M1911 Patton Sword

pony soldier

• 4 weeks later...

Pony,

I just returned from the Baltimore gun show in Maryland. I looked at 3 1911 swords forsale but they were well over my budget (6-7,000) but I wasnt aware you were collecting serial numbers so If I come across any others I will record them for you.

Mitch

pony soldier

Mitch:

Appreciate the note about seeing 3 more M1911's at the Baltimore show. Seeing as I am never likely to get back East again I am glad to hear from you. Please keep on the lookout for any Patton type sabers for their numbers. That would be the M1905/06, M1911 and the M1913 regular Patton. With any luck as you go to other shows in the area you may run into the same three again.

Thanks,

Ken Andrews

Pony Soldier

• 10 months later...

Al:

Thank you very much for posting the great photos of your "two 1911's". What a great treat to check in today and find these new members to the club. This is exactly what collecting means to me. The finding and sharing of all of the multitude of items we as a group collect. The locating and restoring to the fraternity of two more survivors of a century ago production. This serves to preserve vital data on a scarce issue. Just in this thread alone has been recorded 7 numbers of a 79 unit production. 114, 117, 120, 121, 125, 128 and 177. In my studies I have located 23 of the 79 which suggest time may reveal eventually 35-40 of the group. Seemingly a strange high survivor rate for such a low amount manufactured. Makes one wonder that after troop testing of the M1911 how they were collected an stored. If my original premise at the start of this thread is valid, then the last number made will be 178. Any one of them constitiute what I call a "rara avis". What is really amazing is that just a few years ago, none of this would have been possible. Now thanks to the Forum and Internet we can do this.

I noted that you are in New Jersey. By chance did you purchase these in NJ? When you acquired them was the previous owner able to convey any information on where got them or their history??

To a question: On the picture of the SN121 showing the 10th cav. markings, can you show a better picture or detail of the marking. The reason, in the 1913 issue of "The Rasp", a yearbook put out by the Cavalry Assn. there are pictures of troops modeling the M1912 experimental cavalry equipment such as the M1903 rifle carrier and boot and the M1911 saber. The info in the article indicates the troops were members of Troop D of the 11th cavalry. 79 sabers would be just enough to arm one troop and that is about what the picture shows.

Lastly it appears you have an interest in weapons made by Springfield Armory. By chance would you have any M1913 Patton sabers. If so, would you share the year and serial number. Also as you note, you have two 1911's and there exists a remote chance my arm could be completly twisted out of shape!!!!

Thanks again for sharing this great treasure.

Pony Soldier

Ken Andrews

[email protected]

I found this forum while researching a SA M-1911 Calvary Saber

Apparently I have the missing US # 155 of the 79 made

It is located in upstate New York

Hello Melrose:

My thanks to you for joining in and allowing one more number to the list of this rare saber. It would be most appreciated if you could post a picture of the saber and scabbard if one is available.

Pony Soldier

Hello Melrose:

My thanks to you for joining in and allowing one more number to the list of this rare saber. It would be most appreciated if you could post a picture of the saber and scabbard if one is available.

Pony Soldier

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, im new here. I just signed on, cause I recently found one of these that I have owned for awhile now and never bothered to look or find out anything about it. I can post pics when I get the chance. I do know my serial number is 116. And there is some stamping on the leather stopper thing. Forgive me, I new to the whole sabre thing.

• 6 years later...

It would appear he never did anything to it -atill has the gold and black paint, no washer, etc. Of some concern, in the pictures it appears there may be some red rust in the corroded areas of the blade. The estimate is $3-5K. It will be interesting to see what it fetches.

post-160923-0-12183200-1568762023_thumb.jpg

Another view. Note apparent hole in the guard. I've seen this in some M1913 sabers. Used for mounting swords for display?

attachicon.gifM1911 SN114 Poulin Oct 19 5 comp.jpg

I could certainly be used that way. I've also seen some of the felt pads secured to the saber using the hole, so it might have been done during service. Lots of sabers have that hole, and it's remarkably uniform in size and placement.

• 1 month later...

I think it would have gone for more if the elbow grease had already been done to get it back to original form. The market is also kinda soft, compared to how it was a few years ago.

But I agree, something this rare should have gone higher. I paid about $700 more for mine about four years ago, and it didn't even have a correct scabbard...someone had fabricated a replacement from a M1913 scabbard. It was actually very well done, but still...