyone seen this type before?

post-9378-1300996538.jpg

labelkills254

Also all the buttons are held on with pins, this is characteristic of early uniforms right?

post-9378-1300996659.jpg

Also all the buttons are held on with pins, this is characteristic of early uniforms right?

Yes and that may be a 1926 pattern coat, which do show up in use during WWII. One possible problem with this coat: the 11th Infantry was part of the 5th Division during WWII and not assigned to Third Army.

Also is this a to support a Sam Browne belt or what?

No. Enlisted men wore a russet leather garrison belt, which is what the hooks are for. "Sam Brownes" were worn by officers.

Few things to consider in your evaluation:

Are the chevrons OD green embroidery on dark blue twill? They sure look like the 1951 style chevrons, but it could be the lighting.

There is no American Defense ribbon. Now, as we all know, ribbons for recently discharged soldiers can be less than perfect, but given the neat multi-place ribbon bars on a senior NCO jacket, I find it odd there is no American Defense ribbon (given his 9+ years of hashmarks).

No right shoulder combat patch. Certainly possible, but not typical for a WW2 infantry combat vet.

Kurt

labelkills254
Yes and that may be a 1926 pattern coat, which do show up in use during WWII. One possible problem with this coat: the 11th Infantry was part of the 5th Division during WWII and not assigned to Third Army.

According to a few sources the 11th regiment landed in Normandy on July 10th attached to the 3rd Army and fought with them throughout the Normandy Campaign.

Are the chevrons OD green embroidery on dark blue twill? They sure look like the 1951 style chevrons, but it could be the lighting.

There is no American Defense ribbon. Now, as we all know, ribbons for recently discharged soldiers can be less than perfect, but given the neat multi-place ribbon bars on a senior NCO jacket, I find it odd there is no American Defense ribbon (given his 9+ years of hashmarks).

No right shoulder combat patch. Certainly possible, but not typical for a WW2 infantry combat vet.

Kurt

Good eye on the stripes. I agree, if they are twill, then we have a major timing problem.

-Ski

labelkills254

Kurt

I understand these concerns, the chevrons are 1951 variations but it is possible that he stayed in the military until 1951 or later and even though not regulation he could have sewn these stripes onto his older uniform right? This could also explain why he doesn't have an American Defense ribbon because he could have entered service after 12/7/41 and served until the early 50s. Are these scenarios feasible? Thanks again guys.

I understand these concerns, the chevrons are 1951 variations but it is possible that he stayed in the military until 1951 or later and even though not regulation he could have sewn these stripes onto his older uniform right? This could also explain why he doesn't have an American Defense ribbon because he could have entered service after 12/7/41 and served until the early 50s. Are these scenarios feasible? Thanks again guys.

No, unfortunately, this jacket has no chance. It is a put-together. If you paid more than "sum of parts", you should seek a refund.

Kurt

No, unfortunately, this jacket has no chance. It is a put-together. If you paid more than "sum of parts", you should seek a refund.

Kurt

The Ruptured Duck is the real killer here. It was not issued after 1946 (or thereabouts). I'm pretty sure the 4 pocket uniform was already phased out by the time these stripes came out. Sorry.

-Ski

According to a few sources the 11th regiment landed in Normandy on July 10th attached to the 3rd Army and fought with them throughout the Normandy Campaign.

Maybe, but the 11th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the 5th Infantry Division and that is the SSI that the soldier would be wearing. The 5th Infantry Division was assigned to the Third Army, but divisions wear their own SSI. By your logic, all of the US infantry regiments of the US divisions at the Normandy landings should be wearing the SSI of First Army and not their divisional SSI (82nd ABN, 101st ABN, 1st INF, 4th INF, 29th INF, 90th Inf).

labelkills254
Maybe, but the 11th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the 5th Infantry Division and that is the SSI that the soldier would be wearing. The 5th Infantry Division was assigned to the Third Army, but divisions wear their own SSI. By your logic, all of the US infantry regiments of the US divisions at the Normandy landings should be wearing the SSI of First Army and not their divisional SSI (82nd ABN, 101st ABN, 1st INF, 4th INF, 29th INF, 90th Inf).

Thanks for being a jerk atb, that wasn't my logic just what I found after a brief internet search. This jacket is apparently a put together which stinks...but anyway. Anyone know anything about the orange fabric in the back of the uniform?

Thanks for being a jerk atb, that wasn't my logic just what I found after a brief internet search. This jacket is apparently a put together which stinks...but anyway. Anyone know anything about the orange fabric in the back of the uniform?

Jerk!!? Your statement was clearly meant to try and rectify the DUI with the SSI. I'll retract what I just wrote in anger about your completely uncalled for remark. Name calling is not necesary from you or me and is certainly beneath me.

I was unable to respond to your PM, as your mailbox is full.

labelkills254
Jerk!!? Your statement was clearly meant to try and rectify the DUI with the SSI. I'll retract what I just wrote in anger about your completely uncalled for remark. Name calling is not necesary from you or me and is certainly beneath me.

It was only an uninformed statement, I am new to this so give me a break!

It was only an uninformed statement, I am new to this so give me a break!

atb was just trying to be helpful. Look, we are sorry your uniform didn't pan out for you. We all learn from our mistakes, and I have definately made mine through the years. We have given you our advice in good faith and hopefully, you will accept it likewise.

-Ski

atb was just trying to be helpful. Look, we are sorry your uniform didn't pan out for you. We all learn from our mistakes, and I have definately made mine through the years. We have given you our advice in good faith and hopefully, you will accept it likewise.

-Ski

Exactly!

labelkills254

Look I am sorry if I got angry and carried away, I obviously am upset about my purchase. I understand that you guys are trying to help, but sometimes it does come across differently than originally anticipated because inflection is impossible when typing. That is the case here. Thanks to those of you who chimed in and helped to explain to me why this jacket is in fact incorrect. I have learned a lot from this thread!

Look I am sorry if I got angry and carried away, I obviously am upset about my purchase. I understand that you guys are trying to help, but sometimes it does come across differently than originally anticipated because inflection is impossible when typing. That is the case here. Thanks to those of you who chimed in and helped to explain to me why this jacket is in fact incorrect. I have learned a lot from this thread!

We're good! I know I have pissed off a fair amount of people here on the board through the years. It all comes down to the fact that we are not seeing eachother face to face, and that leaves a ton of misinterpretation out on the table. ;)

-Ski

What sources are you looking at? If you look up the history of the 11th Infantry you'll find it's pretty well spelled out. The regiment was assigned to the 5th Division continuously from 1917 to 1958.

Sorry to hear your jacket did not turn out as you expected. I have been burned before on uniforms, it certainly is not the best feeling in the world.

I hope things work out for you, and you can get a refund.

Justin