Stove, Mountain, M-1942

Got da Penny

Last Sunday I was able to make a sweet buy.

Designated the Stove, Mountain, M-1942 -- was a 17 oz folding stove,with 1/2 pint fuel capacity, that could operate for 2 hours on one tank. Its design took into account frigid weather and it was near guaranteed to ignite at low temperatures. As seen in the top photo above, it had tripod folding legs and tripod folding brackets on top of the burner to support a pan. The pressure pump was combined with the filler cap and contained a kit of spare parts.

Dealer said "Gimme $10 Bucks for it" ... thumbsup.gif

So I did. :D

post-633-1190776049.jpg

post-633-1190776053.jpg

post-633-1190776058.jpg

Carey

These pieces of gear were highly sought after by soldiers of all branches as they were light, compact and rugged. The design is quite simple and one can buy replacement parts for them from the Coleman Company. I have even taken mine camping with me as I can't think of anything that has come out on the market that is much better.

I was once told by a WWII veteran that these stoves fit perfectly inside a German military gas mask canister and that the aluminum case would often times be thrown away in favor of the gas mask canisters as they came with shoulder straps and were far more rugged. Obviously, the stove when kept in the aluminum case has to be carried in a musette bag etc.

Allan

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I just simply, love those m-42 stoves. So compact & well done

The bulk i have been trough were dated 1945, a few 1944 and rare 1942 (strange for a "m-1942" model)

The 1st pattern dated 1942 seems so hard to find and had a slight difference on a "wheel" (hard to explain)

Bilko is very knowledgeable in this field

Down here in europe we have many m-41 & m-42 stoves lefts, many from barn finds and not regular surplus.

So a many must have been used by the way ... Unfortunately i never saw many pics of it in use during ww2 ...

Here mine : "Aladdin 1944" found on a zone close to a "Major forward communication & zone depot area" for the 6th Corps of devers (3rd and 7th army) up to 150 miles from the frontline

post-3574-1245916860.jpg

I recently met a 94th Infantry Div. vet from Pottstown, PA and he said they weren't issued the stoves, but the armor divisions were. They worked up a scheme where one guy would talk to the tank commander while the other guys would sneak around to the other side and take the stoves that they had hanging on the side of the tank.

Another story he told me involved one of the stoves they obtained. He was in a fox hole in France and he told his buddy that he really wanted a hot cup of coffee, but they didn't have enough water. He said their fox hole had water at the bottom, but they had boards across it. He said if their fox hole had it, then the others did too. He said he crawled out at night and found another fox hole and sure enough, there was water and he scooped up some with his canteen cup. He took it back, heated it up with his stove and had his hot coffee. When they pulled out the next morning, his curiosity got the best of him and he walked over to look into the fox hole that he retrieved the water from and at the bottom was a dead German!

Jack

Here are most of my stoves. Both M1941 and M1942. My M1941's are dated, left to right, 1941, 1942, 1942, 1943, 1945 and 1945.

m41.JPG

And 2 of my M1942 stoves. The one on the left is the unmodified first model with the fuel valve positioned in the center under the burner. Akward to use at best. The one on the right is the modified model that has a bakelite fuel valve handle jutting out of the side of the unit. This is by far the most common type of stove seen.

m42.JPG