Molle Gear: How to get that smell out?

abd1943

I recently picked up a Molle MSS (sleep system) carrier and it appears to have been stored in a damp environment and has quite an aroma to it (ok, so it smells like dried vomit). So I checked the Molle manual and washed in in mild detergent, which diminished the smell. I am currently drying it in a shaded area (again, not in direct sunlight per the Molle manual). Has anyone else dealt with the problem and if so, how did you successfully get that smell out without damaging the Cordura material? Incidentally, I have encountered the same smell in old camping equipment, but steered clear of it due to the smell. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Jay

I once bought some molle grenade pouches to later discover they all had the strong smell of cat urine. Multiple washes with soap did nothing. I ended up soaking them overnight in water that had hydrogen peroxide mixed in it. Did the trick and the material was just fine. Worth a shot.

I had not thought about hydrogen peroxide, but I have heard others have good results with it for others types of odors. I will let the bag air out some more, then give it a soak with the hydrogen peroxide.

thanks,

Jay