Cast reproduction WWI Wings?

shrapneldude

Hello, everyone? Anyone who can help, it would be greatly appreciated! I have these wings here. I believe they're WWI...they say "US" on the shield, have a swing-pin back, marked "STERLING" and also, there's a hallmark I can't make out -- looks like 3 different shapes, the center one being larger than the other 2.

If you know what it is, eMail me or reply, any help would be appreciated! Is it just a Pilot wing, or gunner, or any other type of pilot-ish wings they wore? I'm not an Air guy, so this is a new subject to me!

post-1424-1190692513.jpg

post-1424-1190692520.jpg

post-1424-1190692526.jpg

post-1424-1190692533.jpg

post-1424-1190692548.jpg

This is a WWI pattern. It was made by NS Meyer and also the William Link Co. I fear, however, that your wing is a cast reproduction of these wings. For example, the "US" of these wings were applied to the wings, in you example they look to be cast into the shield. The detail is very rough as well.

Better quality scans of the wing would help, but it sure does look like they are cast reproductions. Here are some higher quality NS Meyer restrikes that give you an idea of the quality of what a real one looks like. These are NOT real WWI vintage wings, but rather some of the better restrikes that have been coming out over the last few years.

Hope that helps

Patrick

post-1519-1190695735.jpg

I agree with Patrick - the lack of detail combined with what looks to be evidence of casting from the photo of the reverse side of the wing.

Regards

John

*************** Galleries most likely, http://www.1903.com/productlist.asp?categoryID=9 he has a few different versions of these I think. This is a good bookmark to have, as a lot of his WWI stuff turns up on the secondary market being sold as real.

None of the hallmarks look like mine. I had a buddy tell me when I got these that they may have been foreign-made, just after the war? Any ideas? Or are they flat-out-fake?

shrapneldude,

As stated above, this style is associated with NS Myer, WC Link and Company, Affiliated Military Stores, and the Army and Navy Store. It is not known which of these companies was the first to manufacture this style, or even if one manufacturer made them all, and hallmarked them for retail trade. It is most likely though that the firms hallmarked on the wings were actually the manufacturer and some other firm manufactured (and sold them) the die.

All correct wings of this type are sharply die struck with separately applied letters "US." They are usually made of sterling silver however, coin silver, german silver, and nickel are not unheard of. The "US" is usually gold, but again, other medals are not unheard of.

The back of a die struck badge will normally be perfectly flat, or have some impression from the hob used to press the blank into the die. Either way, it will not be have a "melted butter" impression usually seen in a casting.

The edges of a die struck badge will usually show evidence of the medal being forced into the die. However on finely finished pieces, this die "flash" will sometimes be polished and chased by a jeweler eliminating it.

Also, the type of catch and the type of pin are be important. A WW1 era jewelry pin will usually only open 45 to 90 degrees. Modern pins will open the full 180 degrees. Early catches are quite distinctive, and for most WW1 wings are generally one of three types: Tiffany, Drop-in, or Simple. A rollover safety catch is a dead giveaway that the wings were made after WW1

With all the fakery, any set of WW1 wings should automatically be viewed with suspicion. After you have seen enough of them, the real ones stand out, and it becomes easier to tell the fakes.

Some things would that weigh in favor of originality:

- Sterling silver and gold multi piece construction

- Very sharp detail

- Old style pin and catch

- Perfectly flat/smooth back or back that shows hob impression

Some things that weigh against originality:

- Worn, or melted butter appearance

- Details appear watery, not sharp

- Modern pin/catch

- US intergral to the badge (not separately applied)

I hope this helps. But what we really need are better pictures to help you make a call.

Chris

Some reference photographs of wings of this type:

post-594-1190780205.jpg

NS Meyer

post-594-1190780232.jpg

Another NS Meyer

post-594-1190780257.jpg

Robbins

Photographs are from the internet.

post-594-1190780294.jpg

So, are the Robbin's wings correct WWI? These look just like them -- same hallmark, doesn't have a "melted butter" back -- I'm working with the digital camera for a better shot now of the back.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

• 1 month later...