Ultrarare scuba diver cartridge belt

artu44

'Flage Guy
That's something different, looks like the hardware is nickled?

I've never seen one of these things up close and personal; I'm thinking that it's all brass, like many of the early '40s and early '50s Cartridge Belts. I'm almost tempted to buy one just to find out :blink:

RustyCanteen

Hi Robin,

I don't know if the 1943 edition has it listed or not (the later KW era ones did), but if you have the time try looking for the page with the cartridge belt being used for a weight belt.

'Flage Guy

Robinb: Thanks for posting that; been a lot of years since I looked inside the Navy Manual.

Almost invariably, Navy gear (or any gear, for that matter) was tweaked and modified when civilian divers got ahold of it, as opposed to the military's discipline of rigging a diver strictly according to regulations. The harness straps on the Weight Belt had to be run outside the top shoulder nuts on the breastplate to prevent them from wedging in between them and the neck ring, so in the commercial world they were removed and replaced with rope, which eliminated this possibility. Below is a Navy Lightweight Belt which was modified in this manner...

post-3226-1306094053.jpeg

• 2 years later...
RustyCanteen

Came across this old thread

Actually the standard web cartridge belt was authorized for use with weights during WWII & the KW. as mentioned by sgtbrown.

And I came across it again, nearly 3 years later here it is:

From 1970 USN Dive Manual:

belt1.jpg

belt2.jpg