Guess what I did today?

Went to the SF camp and did some shooting.

Here is the table of weapons we got to shoot, the only thing not pictures is the 240B

slql9z.jpg

The premier of the show was the M-79

The multi-purpose XM576E1 "shotgun" round. The casing was marked 8-70, vintage ammo there

esp76a.jpg

Loading the M-79

2wef2hy.jpg

Firing

9veexc.jpg

The target flinched, just missed his neck. The plug cut a perfect hole, so not much shot displacement there.

2l9tzlj.jpg

The old war relic

2ii8hdx.jpg

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

I was going to say that old rellic and the M-79, but I thought I would see who would catch it.

The only let down is that we had to shoot it inside the compound, so HE was out of the question, even though they had bandoleers of HE laying around. The flares weren't going to be much fun, so I opted for the shotgun rounds, what a hoot.

Now that is cool! What a great day on the range for you.

Is that a Sterling second from the right on the table? Looks like an AK in there somewhere with teh M79. Can you ID everything on the table left to right?

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Regards,

Charlie

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Now that is cool! What a great day on the range for you.

Is that a Sterling second from the right on the table? Looks like an AK in there somewhere with teh M79. Can you ID everything on the table left to right?

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Regards,

Charlie

Sure thing, far left is a MP-5 sub gun, underfolding AK, M-79, M-249 assault variation, short barrel with no bipod and collapsible stock. Sterling and a full auto M4. On the ground out of sight is the M-240B machine gun. They didn't have much 9mm, so we only got one magazine apiece for the MP5 and Sterling.

Hawk

Pretty fun day for sure.

A friend of mine who does a bit of flying with AA told me they had flew out 55 gallon drums full of sterlings a couple years ago

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Now that was cool!

Your comment about the age of the M-79 rounds reminded me of the first time I served as Safety Officer for an 8" Howitzer Battery in 1978 while assigned to 2/75th FA. It was my first assignment and had only been in the battalion for a few months when we went to Grafenwohr for a month of live firing. I was really nervouse since this was the first time I'd saftied...and knew there was no room for error. I went to inspect the projos and powder - and about fainted. The powder cannisters were marked "Manufactured in 1944/Repackaged in 1956." :o

As we went through the registration process, one round would rock the howitzer back on the spade and lift a cloud of dust. The next, same gun same data, would fire with a "Pop," flames would lick out of the end of the tube and you could actually see the projo flying through the air. It took 18 rounds to get close to a registration - something that normally takes 5 to 7 - and when we shot the check rounds, the second landed 1500 meters short of the first. :nerv0003: I saw my career flying downrange with every shot.

That same trip we got a bad lot of fuzes and had 3 rounds fired at night reported as "Rounds unobserved, unheard" by the FOs. The radar traces showed that they did "splash" in the impact area...but I think that was the beginning of my gray hair.

Mark V

382957612.jpg

"If they're not shooting at you, you're not trying hard enough. Now move out and draw fire!"

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

34 year old artillery ammunition? Hopefully your unit basic load was a little bit more up to date!

And Steve... try not to enjoy Iraq too much!

I range fired the M-79 years ago... literally a blast and a half!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

Yep, I'm jealous. I think I've handled everything in the group but never had a chance at an M79 and I've ALWAYS WANTED TO SHOOT ONE!!! :jeal0001:

Always searching for items from 83rd Div (WWII), 3rd Div (Korea), and anything related to the Civil War in Arkansas or Missouri! Will buy or trade!

In memory of Pvt Roland L. Gates, Co G, 2nd Bn, 15th Inf, 3rd Division. KIA 15 June 1953 defending Outpost Harry.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

After VN, after leaving active duty, I joind the MDARNG (1972). My first drill turned out to be annual RANGE "week". Being a fifth wheel, I was invited to just go to the ranges and shoot, anything I wanted. I wound up at the M-79 range, where the two instructors (new 2LT and E-5) didn't seem to know much about the weapon and I wound up unintentionally "taking over". I became the Demonstrator....and Commentator,,,and de facto Chief Instructor. First I went through 72 training rounds (puff of smoke) then, while coaching everybody else, went through another 72 rds of HE with a few smokes mixed in.

It was great fun. But that night when I showered I discoverd that my shoulders were much bruised.

I alos spent a lot of taxpayer money on the M-60 and .50 ranges that weekend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.