Help ID These Shoes

Nkomo

I picked these shoes up recently at my local surplus shop for $5 dollars. They have a 10 stamped on the sole. Can anyone tell me what these are?

mystuff_052.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for your help!!!!

Arch

There is a photo of these with the velcro closures in Kevin Lyles' book "US INFANTRY VIETNAM" (Concord Publications) with the description:

"The Comfort Shoe, Type 2, or 'Bivouac Slipper':These were a part of the 'Delta Footwear' program developed for the 9th Infantry Division evaluation and eventual use. Designed so that the soldier could get out of wet boots and socks...[they] were a simple, velcro-fastened slipper which could be folded and kept in a pocket. 9th ID troops operated almost exclusively in the inundated Delta region and the Army was constantly looking for ways to reduce cases of immersion-foot and other water related problems."

The Army used the 9th ID for field testing a lot of new or experimental stuff.

Interesting...when did the US military start using velcro on equipment? I would have thought in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

The 1st and 2nd pattern two quart canteens, the 5qt collapsible canteen/floatation bladder, and the aircrew body armor"chicken-plate" , as well as the aircrew fire resistent shirts and pants all used velcro in their construction in the latter half of the 1960s.

JB

craig_pickrall

Velcro was actually a product developed for the military. It is called loop and pile fastener in military speak. It was first used in 1962. I am not sure when it was first used in civilian applications.

Velcro was invented in 1941 by a Swiss Engineer but not patented until 1951. The name Velcro comes from combining two French words for velvet and hook. This is from Wikiapedia.