Repro Website Reference

pconrad02

I was thinking that in might be a good idea to start a tread dealing with dealers selling repro US militaria. I am not saying that these folks are doing anything wrong, by any means. But regardless of how you feel on this subject I think that it is good to be able to see what is being reproduced out there. I have seen a lot of these guys stuff turn up on the secondary market (as have we all). For the new collectors I think this would be a great reference. Again, I am not accusing these merchants of any wrongdoing; they are all up front about their stuff being reproductions.

I’ll start with a few I always check:

NCHSINC.COM http://www.nchsinc.com/

*************** Gallery http://www.1903.com/

What Price Glory http://www.whatpriceglory.com/usinsig.htm

Schipperfabrik http://www.schipperfabrik.com/1e-ami_insignia.html

Garcia Aviation Co http://www.garciaaviation.com

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com

2007 spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.png2017 spacer.pngspacer.png

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

And a potential very big problem because of the nature and quality of the reproductions are the M1 helmets painted up by the ebay seller known as easy_green. They also have a website at www.m1helmet.com. They openly acknowledge these are reproductions, but even so, buyers snap them up at almost $400 each. In the future (and perhaps already) some of these will be resold to unsuspecting collectors for thousands of dollars. Click on some of the images in this gallery to get an idea: http://www.m1helmet.com/Gallery.html

By the way, for those who want a cheap and easy reproduction, we always have this option:

easygreen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This easy green guys stuff is VERY SCARY!!

Paul Conrad

www.conradwings.com

Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

• 4 weeks later...

This afternoon we had an membership request and as we do with all requests we make a quick Google check to try to ensure its not a spammer (they often register with dozens of forums under the same user name and/or email address).

Well this guy turned out to be a maker and seller of faked painted helmets. Now he is probably a very nice guy and his website even has the disclaimer "not responsible for false representation of authenticity in the case of second-hand sales of [his] products."

However I decided that we can make one tiny step in opposition to the growing faking of helmets by rejecting this membership request.

I understand that some reenactors have a need for reproductions, but frankly, faked M-1 helmets have such potential for fraud that we need to take a strong stand against them. No one's going to suffer too much harm if they shell out $30 for a reproduction pistol belt, but M-1 helmets can go for hundreds of dollars and responsible makers and sellers of this things should find the most permanent paint there is and paint "REPRODUCTION" inside these things because - disclaimers aside - they are responsible for putting these forgeries on the market.

Capt.Confederacy
This afternoon we had an membership request and as we do with all requests we make a quick Google check to try to ensure its not a spammer (they often register with dozens of forums under the same user name and/or email address).

Well this guy turned out to be a maker and seller of faked painted helmets. Now he is probably a very nice guy and his website even has the disclaimer "not responsible for false representation of authenticity in the case of second-hand sales of [his] products."

However I decided that we can make one tiny step in opposition to the growing faking of helmets by rejecting this membership request.

I understand that some reenactors have a need for reproductions, but frankly, faked M-1 helmets have such potential for fraud that we need to take a strong stand against them. No one's going to suffer too much harm if they shell out $30 for a reproduction pistol belt, but M-1 helmets can go for hundreds of dollars and responsible makers and sellers of this things should find the most permanent paint there is and paint "REPRODUCTION" inside these things because - disclaimers aside - they are responsible for putting these forgeries on the market.

Amen to that, and kudos to you for doing that.

I can see reenacting gear being made, but it's no skin off anyone's nose to at least mark the gear "REPRO" somewhere so collectors years later won't get milked for quite a few bucks. One website that makes reenacting gear refuses to mark any of their stuff reproduction with some lame excuse that collectors "have to do their homework". How much "homework" will bear fruit if the repros are made exactly like the originals right down to fake dates? Sure, if the gear looks brand new, that's an indication. However, if the gear gets some wear and tear via reenacting events, there goes that indicator.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

Of course this is the problem with all repros, if they are made just like the originals, after a few years they become indistinguishable from the real thing. With the amount of money to be had, I don't think we will be able to stop any of this anytime soon. It's too bad too, this is what got me out of "Nazi crap" 25 years ago, now it's getting also as bad with US stuff. mad.gif

Paul Conrad

www.conradwings.com

Capt.Confederacy
Of course this is the problem with all repros, if they are made just like the originals, after a few years they become indistinguishable from the real thing. With the amount of money to be had, I don't think we will be able to stop any of this anytime soon. It's too bad too, this is what got me out of "Nazi crap" 25 years ago, now it's getting also as bad with US stuff. mad.gif

That repro junk is what got me out of Civil War collecting, and it's spreading to other areas as well. I wish some kind of legislation would be passed requiring all historical gear be clearly marked "REPRODUCTION" or "COPY" as has to be done with imitations of coins and currency.

donation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

The problem with marking it Repro, is that a lot of folks who want repros wont then buy it.

SOF tend to put "1944 Airborne.com" on stuff, which looks bloomin awfull and will stop a lot of sales.

