US Navy Gravity rope knife .

Navy Dan

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to get this knife for over 2 years and finally got it.

It is missing a screw on the handle and it appears that someone has cleaned the blade but I know these are hard to find from the research I found on the internet.

All opinions are welcomed also the catch to stop the blade seems to have a problem retaining the blade.

Thanks Dan

post-2552-1300575710.jpg

post-2552-1300575722.jpg

Hi Gunbarrel,

Thanks for the info I also have one like the drawing on that list . That is the same publication that I printed an article about the gravity knife from.

Just can't stay awzy from the blades LOL.

Thanks Again

Dan

Dan,

You are welcome! I think you will enjoy the following Mike Silvey articles:

November 2009 OKCA Knewsletter – "A New Navy Knife of Old"

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/Newsletter%200911.pdf

November 2010 OKCA Knewsletter – "Smith Bros Navy Knife Revisited"

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/Newsletter%201011.pdf

It is rumored that the guy that told Mike Silvey about the knife's connection to the USS Maine goes by the initials "GB" in some forums ;)

Frank Trzaska
It is rumored that the guy that told Mike Silvey about the knife's connection to the USS Maine goes by the initials "GB" in some forums ;)

That is not a rumor, it is a fact.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Thanks GB,

Here are the other two Navy knifes in my collection.

the top is a camillus knife and spoon which came with a WW I Naval Aviation grouping.

The bottom one is an Acme England hallmark but the locking mechanism is missing but looks good on display.

Thanks Again for the info.

Dan

post-2552-1300641229.jpg

• 10 years later...
Galvanic1882

Reviving this post with one I just got plus 2 other Navy knives. The other 2 are both made by New York Knife Co but one is marked OVB and all are etched NAVY KNIFE.

Mike  

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

OVB stands for (Our Very Best) and is usually associated with Hibbard,Spencer, Bartlett & Co. a major presence in the U.S. hardware scene in the 19th and 20th century.  They used the OVB label on a wide array of their products, not just knives.  The New York Knife Co. is known to have been one of their knife suppliers.  I will say that most of the OVB examples I've seen were tang stamped Hibbard Spencer Bartlett.

Also before closing in 2006 Camillus also ran a line of knives as their own OVB.

Galvanic1882
On 4/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, sactroop said:

OVB stands for (Our Very Best) and is usually associated with Hibbard,Spencer, Bartlett & Co. a major presence in the U.S. hardware scene in the 19th and 20th century.  They used the OVB label on a wide array of their products, not just knives.  The New York Knife Co. is known to have been one of their knife suppliers.  I will say that most of the OVB examples I've seen were tang stamped Hibbard Spencer Bartlett.

Also before closing in 2006 Camillus also ran a line of knives as their own OVB.

Yep I know that been collecting knives for years thanks for adding that info. Mike