George M Searle USMC WWI to WWII

Bob Hudson

This belongs to a friend. He got it from the family of the Marine George M Searle, who enlisted 1 Jun 1917 and by the start of WWII was a Captain. In WWI he was attached To Company A, 6th Machine Gun Bn AEF France. After the war he went into law enforcement and at some point was commissioned in the Marine Corps Reserve. He later became Deputy Superintendent of the New York State Police and the department still gives out an annual George M. Searle Memorial Award.

searle.jpg

searlecard.jpg

searlecu1.jpgsearlephoto.jpg

Very interesting grouping, rather surprising there is no Good Conduct for active or reserve time. What are the other medals displayed?

I have no idea what the medals are: my friend sent me a 4x6 photo so it's hard to tell much. Who knows where the GCM is?

searlemedal1.jpg

Found this one listed on another site which quotes from Leatherneck:

Leatherneck, April 1934, “Second Division commemorative medal.” “Roosevelt recently presented them to Bundy, Harbord and Lejeune, etc.” The base is of silver bronze, in the form of a shield, with 2d Div star in relief with Indian head imposed in ivory enamel, colors Indian red, feathers white, etc. The words “Second Division Regulars in circular design of the Fourragere, around star, in circular design. Dates 1917-1918-1919 in circle.

Reverse side had an elongated shield for the wearer’s name below which a list of all operations.

Then “For Honorable Service In the Second Division, Regular, AEF.”

searlemedal2.jpg

And this one, according to http://www.gwpda.org/medals/frenmedl/france.html is

Chateau-Thierry Medal -- Created in July 1920 by the town, to celebrate the efforts of American and French soldiers who fought in the vicinity. Two basic designs exist for this medal, but there are variants. One design depicts, on its obverse, the busts of George Washington and Lafayette, both facing left, the latter in front. The words "Chateau-Thierry: Cote 204" are in raised letters on the 'sash' suspension device. The reverse has the image of the Legion d' Honneur. I've seen two variants of this first design. One has finer details, such as the inscription of "WASHINGTON" and "LAFAYETTE" around the rim of the obverse, and more delicate details in the suspension device. Another variant has more robust lettering, deeper relief and chunkier details in the suspension device. This other variant also has the artist's name inscribed in Lafayette's shoulder, where the finer variant has none.

The second design also has Washington and Lafayette, but has the pair facing right, Washington in front. The second design's reverse has a stylized sunburst below the inscription text. It has the deeper relief and chunkier details, similar to the variant of the first design.

searlemedal3.jpg

The above named website says this is

"Verdun Medal, created 20 november 1916, for issue to the soldiers in the battle for Verdun -- February to November 1916. There were six or seven different designs for the Verdun Medal's medallion. These were unofficial awards as far as the nation of France was concerned. As such, they could not be 'legally' worn on the military uniform as part of parade-dress.

They were awarded by the town itself, to Allied servicemen who fought between the Argonne and St.Mihel. As such, many American soldiers came back with this medal. Other versions of Verdun medal were struck as replacements, commemoratives, or just souviners, so possession of a Verdun medals does not necessarily denote active service in that area."

searleverdun.jpg

Searle was in France beginning June 1918:

Name: George M Searle

Muster Date: Jun 1918

Enlistment Date: 1 Jun 1917

Station: 15th Company Sixth Machine Gun Battalion AEF France

looks like he went out Aug 1919 as a corporal at Quantico ...no GCM listed.

and then reappears 20 years later as a Captain. Next time I talk to Capt Pendas, the retired Marine who owns this, I'll have to find out if he can fill in some details. Too bad the patch wasn't left on the uniform!