But firms shouldn't have any problem putting say =

W.P.G. ltd

A.T.F. canvas

J.C. IMP LTD

Its not perfect, but they are at least stamped wrong, but from a repro customers point of view they dont look wrong think.gif

Gliderinf

327th GIR,505th PIR,359th IR, 70th TB

The problem with marking it Repro, is that a lot of folks who want repros wont then buy it.

Its not perfect, but they are at least stamped wrong, but from a repro customers point of view they dont look wrong think.gif

They are the problem: if someone has a reproduction and cannot handle having REPRODUCTION stamped inside where it cannot be seen in normal use and display, then I would suspect their motive is to someday sell it as the real thing. I won't buy into the "accurate reenacting" thing: if someone is reenacting with an airborne helmet painted in 2006 by some guy in Pasadena or Peoria, they are wearing what is essentially costume headgear and it won't be any less accurate if the inside is stamped with the name of the costume shop that made it.

I can't blame the makers of faked helmets: there's big money to be made from buyers who just don't care about militaria collecting and don't care that they are polluting the waters for future collectors.

OK, well at the risk of having my head bitten off, I'm a collector / re-enactor, so i have a lot of Original and a lot of repro.

I dont want anything that has Repro written on it.

I haven't ever sold any kit (repro or original) and don't ever intend too.

Now i'm not representative, because most people buy and sell and swap. So i'm just stating where i stand.

without Repro gear- re-enactment just aint gonna happen. People aint gonna shell out for stuff that dont look right.

Gliderinf

OK, well at the risk of having my head bitten off, I'm a collector / re-enactor, so i have a lot of Original and a lot of repro.

I dont want anything that has Repro written on it.

I haven't ever sold any kit (repro or original) and don't ever intend too.

Now i'm not representative, because most people buy and sell and swap. So i'm just stating where i stand.

without Repro gear- re-enactment just aint gonna happen. People aint gonna shell out for stuff that dont look right.

Nah, we won't bite your head off: that's the other forum :)

"stamped with the name of the costume shop that made it. "

Well yes, thats fine, thats what i said. if its from say ATF then stamp it A.T.F. canvas, etc

Therefore colectors know that A.T.F. canvas is not a ww2 firm, but it doesn't look silly. thumbsup.gif

Gliderinf

Actually talking of Costume shop, I have a Greatcoat marked "Warner Brothers Studios" but its real! :D

Gliderinf

• 5 months later...

One of the worst things you can do is have the word repo marked on something. The real crooks will remove that marking and be able to say it not marked, can't be a repro. Instead be careful and inspect what you buy. You can tell if its a repro by inspection 99.9% of the time. Even the best made repro's will always miss a spot. Even the best made restrikes will miss one spot and it just takes some time to learn how and ID. I make repro's and help ID many at shows, even ones I did not make. Some of the top dealers have shown me items and they were certain they were real, I showed them why they were not. Paul listed me above as one of the repro dealers, 2nd listing.

Who buys repros. Of course re-enactors, but you would be surprised at many of the others. I have sold to museums, who have taken a real item and locked it away and put my repro on display, usually after someone tried to steal the real one. Major colletors who are missing one item from a display board or collection. Newbies who want to get started and can't aford a $3000 WWI Dallas wing.

I am thinking of putting together a field guide on how to ID repro metal insignia, what do you think?

good points, all!

One thing I have noticed and is interesting on how a reproduced item can spark a new market,example: Garcia Aviation they make repro items for the E-3-E-17 kits.Before they did this empty flasks were near worthless you almost could not give them away,now they are being snatched up and repro components being bought to fill the kits by collectors/reenactors etc..

I personally own reproductions because I am a reenactor that likes to display his originals. However, I am 6'5" and 245 lbs and original uniforms/gear is hard for me to come by! Besides, don't want to ruin originals! So, for me, reproductions have their place.

An interesting side note...

But firms shouldn't have any problem putting say =

W.P.G. ltd

A.T.F. canvas

J.C. IMP LTD

At The Front actually marks their pieces with combinations of Kirkman or Crawford (Family names), Columbia (the town they are in) and have even used their phone number!

Knowledge is key!

FT

One of the worst things you can do is have the word repo marked on something. The real crooks will remove that marking and be able to say it not marked, can't be a repro. Instead be careful and inspect what you buy. You can tell if its a repro by inspection 99.9% of the time. Even the best made repro's will always miss a spot. Even the best made restrikes will miss one spot and it just takes some time to learn how and ID. I make repro's and help ID many at shows, even ones I did not make. Some of the top dealers have shown me items and they were certain they were real, I showed them why they were not. Paul listed me above as one of the repro dealers, 2nd listing.

Who buys repros. Of course re-enactors, but you would be surprised at many of the others. I have sold to museums, who have taken a real item and locked it away and put my repro on display, usually after someone tried to steal the real one. Major colletors who are missing one item from a display board or collection. Newbies who want to get started and can't aford a $3000 WWI Dallas wing.

I am thinking of putting together a field guide on how to ID repro metal insignia, what do you think?