Normandy relic or fake?

sgtbarnes44

Would you throw big money to buy that one. Seller is french and says he acquired it in Normandy. Never saw sgt stripes in front of an invasion para helmet but as I already found strange things digging on the battlefields...

post-647-1190741526.jpg

post-647-1190741541.jpg

I always get scared when I see one like this. Could be real... could be fake. Here's what I see.

#1 - Chin straps look much newer than the rest of the helmet

#2 - I have never seen a Para chin cup like the one in the picture

#3 - Opposing bullet entrance and exit holes(you have one entrance in from the front and one from the back, either would have been deadly, but of course we don't know the circumstances of how this all occured. In combat? or in some guys back yard two weeks ago)

#4 - Sgt. rank seems awful large. ranks were occasionally added by soldiers but, everything I've ever seen has been substantially smaller. Just an opinion.

#5 - Paint is rubbed off on the front of the liner and beneath that, there appears to be gray primer... liners were never primed! Big red flag!

#6 - Rust around holes seems new(if that makes sense) Most rust from 60+ years ago would most likely appear much darker giving you that much more desireable patina that would fit with this era helmet.

I guess I said all that to say that there are a lot of questions on this one, however that doesn't make it fake only questionable. It looks good but, the best opinion is still a guess without holding it in your hands. How much is your seller asking? Does he have a good record? Will he give you a money back inspection period? If he won't do that I wouldn't buy! My opinion... be very cautious!

Nice Picture of you!

WOW! "If" it is real! I guess that is the question!

I'm not an expert on M1 helmets but I'll offer some advice, and a few questions you may want to ask.

What is the provenance provided by the seller? You say he says he got it in Normandy, well, did he buy if from a militaria dealer last week? Purchase a farm and personally find it in the attic in 1950? Pick it up off the ground June 7, 1944? For “big money” seller needs to provide more information unless you have known him for many-many years and he is a very honest guy. Next you need to closely examine the artifact. Does the rust and wear look proper for what it is supposed to be? Does the wear on the paint of the insignia match the wear on the rest of the helmet? While I don’t think I would go into combat with the great big white rank on the front, I think a lot of paratroopers did have helmet nets on when they jumped on D-Day, so the insignia may not have shown much. I don’t have any of my books here, you need to do a lot of research on the Regiment and company that wore that particular Club insignia. There are quite a few pre- and post D-Day photo’s that may help. Research the actual construction of the helmet and liner. Is the liner made by the proper company that made liners for the M1 paratrooper helmets? Try to compare the “D” bails with a known original. I’m sure you will get other feedback. You may want to look for some other helmet or paratrooper sites. If you purchase it, you should require a long tearm money back garentee if you find out it is fake.

Good Luck!

I hope you can confirm it is “real”, what a great story it tells! Nice Looking color guard!

BKW

Bugme has valid points, and I agree with him. I also see other red flags wich would make me say that this is a fake. First thing that stood out for me is that the wear of the chinstraps is not congruent with the condition of the steel shell. I should see more pictures of the liner to make an a call on its originality, but if its mated with a painted piss pot, that would make me believe it is fake too.

Regards,

Stijn

Perhaps the insignia on the helmet is the reason why this soldier never made it home????

I honestly have no idea on this one. If it was "messed with", someone was awfully stupid to have messed up a nice M1C. To be completely honest here, this crap give me a headache. There are so many "what if's" out there, so many messed with pots, and outright fakes, I just get tired of judging pics. These things are in your hometown, with the guarentee that they are real.... keep looking

Chris

I'm just going to jump balls in and say I don't like it... to much inconsistency with the overall age for a so called "relic." Also, it isn't difficult to "cook" the insignia. Just take a look at Easy Green on eBay for example.

my gut instinct says it's a FAKE

the market seems to be flooded with WWII painted helmets these days? I wouldnt buy it

unless a WWII Normandy vet actually brought this helmet back, I wouldnt believe any second hand stories about where the helmet was found.

Well, from what I can see on the pics, I would be very careful with this helmet... Hundreds of Easy Company helmets have miraculously been found out 'in Normandy' since BoB. Moreover, there is no NCO stripe at the back of the helmet, while we do have a sergeant insignia at the front. As far as I'm concerned, I would not buy it. Definitely. thumbdown.gif

There is no way in hell that is an original, ie not fake, M2. There are numerous things that others have already highlighted which are reasons to disbelieve the seller. But the fact which seals it for me is this. Real M2 D bales were not made of stainless steel. Given the apparent "rust" and tarnishing around the bail tabs and other areas of pot, you have to ask yourself why are the areas of the bales which have paint loss so fresh? I'll tell you why, because they were put on the pot, along with the markings, last week.

thumbdown.gif

Chris

• 4 months later...
General Apathy

Just to give it that final touch of authenticity it should now be run over by a Sherman tank and that should complete the story.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I REALLY hope someone didnt take an original M2 and prime and paint it before shooting holes in it....................

Hey Costa, with those holes in it, it's not even a good pot to piss in!!:)

Mike

It would be a good piss pot if you were standing over somebody you didn't like. :D

Oops sorry. I didn't know there was a hole in it. :rolleyes: