USAF 1950' Parachute

B52

Hi,

I just found this afternoon this parachute for USAF pilots in a little store in Paris.

I didn't manage to identify the pattern : could someone help me ?

Best regards,

B52

P3220007.jpg

P3220008.jpg

P3220009.jpg

P3220012.jpg

P3220010.jpg

P3220015.jpg

P3220013.jpg

P3220014.jpg

P3220008-1.jpg

P3220007-1.jpg

If anyone has a copy of Poynter's "The Parachute Book" handy, they can ID the chute from the numbers on the harness, pack, etc. Unfortunately, I am in N Carolina and my copy is home in Ohio. If you don't get an answer in a few weeks, send me a PM. I'll be home by then.

Tom

B52,

I went back and looked at your photos and all the information available on the chute is right there on that paper tag. It is a Model 50C7025-11 (Pattern of 1950) seat pack chute with a 28 foot canopy, manufactured by Atlantic in May of 1953 and last inspected in May of 1954.

If you are hoping to find out what aircraft it might have been used in, it could be anything from trainers to transports to bombers to piston fighters and, perhaps, even a few of the earliest jet fighters. No way of telling.

Tom

If anyone has a copy of Poynter's "The Parachute Book" handy, they can ID the chute from the numbers on the harness, pack, etc. Unfortunately, I am in N Carolina and my copy is home in Ohio. If you don't get an answer in a few weeks, send me a PM. I'll be home by then.

Tom

The 1991 edition of this indispensable reference is (mostly) available on Google Books! :thumbsup:

The parachute manual: a technical treatise on aerodynamic decelerators By Dan Poynter

Jump to page 283 for the details of specific chute types. I could not find the 50C7025-11 but it may be on one of the unavailable pages.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BKTuTXrXQ...p;q&f=false